• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua Creedmoor SRP brass & CCI400s?

BoilerUP

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2011
Floyd Co, IN
I'm used to running 450s in my Dasher and 223/556 loads, but the current component situation has those in short supply.

Anybody running 400s or similar non-magnum/BR primers in Lapooey SPR Creedmoor brass using "typical" loads?

Interested in this as well. I was wondering how CCI 41's would do too. I just started loading 6.5 CM and like you, using 450's for now

41s will be fine. Same cup material thicker cup like the 450 and br4.
I wouldn’t use the 400s, they are thin.

Crap. I was just getting ready to try this with 400s. All I have left. 😭

43EBCBD3-885D-4E59-A5C6-854929A76BF9.gif

As others have stated they will work just not at the upper end of pressure

I'm used to running 450s in my Dasher and 223/556 loads, but the current component situation has those in short supply.

Anybody running 400s or similar non-magnum/BR primers in Lapooey SPR Creedmoor brass using "typical" loads?
Yup. I run standard federal SRP's in my Lapua brass. Lights off my H4350 with single digit SD's without issue.

I do 42.3gr H4350 under a 130 Berger AR Hybrid and has zero issues at all in my Tikka T3x TacA1 6.5.

Just work up your loads as usual. If the primers start showing pressure signs then back off. They will work just fine but not at high pressures.

Reactions: clcustom1911
I've run nothing but 400's in 223 308, 6.5, and 6 GT bolt guns. I have a good supply of them. Also have a case or two of 450's that I need to test.

400's show pressure earlier that others, but I have no issue with that as I run slower than most.

FYI 3050 out of my 27.5" GT with 400's showed no pressure.

I have been running 400's in a 22 CM without issue. With bushed boltheads/turned firing pins, I don't rely on a flattened primer as a indication of pressure. I have other chambering, both SRP and LRP which flatten primers to some degree with either minimum book loads and/or a few factory rounds I have shot in the past. There have been no indications of pressure on the brass or in the bolt lift.

I have found pressure with small and large primers, e.g. - ejector swipe, stiff bolt lift, & increased case base measurement, and the primers look like those of starting loads for those loads. YMMV

I’ve used a ton of different primers with good results with all of them. From bench rest primers to the cheapest s+b primers I can find. They all shot very well, and with good numbers. If you can find any primers now, I’d say go ahead and snag em.

Yup. I run standard federal SRP's in my Lapua brass. Lights off my H4350 with single digit SD's without issue.

I do 42.3gr H4350 under a 130 Berger AR Hybrid and has zero issues at all in my Tikka T3x TacA1 6.5.

This is very close to my load With Lapua brass. Running low on CCI450, and looking at substituting BR4.
Relieved to read here that it should work well.

This is very close to my load With Lapua brass. Running low on CCI450, and looking at substituting BR4.
Relieved to read here that it should work well.
Yeah I usually do 42.8 in Prime/Hornady brass. The 42.3 in Lapua gives me the same velocity numbers. I dont do near-max loads in any of my loadings.

Reactions: OREGUN