• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua Test Center RimX Chassis Question

Swaim13

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 12, 2018
Peoples Republic of Maryland
Has anyone sent their RimX to the lapua test center and had it tested in their chassis instead of the fixed block. I had previously sent my rifle in with a different barrel and recieved results that averaged around 1.1 to 1.2 moa for the lots tested. When I got the rifle home, I bought a random lot of center x (not one from the lapua test center) and it shot 0.7 moa over two 6x5 tests. The tech also told me that with a few exceptions, the RimX rifles didnt really get great test data. I have a new barrel with a 1.5 degree feed and its not liking my current lot of center x, but liked a different lot I had at home.

What I am wondering is could the results from lapua be off due to a magazine height issue for the lapua test block? Has anyone had their action tested in their chassis with their own magazines and if so, what were your results?

I would send it with your chassis. They don't know how to adjust the magazines right to get it to feed well in their setup. My friend who sent his RimX there, when he got it back he could see a good amount of lead shavings on the chamber face

I would send it with your chassis. They don't know how to adjust the magazines right to get it to feed well in their setup. My friend who sent his RimX there, when he got it back he could see a good amount of lead shavings on the chamber face
That’s unfortunate, you think they would have a magazine already set up that works with the fixture.

I'm not even sure it's always the magazine and feeding. My Vudoo was tested and I brought a box of Center X from home to try and they shot it in the tunnel in the block and it didn't do very good at all. The next day when we got back to my buddy's house I shot it and I shot it better than the block. Might be the way it shoots from the block can be different than from the stock/chassis and with a shooter. Who knows.

Reactions: Williwaw
I'm not even sure it's always the magazine and feeding. My Vudoo was tested and I brought a box of Center X from home to try and they shot it in the tunnel in the block and it didn't do very good at all. The next day when we got back to my buddy's house I shot it and I shot it better than the block. Might be the way it shoots from the block can be different than from the stock/chassis and with a shooter. Who knows.
No might be about it. It is different! There's no way testing a barreled action locked down in a vise will give the same results as testing a gun set up as you would normally shoot it. I don't know why shooters continue to do this? I guess it's better than buying random lots, but I'm not even sure about that!, Anschutz North America will lot test your gun. They shoot off a bench with a Seb neo 2 piece rest setup. When they tell you it's a good lot for your gun you can take it to the bank! They only test RWS R50.

Reactions: Turbo2
No might be about it. It is different! There's no way testing a barreled action locked down in a vise will give the same results as testing a gun set up as you would normally shoot it. I don't know why shooters continue to do this? I guess it's better than buying random lots, but I'm not even sure about that!, Anschutz North America will lot test your gun. They shoot off a bench with a Seb neo 2 piece rest setup. When they tell you it's a good lot for your gun you can take it to the bank! They only test RWS R50.

Will ANA test any rifle or just Anschutz? I wouldn't mind trying out R50...

Perhaps the biggest reason shooters keep taking/sending rifles to the Lapua Test Centers is that it was widely posted that the only way they were going to sell Lapua ammo was through test centers. From the small amount of Lapua 22RF match ammo I've seen advertised for sale occasionally, there must be some of it leaking out through other outlets from time-to-time. But given how many lots of Center-X I tested back in late 2016/early 2017 before finding a lot I considered good enough to buy in quantity, I'm not quite ready to buy blind.

Perhaps the biggest reason shooters keep taking/sending rifles to the Lapua Test Centers is that it was widely posted that the only way they were going to sell Lapua ammo was through test centers. From the small amount of Lapua 22RF match ammo I've seen advertised for sale occasionally, there must be some of it leaking out through other outlets from time-to-time. But given how many lots of Center-X I tested back in late 2016/early 2017 before finding a lot I considered good enough to buy in quantity, I'm not quite ready to buy blind.

Yeh I just bought a case of Eley Match blind... I hope it works out okay.

I was pulling up my results of Midas+ from the test center and how bad some lots would go.. 19mm edge to edge at 50m, down to 11.5mm edge to edge. Now I'm like crap, I probably should've just sent my rifle to Killoughs for Eley testing.

Jumped in late guess I should read all the previous post lol

I thought about sending or taking one of my 52Ds down to Killough for lot testing, but then learned that they won't test black box Match, just Tenex. I've seen pretty impressive results in both these CMP 52Ds with test lots of Match; if I were planning to shoot on other than local level smallbore prone matches, perhaps I'd test with Tenex. But to be honest with myself, at my age, it's questionable whether I shoot good enough to justify spending that much more than Match. The way it looks at this point, one good lot of Match for the 52s is all I need, and a good lot of Center-X for the V22S will probably suffice. I may be kidding myself about one lot working in both V22S rifles, since I used a Benchmark 3-groove on the F-class/BR rifle, and a Shilen ratchet on the new prone rifle. Even though both were chambered with a Nevius reamer, and the fact that Kevin has said his chamber might not be as forgiving with Eley as it is with Lapua, I'll still probably wind up trying some Eley Match in the Benchmark. Maybe it's a good thing I don't have access to a good indoor 50/100yd range - otherwise, I'd probably spend a lot of money on lot samples of Eley, when I've already seen that the 52Ds aren't very picky with what I've tried in them so far.

OTOH, if I decide to try an ARA BR match with the F-Class Vudoo, only time will tell if even a very good lot of Center-X will be consistent enough to be competitive...