• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapping Seekins MXM Cantilever scope mount?

KellenQ

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2022
Saint Charles, MO
I bought a Seekins MXM Cantilever scope mount to pair with my Vortex Viper PST II 5-25x50. Since the purpose of this build was a long range gas gun do I need to lap the scope base? I’ve heard you should lap the rings, but I’ve also heard quality rings shouldn’t need to be lapped. I would like to avoid unneeded work if possible, but accuracy is of the utmost importance for this build.

i used to lap all my rings i just mounted 3 scopes the last week i do use the lapping bars to make sure the rings are aligned. if it runs through the lower rings with no resistance good to go havent lapped one for some time.

Reactions: KellenQ
i used to lap all my rings i just mounted 3 scopes the last week i do use the lapping bars to make sure the rings are aligned. if it runs through the lower rings with no resistance good to go havent lapped one for some time.
This is a mount so it is a solid piece. Do you lap scope mounts as well or just rings? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm new to the precision game. Most I have done is put together a handful of AR's to throw rounds at paper. This will be my first precision build so I want to make sure I'm doing everything right the first time.

45_degrees_right.png

just rings, with that type of mount you should be good to go just check for burrs, the reason for lapping is to keep scopes from getting ring marks and most important is to make better scope to ring contact so it takes less tension on the screws to keep the scope from moving and less chance of crushing a tube. with new Manufactuing cnc machining you should be good to go. maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Reactions: KellenQ