• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapping Badger rings

LWILLIAMS

Nobody
Minuteman
May 30, 2006
Gillette, Wyoming
Who laps there Badger rings. I personally dont but I have a buddy who insists it is a must or you will dent your scope. I dont lap and have never seen these dents. What do you guys think. No reason to remove metal when there is nothing wrong is my opinion.

Re: Lapping Badger rings

I've never lapped a Badger ring. Ask your buddy why and how not lapping the rings will dent your scope tube.

I use Badger rings too, and from what I understand they are precision bored in pairs, so lapping them seem unnecessary. I posted yesterday about American Rifle Company rings, and if you check this link out it explains how the scopes get those dents in them. Scope damage from rings

Dont lap badger rings. Would your buddy lap his scope tube to make sure its round too? How can he insure that the lapping bar is true and the correct diameter and that he is running it perfectly back and forth in the rings?

Never lapped them and never screwed up a scope with them either.

I lap every ring that I mount.It not the ring thats not true,its mostly the action.Scewing the base to an action that is not straight causes the base or bases to be out of line.Even a strong one piece base will flex and mate itself to the action,unless bedded.Unless you are lucky and your action is straight,you have three choices.You can lap the rings,bed the bases or leave them out of line.Very few actions are straight,just as only a few are really bad.If I start to lap a set of new rings and find that I'm cutting more than about 10 percent of the surface then I bed them.This has been discussed a lot,and will never be settled.There are lots of opinions,and most everybody has a method that works.Pick the method that you like,learn to do it correctly,and go with it. Pete

With the quality of machining and materials of construction used in good rings, bases, and scopes I do nothing more than bolt it all together and go shoot it. People need to quit trying to out think this shooting stuff and just put more rounds down range.

I think you make a good point. Especially if you use two piece bases. I used a Badger one piece base and rings mounted on my Remington XCR and they lined up perfectly. The base seem to fit the receiver very well. I never thought about the base distorting when screwed down to the receiver, but I agree it could easily be distorted if the fit is not good. Being a machinist I just had to check my base with and test indicator for flatness. Results: less than .001" total variance. Guess I got lucky.