• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Lapping required??

Re: Lapping required??

I don't think lapping is "automatically" necessary or required, and Badger doesn't think so either. Still, many customers swear by it, and it does have its proponents.

I think lapping should be treated as a solution to a problem, rather than a predetermined treatment.

I'm sure others will chime in.

Good luck,

Scott

I mount the rings to the base and set the scope in the bottoms. If it feels like the scope doesn't sit in the rings without sticking then I lap. YMMV

Personally I lap every set of rings that I get. I see no point is unnecessarily risking damage to my expensive optics out of laziness or being cheap. So my suggestion is this:

I don't care where I got the rings or how much I paid for them, I'm still going to lap them.

I'm with Longshot on this one, I lap all my rings. It doesn't take long and it's cheap insureance and I know it's perfect.
myerfire

I lap all of my rings. It's easy and then I know I every set of rings will fit perfectly.

After you lap them, I'd recommend that you mark them so you know which top half goes with it's lapped bottom half ring so when you take the rings off to swap a scope out you can reassemble them and know which piece goes where. Lapping is unidirectional.

NXSringmark.jpg

I put a score across the left side, two on the front set, one on the back.

(yeah that score mark is ugly but after a number of scope and rifle swaps, it's earned it's place)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally I lap every set of rings that I get. I see no point is unnecessarily risking damage to my expensive optics out of laziness or being cheap. So my suggestion is this:

I don't care where I got the rings or how much I paid for them, I'm still going to lap them. </div></div>

+1....

I've never lapped rings, or felt the need to. I have always used good rings though, so maybe I've been spoiled.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....am i seeing things, or are that a ring mark just to the left of the red oval ? </div></div>

It was a superficial rubbing mark, wiped right off. The NF coating is really tough tho prone to leave light scuff marks when rubbed up against things.

yeah i have never lapped any of my rings, i dont feel that the Seekins need it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I lap, it's cheap easy insurance. </div></div>

Same here.

I only lap if the scope sticks when set in the bottom rings mounted on the base. I also mark my tops to match my bottom. A small F and R punch on the inside flat face of the rings keeps them straight and you would not be able to tell unless you knew to look for the mark.

I dont understand only checking the ring bottoms, the tops are just as likely to cause problems. I agree with Scott on this though. Check for problems, if there are none then no fix is needed. Its not a matter of laziness.

okie

fwiw: I'm going off memory.........
crazy.gif

I'd mic the main scope tube on the NF. Believe NF are on the larger OD size than most and most that knew in the past did lap their rings = Cheap Insurance. I do recall lapping mine when I had a NF.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Someone recall, have a link, or can back my info. on this, please do. </span></span>

"I believe/assuming, again, not 100%"...Seekins makes rings that are for NF scopes. I would PM Mr. Glen Seekins first at see.

Have a great one

I lap mine... it only takes a few minutes and it certainly works if anything is off by a few thousandths of an inch in the alignement.

It doesn't matter who the maker of the rings are. Some will require lapping some will not. Even my NF rings had to be lapped, very minimal but lapped none the less. I find it humorous that people will pay $1000-$3000 for a scope $100+ for rings but not $30-$70 for a lapping kit. JMO

I love it. This argument is just like so many others -- like barrel break-in.

If you've got a high-quality one-piece base, and high-quality rings, then lapping makes absolutely no sense. Lapping removes any finish inside the rings (losing strength if they're aluminum, and corrosion-resistance if they're steel), and leaves a nice sharp edge where there was once a bevel. It does nothing to keep a scope securely in place that proper torque would fail to accomplish.

Lapping makes sense used in conjuntion with with two-piece bases, if the rings <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> don't line up. Ideally, then, the rings should be re-finished -- or simply silver soldered to the scope. Think German claw mount.

you know....a great person to ask is Chris at SWFA....he sees all kinds of things....from fuck-ups to no-brainers....after all....its his business.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LFOD1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If you've got a high-quality one-piece base, and high-quality rings, then lapping makes absolutely no sense. </div></div>

Its often not the base and rings thats the problem, its the reciever they get mounted to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LFOD1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If you've got a high-quality one-piece base, and high-quality rings, then lapping makes absolutely no sense. </div></div>

Not true.

Now don't take this out of context here, because it's just a question from someone who's never lapped rings, but has anyone ever seen an improvement after lapping rings? I'm talking a good set of rings. If so, what was the improvement? Groups get better? Zero wander, or scope slip before lapping? Or is it a procedure just done to not mar the scope body?

