• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Large & Small Frame AR's

RTH1800

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Midwest
    I have noticed a trend for years here. My Large frame AR is failing to ......

I would guess that there are 10 small frame AR's for every large frame one. Could be far off either way. I am sure there are many more small frame guns. Yet there are many more issues with large frame guns. Mostly of the home built ones it appears.

I had a few KAC .308 rifles and zero issues other than more weight than I want or need. I am not against them.
    Yet each time I see someone wanting to build one I cringe. Apparently they are far more difficult to set up for the amateur guys.

Just looking for thoughts from knowledgable folks.

I did the large frame thing for years. I got tired of the size and added weight. Playing with 6 ARC now.

There’s no spec for large frame stuff is the issue and their systems can require more tuning and absolutely more knowledge the get a reliable one.

IMO buying a premium factory rifle is the way to go for a large frame if you want something that works. SP10 is the way to go for quality and reliability at a decent value. KAC stuff has just gotten dumb expensive and costs more than they’re really worth, but they are good rifles.

Threehome brew large frame AR’s not a problem yet. Guess lucky or I listened to some knowledgeable folks.
    Yeah, I don’t want to be smug about it, but taking your time to do the research and learn what needs to be learned before you whip out your favorite cc is the way to build success.

I think guys get too cute about it and want to build a gun with a very slim operational window and then end up blowing time and money on parts to try and fix a problem that they created.

Failure to plan is planning to fail and all that jazz.

Build a rifle length gas gun. Use a rifle buffer or intermediate at a bare minimum. Give the gun a large enough operating window so it’s got a chance to work with most or all of the conditions it needs to operate in.

Trying to build an ar10 with a tight window is like trying to win a mountain bike race on a bmx bike. There may be a tiny few instances where everything aligns perfectly and the bmx bike gets you a win. But you’re making it way more difficult and complicated than it needs to be.