• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Large Frame vs Small Frame Shooting Technique

simonp

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 29, 2020
Having seen some comments, or similiar comments really, on several different threads about shooting a large frame AR it occurred to me to ask the question, what differences in techniques are you employing when you go from a small frame to a large frame?

I will be honest, I shoot small frame primarily but I have a couple large frames that from time to time I take out for load development & havent really moved much beyond there as to be honest I just havent found the large to be as much of a pleasure to shoot, havent gotten either shooting as well as the small & so they tend to sit in the back of the safe in frustration. However if its a matter of adjusting a couple of things in how I shoot when I switch frame size it would be nice to know and perhaps get the joy out of the guns I was hoping for.

TIA

I think fundamentally they are the same approach, but that the large frame takes more effort, longer follow through/focus, and a firmer hand.

Reactions: MSTN
I think it also depends on what cartridge you’re shooting in either frame size.

I’ve been shooting the AR-15/M16/M4 very regularly since 1987. For heavier 5.56 and even 6mm ARs, I feel like I can shoot more relaxed, although I still employ "gas gun fundamentals". Same with lighter weight bullets in Grendel.

Once I start shooting a little heavier weight bullets from lightweight ARs, or the large frame in .308, .260 Rem, 6.5CM, I really have to apply more rearward pressure and a great cheek-to-stock weld to prevent the blaster from disturbing my position, so I don’t have to re-build position as much between each shot.

This is still true with a rear bag. I take my time building my rear bag position and trouble-shoot it make sure it doesn’t fall apart or cave-in when the first shot breaks.

Ideally, the rifle or carbine will not move at all and the reticle will just stay on-target.

With .223, 6mm, and 85-95gr 6.5 Grendel, it almost stays perfectly-on with very minimal recovery of the position needed.

With 6.5CM, .260 Rem, and .308 in the AR-10, the initial recoil and reciprocating mass movement really like to break your position apart if you let them.

After shooting a lot of .308 and .260 gas guns, it feels like cheating when I get on a bolt gun. You can’t free-recoil the large frames and expect good groups or tighter cone of error downrange. At least I can’t. I have good upper body mass and am taller in stature, so I’m relatively recoil-insensitive.

One of the better things you can do if you’re having trouble with this is get with a coach who has decades of formal or competitive shooting experience in this space, who can observe you and provide feedback to quickly lift you over a lot of lessons-learned. I see a lot of shooters who have bad position, bad sight alignment, bad eye relief, bad breathing control, bad trigger control, reactive finger-jerk follow-through, with immediate lifting of the head position to try to see what happened downrange instead of staying steady in the optic and applying follow-through.

A lot of younger guys just throw the rear bag down and expect miracles to happen as well. Modern triggers and inherently-accurate rifles can camouflage bad fundamentals and still give you relatively-good results on-target just because of how good the rifle might be. Proper fundamentals will shrink all of that down and make you a better shooter.