• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua 170/185 FMJ - anyone use?

BCP

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
  • Dec 4, 2008
    AZ: Land of wind, dirt and angry old people
    I usually use the 178 amax but I can't find them anywhere. I have had feeding problems with hollow points in the past but not with the amax, so basically I'm looking for a 'solid' point match bullet in a heavier weight. Whatever I get I will need to order it the start or middle of next week - will be shooting out of an 18" gas gun, varget powder 1:10 twist. The reason I need to get them a little quicker is that I'm going to a long range shooting thing next month and want to have my loads all ready to go, so I figure a couple days of loading and 1-2 good range days.

Will be loading to mag length as well

Re: Lapua 170/185 FMJ - anyone use?

BCP,

I use a lot of of the Lapua 170g Lock Base for my 308's and had gotten started with them because of a similar situation (and I was able to get an ass-load of them at a good price on the group buy). I found that they didn't mind some jump and my powder charge was a little less than one grain of TAC over what I was using for the 178g A-max. I'm not saying this is what you should do, but when I did it, I just took my A-max powder charge and started a little less than there for my ladder testing which seemed to save some time. They have performed extremely well out to 600, which is as far as I get to shoot on a regular basis. Hope it helps some,

-Aaron

Sounds like you are looking for something with a solid tip and that will work with your 1/10 twist (ie heavy 308 bullet)? The 170gr lockbase is a good candidate. If you are shooting steel, it will likely wear more on the targets compared to the HP type. You may want to try some lighter options as well, you might be surprised how well your 1/10 stabilizes them. May be worth a try. Hornady makes 168 and 155gr Amax's. There is a 150gr LB Lapua as well.

Never tried these projectiles but have been curious to try them out.

If you try them let me know.

Anyone got any reports on group sizes out to long range with these guys?