• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua Test Center Questions............

Shayne Ward

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 18, 2021
Ft. Worth
Who has tested their rifles at one of these centers? I have a Vudoo 360 that I have been shooting Eley Match out of with great success, but the lot I have been shooting is about gone and I cant find any anywhere. I have planned all along to send the gun off to be tested for Center X. My main concern is whether to test it in its chassis (XLR) or just have them bolt it into their fixture. Seems to me that having them shoot the rifle in its chassis at my torque settings would be best? Whats everyones thoughts on this?

If your rifle likes Eley, then send the rifle to Killough's for Eley testing.

For Lapua, I always just sent the barreled action... maybe that was just me being cheap and saving on shipping :) They have tested torque settings there, and they torque down the action to their fixture at 62 in/lbs as what they found was the best results for Vudoo.

I traveled with mine to the Ohio facility in the cold of January this year. Tested CX and M+ with Vudoo G2, McMillan A6 stock, & Krieger 24" SS barrel by Apache Machine in Wilkesboro NC. Luke (as I) seemed to think leaving it in the stock made more sense, and he was able to strap it down nicely into the rest.

Results once I got the purchased ammo back home to NC:

Average of 6 x 5 shot groups @50 yards outside off a bench. Center-X best tested lot. Bought a case.
0.3845 - Mid Feb 2022
0.4303 (Carbon ring buildup - cleaned following this round.)
0.2995 - Early March 2022 Calm wind

Nothing really spectacular - and with one day's exception nothing really bad. Only 4 groups total > .5" - (.586 .633 .530 .503) where 2 were that "Carbon ring" day.

Interestingly, the Midas+ which I also purchased because it outshot the CX @ 50m and substantially better @ 100m in the test tunnel fails to deliver back home in the cold. Maybe as it warms up it will be better. But on the same day with same conditions, the M+ avg is .4335 vs .2995 for CX. And it's not just an occasional flyer, the groups are just a bit open. No explanation for that. (Anybody?)

I am pleased with the results, but think there is room to improve. Will likely go up there again, the experience was nice.

Who has tested their rifles at one of these centers? I have a Vudoo 360 that I have been shooting Eley Match out of with great success, but the lot I have been shooting is about gone and I cant find any anywhere. I have planned all along to send the gun off to be tested for Center X. My main concern is whether to test it in its chassis (XLR) or just have them bolt it into their fixture. Seems to me that having them shoot the rifle in its chassis at my torque settings would be best? Whats everyones thoughts on this?
I agree with Littlepod sending just the BA for a vudoo action for testing, vudoos seem to have good test results in their jigs. I just sent my Rimx BA for testing which the results didn’t turn out well. I also found an uneasy amount of lead shavings on the breach face when I got it back. Makes me wish I sent the whole rifle with my mags that are at the proper height to feed flawlessly. For reference I only find wax build up on my breach face. Hope this helps ya

I just got mine back last week from Lapua. It tested best with Midas plus so I bought a case of that. I have purchased several lots of center x and some eley match to try in it also. Just waiting on the Eley to arrive to test. I think it will be fine in the test fixture personally.

I’ve been to Marengo twice and sent off to Mesa once. I have a July appointment in Marengo this year. IME experience my rifles shoot the chosen Ammo better out in the elements. I have both had my rifles tested in their stocks and just the action. I couldn’t really tell a difference. You’re not testing your rifle’s performance, but lot against lot.

I believe a good lot will shoot good in a lot of guns, not all guns though, I’ve experienced this. However there a small preference difference from rifle to rifle. I have tested two rifles on the same day and they preferred different lots. Also the best performing lot at 50M is usually not the lot that performed best at 100M.

After getting the best lot out of 10 and seeing the big difference between best and worst it makes you never want to buy blind again.

The first time I went I forgot the rear action lug for my CZ 452 American so it wouldn’t attach to the jig. We had to shoot it in the stock without the rear action screw screwed into anything. It was still uniform from lot to lot. Being my first time the results didn’t impress me at all. This is what happened when I got home. The tunnel is not a magic talisman where your rifle will shoot better than ever.
3AA43046-C912-4210-B257-6A27DE28DA3E.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 9rcrazy
I did a test last august, I did the barreled action in the jig and found that the ammo I purchased shoots about identical in real life as it did in the test. I’m going back in a few weeks and plan to test the same way again.