• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua 155 scenars-jump, kiss, or jam?

bodywerks

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2010
Tucson,Arizona
Just like the title says, for those of you that are using them how have you seated them for the best accuracy?

Re: Lapua 155 scenars-jump, kiss, or jam?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just like the title says, for those of you that are using them how have you seated them for the best accuracy? </div></div>

Opinions vary on this bullet and jumping it. IME, they shoot well .010"-.020" off the lands.

Chris

I found the same as Chris .010 off worked for me. However I couldnot get the velocity some are and still maintain good accuracy. It seemse to me all my .308 loads are most accuriate at lower velocity.

I jump mine 0.015 away from the lands

Not sure on velocity yet, still need to confirm

I was getting 2930 FPS when they were seated at mag length but i think thats changed (dropped) since I have loaded them longer... my chrony could be off but I was getting somewhere like 2730 FPS last time i checked. Will confirm that this weekend if i get the chance

Best way and part od OCW process load up several of each in .005 progressions it will tune to barrel exit OBT, each rifle different. However all 155L I have used prefered to be jumped.

I have a long range 155 scenar load that is 0.015 from the lands, and a short range 155 scenar load that is 0.125 from the lands. Both shoot lights-out. So, at least up close and somewhat way back they shoot just fine. I never tried anything in the range from 0.040 through 0.120.

Good info. Thanks. They probably wont be ideal for the 10" twist in my savage, but I like the idea of the higher velocity, flatter trajectory, and lower recoil that they may offer.
Varget is my powder of choice. I should probably be around 46-46.5g right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good info. Thanks. They probably wont be ideal for the 10" twist in my savage, but I like the idea of the higher velocity, flatter trajectory, and lower recoil that they may offer.
Varget is my powder of choice. I should probably be around 46-46.5g right?</div></div>

My Crusader likes 47.2

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good info. Thanks. They probably wont be ideal for the 10" twist in my savage, but I like the idea of the higher velocity, flatter trajectory, and lower recoil that they may offer.
Varget is my powder of choice. I should probably be around 46-46.5g right? </div></div>

They do alright in a 1:10, but a good node for me is well above 2850+ fps.

010810155Scenars450yds.jpg

010810155Scenars300yds.jpg

Those are out of my stock Savage 10FP with ~3,000 rounds down the tube and I'm really just a hack.

Chris

Those are respectable groups as far as I'm concerned! The idea behind going with the scenars, for me, is mainly to tame recoil enough so I can remove my muzzle brake and not notice a change in recoil over my 175's that I'm launching at nearly 2750fps. Ill take anything sub-moa when it comes to 400-600yd groups. That's enough to win, or at least do very well at the local matches around here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those are respectable groups as far as I'm concerned! The idea behind going with the scenars, for me, is mainly to tame recoil enough so I can remove my muzzle brake and not notice a change in recoil over my 175's that I'm launching at nearly 2750fps. Ill take anything sub-moa when it comes to 400-600yd groups. That's enough to win, or at least do very well at the local matches around here. </div></div>

I'm an English Lit major, so I don't know if I can calculate perceived recoil for a 175gr going 2750 vs. a 155gr going 2900 fps, but I'm thinking that you'd be thumping yourself more with that 175 load, but I cold be wrong.

If you can get a 175gr going 2750, you should be able to get a 155 going 2900 with little effort.

Barrels are all different and they can all be picky. There's really no rhyme or reason to this stuff.

Personally, if you're only shooting out to 600, I wouldn't really worry too much about the Nth degree in BC and just go with the best bullet out of your barrel and call it a day.

1000yds, maybe you'd want a higher BC bullet and work around any shortcomings, but at 600, not so much so.

Chris

Bodywerks, is the recoil really that nasty?

Light weight rifle set-up?

try loading the bipod and shooting prone if you can

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just like the title says, for those of you that are using them how have you seated them for the best accuracy? </div></div>

Opinions vary on this bullet and jumping it. IME, they shoot well .010"-.020" off the lands.

Chris </div></div>

That works for me right there in three different .308's at 2950fps. Make sure to check bearing surface length from lot to lot as they will vary a bit.

@vman, the recoil right now isn't bad at all with the muzzle brake. I can shoot all day long. I had a .308 without a brake and, while recoil was manageable, the gun stopped being fun to shoot after 40 rounds or so. Its not a light rifle by any means, at about 12lbs with scope and bipod, but it will be heavier soon - the new stock will put it at about 15 pounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@vman, the recoil right now isn't bad at all with the muzzle brake. I can shoot all day long. I had a .308 without a brake and, while recoil was manageable, the gun stopped being fun to shoot after 40 rounds or so. Its not a light rifle by any means, at about 12lbs with scope and bipod, but it will be heavier soon - the new stock will put it at about 15 pounds. </div></div>

I'll go out with my brake-less Savage 10FP and practice with between 75-125 rounds and don't have an issue with recoil tiring me out, as I do with my 7 RM Sendero w/o brake.

The .308 isn't that punishing, but we're all different in this regard. Still, you'll have a sharper recoil impulse, or at least an equal-ish impulse (I'd imagine), shooting a 155 Scenar at ~2950 fps as you probably will with a 175 SMK at say ~2750 fps.

Start eating your Wheaties and get used to it. The brake will help, for sure, so there shouldn't be any excuses keeping you from getting some quality range time in.

Take care, Chris

Bodywerks just get behind the rifle and learn the proper form

It makes all the difference

Well, the last 308 rifle I had was one of the first rifles I ever owned. I have learned a lot about shooting form since then. I'm not skeert, I just see any recoil as an inconvenience, and efforts to reduce it as an advantage...
BTW, I shot some of the 155s yesterday and my gun likes them! Tighter average groups at 100 yards over the 175s. Ill chrony them tomorrow and take them out to 550 to see how they perform there.