• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Lapua For Hunting??????

STI_1911_Guy

Sergeant
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2011
Michigan
Hey everybody,
I have been having very good luck with the 139gr lapua hpbt in my dpms 260 and since they have been giving amazing accuracy i was wondering if anybody has ever tried them for hunting. I know they are a match bullet and shot placement is key but does anybody have experience with them on live game???????

Re: Lapua For Hunting??????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STI_1911_Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and since they have been giving amazing accuracy </div></div>

Right between the blinkers shouldn't be a problem then.......

Oh well yea i was planning on that out to 600yds. LOL. I was wondering if they worked past 1000yds.(where is my sarcastic button on this dam keyboard). No but really i would like some input if anybody has some.

there is a lot of info on this site about Lapua Scenars on Hunting. They do very well if you ask me. I wouldn't have a problem tell you to go for it. I've shot a few deer with them and a few coyotes, they do very well.
wink.gif

xdeano
ps. take a look through the search button and you'll find something good.

I personally feel with a custom rifle and hand loaded ammo, target bullets for hunting are fine, simply because a guy can hit where he wants to. I shot a muledeer at just over 500 yards with a berger target bullet, not recommended for hunting, right through the lungs, fubar.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dean, I like how you say, "a few coyotes"....laffin! </div></div>

smile.gif
people don't believe numbers so i'll stick with only a few. lol.

deano

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xdeano</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dean, I like how you say, "a few coyotes"....laffin! </div></div>

smile.gif

deano </div></div>

Please do share
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally feel with a custom rifle and hand loaded ammo, target bullets for hunting are fine, simply because a guy can hit where he wants to. I shot a muledeer at just over 500 yards with a berger target bullet, not recommended for hunting, right through the lungs, fubar. </div></div>

FUBAR... lmao

I have used the 155 scenar... obviously a little heavier than what you want to use but yeh i gets the job done.

I had a guy at the range the other day tell me he wouldnt use match bullets for hunting. He asked me what the AICS was for and I said I shoot animals with it. Anyway after inspecting my projectiles I guess he felt the need to share his wide knowledge on the uses of projectiles... Anyway the range officer calls it in, and I walk out with this guy to his target and he is shooting, i dunno, 12MOA at 100 yards! But apparently hunting projectiles fix that problem for him. I will stick to my 1/2MOA precision and match projectiles.

I took two whitetails with the 139 scenar in my 6.5x47 last fall. Both shots were placed right behind the shoulder at 250 yards. One was dead right there and the other ran maybe 30 yards and rolled. I will continue to use scenars and other match grade bullets for hunting despite what others say.

alandpat019.jpg

My bud with a buck he shot with my .260 and one well placed 139gr scenar...use them with confidence.

lasthunt002.jpg

155's out of a .308 work pretty good too...

alandpat007.jpg

155gr scenar from 320 meters. Same rifle as above pic...

Damn PGS those are some nice bucks!!! What did yours at the bottom score? Good to hear about the scenars, I have a Sentinel, and waiting on a 260 shorty being built that I wanted to use for hunting and wondered what loads would work. Had thought about the Amax, but if 139's that I would normally shoot out of it work, I'm a happy camper.

Dag, That buck went 187" gross. He was narrow, but had pretty good forks and a few extra cheaters.

Still a really nice buck, looks bigger from the side! Man ima have to come chase Muleys with you in Montana. Ever since my first one in Alberta I've had the itch to do it again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xdeano</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

smile.gif

deano </div></div>

Just to inform you his job is more less killing them... so that should give you a number.

I need that job....great pics.......what was the exit like from the 338LM?

It was about the size of a fifty cent piece. The shot was close(broadside rib shot)...under 50 yards. He shot a cow elk with the same load the next day through the shoulders and it left the same size hole. It was about 200 yards if I recall.

Testing out my GAP .338 Lapua on some Hogs. Its an blast to shoot them but a B*%&H to carry the rifle up the mountain.

Hunt.jpg

308JEFF, have you tried a biathlon sling brother?

They work like a charm.

I could easily walk around all day with an AI strapped to my back, a chest rig on the front (binos, beacon etc) and either a walking stick or coach gun in the hands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">308JEFF, have you tried a biathlon sling brother?

They work like a charm.

I could easily walk around all day with an AI strapped to my back, a chest rig on the front (binos, beacon etc) and either a walking stick or coach gun in the hands. </div></div>

Vman yes I have, but where am i gonna put all the meat to pack out. LOL! I gots to have my bacon!

My son shot his first bull elk using the 338LM last year at 300 yards using a 300 match. Bullet was found on far side against hide. Bad news is wasted lots of meat in front shoulders. Good news is one shot dead. Maybe with more time I will sight in for Barnes X for the close shots just because they have traditionally been better for passing through without destroying as much meat.

Here is the exit wound on that cow elk I shot with PGS...good eatin

338Sexit.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308JEFF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Testing out my GAP .338 Lapua on some Hogs. Its an blast to shoot them but a B*%&H to carry the rifle up the mountain.

Hunt.jpg
</div></div>

the problem with that, you miss in maui, someone in honolulu gets a flat tire!!! :)