Just the latter, for me. Didn't want to mess up the scope tube.
Of course I use $50.00/pair rings. I can buy 48 pairs for what my SN-3 would cost to replace.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a procedure just done to not mar the scope body?

</div></div>

Yes, and to remove any stress on the scope that may cause it to fail.

I have felt the scope "stick" with Badger rings and a one piece Badger base. So, it doesn't matter what setup you use, some will need it and some won't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now don't take this out of context here, because it's just a question from someone who's never lapped rings, but has anyone ever seen an improvement after lapping rings? I'm talking a good set of rings. If so, what was the improvement? Groups get better? Zero wander, or scope slip before lapping? Or is it a procedure just done to not mar the scope body?

</div></div>

Lapping isn't one of those make or break procedures (like bedding an action). I do it primarily so there's more contact surface from the rings to the scope so there's less chance of it slipping in the rings if I clunk it on something. And it ensures there are no areas that will pinch the scope tube, leaving marks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LFOD1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Its often not the base and rings thats the problem, its the reciever they get mounted to.</div></div>

How is that possible? If the base won't fit right to the receiver, how would lapping the rings help you out?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LFOD1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Its often not the base and rings thats the problem, its the reciever they get mounted to. </div></div>
This is "true". However, if the receiver is the underlying problem it would be better (although almost assuredly more expensive and time-consuming) to have the problem with the receiver solved, rather than ruining good rings by lapping them. Not only are you sticking a band-aide on top of the real problem but the rings are now specific to that base and receiver.

Keith

had to lap my Badger Max-50 ultra highs on my Windrunner with my Nightforce. The lapping was perfectly uniform all the way around so I know the rings were true, just a little undersized

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LFOD1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LFOD1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Its often not the base and rings thats the problem, its the reciever they get mounted to.</div></div>

How is that possible? If the base won't fit right to the receiver, how would lapping the rings help you out? </div></div>

If using a 1 piece base, you should check to see if it sits on the receiver without and rocking. If the front is not in the same plane, when you torque the base it will stress the scope. If so you should bed the base and lap the rings. This should help alleviate stress placed on the scope body and provide a more secure grip.

I have never lapped a set but I might on my nest build just for shits and giggles

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dinosdeuce</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LFOD1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LFOD1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

How is that possible? If the base won't fit right to the receiver, how would lapping the rings help you out? </div></div>

If using a 1 piece base, you should check to see if it sits on the receiver without and rocking. If the front is not in the same plane, when you torque the base it will stress the scope. If so you should bed the base and lap the rings. This should help alleviate stress placed on the scope body and provide a more secure grip.

</div></div>

Right on the money.

I just installed a set of 1" TPS steel rings on the factory two-piece Weaver base system that comes on the Sako A7.

Despite being good quality rings, the scope did bind in the front ring, and I figured it was a problem with base alignment.

Phil at TPS directed me to a product that seems pretty cool if you are averse to lapping. I chose to lap the rings and did not purchase the alignment bar, so I offer this without endorsement.

http://www.tpsproducts.com/product_info.php?cPath=10&products_id=30

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone who owns a NF read you manual. Bet it says something about lapping.</div></div>

Something like.... what?

Thanks,
-Slice

Nightforce Manual

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nightforce_Manual</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most production rifle actions or ring and base combinations are not manufactured accurately enough to ensure proper alignment out of the box. After properly securing bases and rings to the action, alignment and compression of the rings is required prior to mounting the riflescope. To fulfill this requirement a 30mm lapping bar kit is available from Nightforce or other suppliers of precision shooting products. This lapping bar kit consists of a steel bar 30mm in diameter with a handle attached and a nonimbedding lapping compound. This tool is used to remove unnecessary material from the lower halves of the rings eliminating misalignment. This procedure allows both rings to align with one another, thus creating a stress-free platform for the riflescope.
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Step One</span></span>
With bases and lower halves of the rings securely mounted to the rifle, mount the 30mm steel lapping bar and tighten top ring
halves. This procedure will cause the rings to compress and take set to the lapping bar instead of the tube body of the riflescope.
Do not use the riflescope in place of the steel lapping bar.
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Step Two</span></span>
Remove the lapping bar and apply lapping compound to the lower ring halves. Perform lapping procedure until a maximum of 75% of
the surface area has been lapped of the lower ring halves. (Note: or until the bar moves freely. i.e. no binding halves.)
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Step Three</span></span>
Remove the lapping bar and clean all surfaces with alcohol or other solvent to ensure an oil free surface.</div></div>
I do it "just cause..." if that makes me wrong, I can live with that.