• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua 6.5CM Decapping pin?

KitShickers

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2019
North Carolina
I hate to have to ask this but I cant find a clear answer anywhere. Can anyone tell me a decapping die and pin that will fit the flashhole of Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor? Even better if you can provide a link to exactly what I need. Also, if someone can recommend a flash hole deburring tool that fits it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Best I’ve found…

SUPER DUTY DECAPPING PINS​

Mighty Armory Super Duty Decapping Pins are warrantied for 1 year when in use on all Single Stage and Turret Presses. The odds of a bend or break are near zero. The design only allows for a .001 pin tip run out, a perfect vertical alignment.
Our Pins are CNC machined steel with rolled threads, heat treated and tempered for a perfect finish.
Available in .074 standard diameter and .057 for lean flash holes like Lapua or other European brass. Strongest decapping pins in the industry; capable of punching through Berdan cases.

Best I’ve found…

SUPER DUTY DECAPPING PINS​

Mighty Armory Super Duty Decapping Pins are warrantied for 1 year when in use on all Single Stage and Turret Presses. The odds of a bend or break are near zero. The design only allows for a .001 pin tip run out, a perfect vertical alignment.
Our Pins are CNC machined steel with rolled threads, heat treated and tempered for a perfect finish.
Available in .074 standard diameter and .057 for lean flash holes like Lapua or other European brass. Strongest decapping pins in the industry; capable of punching through Berdan cases.
Which die do you use with those?

I won't say you can't, but I definitely wouldn't bother uniforming flash holes or primer pockets on Lapua brass. Rather: I don't bother, and I only shoot Lapua. We all have our hobbies though, do what brings you joy...

Reactions: Snaz and 6.5SH
Hornady Universal Decapper - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011034431?pid=211699

RCBS Universal Depriming and Decapping Die (22 through 25 Caliber)
RCBS Heavy Duty Depriming and Decapping Die (27 through 45 Caliber)

RCBS Decapping Pins X-Small Pack of 10 (midwayusa.com)

I may be wrong but I understand the Lapua 6.5CM now has .062" flashholes.

FYI - Lapua SRP Flashhole Size Discussion
"The Lapua .059" flash hole has been gone a long time. Most likely since the switch from the gold paper to blue plastic box. Unless my pin gauges and mics are wrong the flash hole on the last 10 or so blue box lots I've bought is now somewhere around .062"."

"Ok, you made me look. My 2017 blue box of Lapua 6mmBR brass measures .059. My newest box purchased in 2019 measures .062."

Had a Redding, the pin broke and I moved on to a mighty armory and it's been great. I took the spring out of mine since it shot the primer cups out my Dillon sometimes and removing the spring minimizes that happening.

Had a Redding, the pin broke and I moved on to a mighty armory and it's been great. I took the spring out of mine since it shot the primer cups out my Dillon sometimes and removing the spring minimizes that happening.
Do you have a flash hole deburring tool that will fit?

I won't say you can't, but I definitely wouldn't bother uniforming flash holes or primer pockets on Lapua brass. Rather: I don't bother, and I only shoot Lapua. We all have our hobbies though, do what brings you joy...
Noted. Id rather skip the step if I can with little effect.

So... my experience has been a little different. Long time user of Redding Type 'S' F/L bushing dies, and when Lapua 308 Palma brass (SRP) came out, I switched over to the smaller BR sized decapping pin. 0.055" pin in a 0.059" hole, should be good, right?

Not so much. I kept *losing* the damn pin. The Redding design is just a straight pin, no shoulder, retained only by the pressure of a two-finger collet on the end of the stem. Once I had a couple firings on the brass, there was just enough crud in the flash hole that sooner or later one of the cases would 'grab' the pin and yank it out. I'd get done with a batch of brass, only to find that half of them weren't de-primed. Had to go back and find which f'ing case the pin was stuck in, tug it out with a pair of needle-nose pliers, setup and go through again. I found that a K&M BR flash hole uniformer opened the hole to 0.061", which was just enough that I never had problems.

Eventually I switched to using a Mighty Armory PUA decapping die with a shouldered pin (that could not be pulled out like that), or a Harvey hand tool with the 0.050" pin. Another way to skin the same dang cat.

get a Frankford Arsenal de-capping tool... works like a charm and you don't have to mess with changing a die

I just chucked a lee universal pin up in a drill press and hit it with some sand paper until it was small enough. Took about 5 minutes, die is $12, and they sell replacement pins.

I just chucked a lee universal pin up in a drill press and hit it with some sand paper until it was small enough. Took about 5 minutes, die is $12, and they sell replacement pins.
This was my approach too until I stopped decapping before cleaning. I still have the die though, sometimes it’s nice to be able to deprime without FL sizing. The Forster dies ship with a small decapping pin, at least the ones I use.

Reactions: Another Casual
I use the Sinclair depriming die with their small pin on Lapua SRP Creedmoor brass, works fine.

In case anyone is still looking for an option, I deprime my .060" flash hole Lapua brass with the Harvey hand deprimer with small pin.