• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua 139 scenar question

Usmcsomerville

USMC Vet
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 21, 2017
    Brighton, MI
    So I bought a bulk bag (700ct) of lapua 139 scenars from a fellow hide member to load for my pdog hunt in 2 weeks. While starting to load I noticed that a few looked different(end up being about 80 out of 700) The visual difference was the meplat. The odd ones were more closed than the scenars. The oal and base to ogive are slightly different. I weighed all the odd ones and they are all exactly139gr.

Did Lapua have a 139 scenar that changed design? I will update my post with photos and measurements tonight. Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. I also spoke to the seller and he got them all from a bulk buy, so he had no idea how they could be a different bullet(he made it right, as soon as he found out).

20210530_090613.jpg
    20210530_090631.jpg
    20210530_090649.jpg
    20210530_090700.jpg
    20210530_090711.jpg
    20210530_090719.jpg

So yes they are close, but I run my jump at 2 thou. So if I ran these bullets I would be on the lands. And these measurements were consistent across over 10 projectiles. I was thinking maybe these might were pointed? But I don't think that would affect ogive measurement.

They don't look like they were pointed. That usually leaves a pronounced angle about 1/16" back from the tip. The angle where the boattail meets bearing length also looks less pronounced than the majority. Could just be a different lot/machine for the 80.

Definitely not pointed. I’m leaning toward different lot. Are those small variations consistent for all 80?

Don't Scenars have a standard version and an L version...could this be what the difference is? I only have some 123 gr. so nothing to compare with.

Don't Scenars have a standard version and an L version...could this be what the difference is? I only have some 123 gr. so nothing to compare with.
    The Ls I have on my bench are 136gr. Happen to be sitting here and looked at em.

The "odd bullet" does appear to have a different profile and maybe a piece of polishing media stuck in the tip. Hard to tell.

I’ve not shot the 139 Scenars, so cannot speak to their consistency, though it would surprise me if they varied that much lot to lot. I have been shooting the 136 Scenar Ls for 8 or so years and can tell you that their consistency is excellent.

That odd bullet looks a whole lot like a 140gr SMK to me...

John
    That’s exactly what I thought. Except he said they all weigh exactly 139grains. It can be deceiving looking for different ogive profiles using pictures.

They’re definitely missing the characteristic nose ‘ring’ of both 123 and 139 Scenars. The ‘L’s’ don’t have that ring but the 120/136 do have a Lapua logo on boat tail base. I have quite a few 139’s from multiple lots and they all have that more open meplat from your pic.

Reactions: lash