• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Largest objective scope for 308 AR

R.O.U.S.

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2011
WA
I’m a new shooter looking for a scope to put on my rifle, and was wondering what is the largest objective you can reasonably put on a monolithic 308 AR? I would prefer to keep using a carbine stock if possible.

Things I am looking for in a scope.

I currently shoot at 100 yards with irons, but as I get better I want to shoot at longer distances.

Local weather is constantly overcast, and I want an optic that transmits the most light.

Illuminated Mil reticle and matching turrets

I have terrible luck, so a good warranty is a must.

I might sell my rifle in the future, but I want an excellent scope that will last and work with a multitude of rifles.

I am looking at scopes made by S&B and Premier. My budget is flexible.

I want to be more informed before making a decision. Is there more information I should provide?

Another hide member suggested this scope mount if I wanted to go with a large objective scope.

DTA SRS Scope Mount 20 MOA

Re: Largest objective scope for 308 AR

If you are looking at a Premier look no further. Awesome scopes that are built like tanks and will not disappoint. The CS is also top notch. S&B and Hensoldt also offer wonderful products but I simply can't say enough good things about Premier.

You shouldn't have a problem with a 50mm and high/extra high rings or using a 1pc mount like an ADM.

As far as what scope to get before you spend that kind of money make sure that you have a firm grasp of all the features you want.

edit: if you want us to throw our dream scopes out there I'd love to have a S&B 3-12 or 4-16 with single turn elev turrets on my AR 308. After that probably a Premier Light Tactical. Once the IOR 1-10 comes out I'll probably be drooling over that...

Has anyone mounted a 56mm objective to a monolithic rail system? Would the ADM mount hold it fine?

I ask because I really like the new Tan Schmidt and Bender PMII 5-25 with locking turrets. I want to make sure it is feasible before throwing down serious money. Washington is frequently overcast, and from threads I read, a larger objective helps with light.

The Premier 5-25 also looks like an excellent scope that has a lot of fanfare.

If it doesn't work out, there are a lot of good options.

I haven't considered Hensoldt scopes. I understand that Hensoldts are excellent scopes, however I don't understand how their service works. I believe they are imported by Hudisco, so if a scope needs fixing where would it go? Can Hensoldts be serviced by Zeiss?

USOptics scopes have an excellent reputation. However, I believe they have quite a long build time. There seems to be a selection of S&B and Premier scopes available throughout the net.

I'm not too worried about weight of the scope, I intend this to be a range gun.

6pz520.jpg

56mm objective on my AR10. It sits in a Near Alphamount which is on a badger 22 MOA riser.

It's a perfect height for my AR10. Usually most AR's need rings between 1.3" high to 1.5" high (from center of ring to top of rail) to be comfortable. Any of those heights will clear a 56mm bell with at least .20" or so of clearance.

The ADM would work nicely.

Nice rifle man! Thank you for the suggestion.

I definitely want to go with a 5-25 power scope from either Schmidt and Bender or Premier. I'm not sure how to compare the features of both scopes.

I was looking up threads about opinions of MTC turets, and I came across one thread where Lowlight mentioned that the S&B 5-25 requires an aggressive cant to utilize the maximum elevation. I wonder if that goes for the Premier as well.

I was looking for examples of large scopes on flat top rifles, and found these examples. I definitely think this will work.

56mm objective on DTA SRS

56mm Premier on DTA SRS

My biggest worry now are the MTC turrets. People seem quite divided on them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R.O.U.S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I definitely want to go with a 5-25 power scope from either Schmidt and Bender or Premier. I'm not sure how to compare the features of both scopes.

I was looking up threads about opinions of MTC turets, and I came across one thread where Lowlight mentioned that the S&B 5-25 requires an aggressive cant to utilize the maximum elevation. I wonder if that goes for the Premier as well.

</div></div>

Either is a fine scope. As my previous post reflects I'm a Premier guy but either is a fine choice. When comparing the two scopes it pretty much boils down to reticle choice and turret design.

When speaking of canted bases it doesn't really matter unless you are getting into the ELR game (which 308 is far from ideal for). Either scope has more then enough internal travel to get you to 1200 yards without a canted base. But to take full advantage of the available travel a you need a base canted somewhere in the 40-60 moa range.

IMO, MTC feature is good if you plan on dialing in complete darkness.
wink.gif

For me, when I dial come ups I'm still on the rifle well enough to maintain perfect sight picture and just look up at the elevation turret, dial up, then fire. I feel for me and the way I use my scope I have no real use for the MTC feature.

That being said of course if you do decide on the Premier it already has the MTC feature so thats that... But it shouldnt be a deciding factor alone. Like it was said above, reticle choice is ultimately what it'll come down to (ex: gen2 XR, or P4).

I'm used to the P4 style mil reticles. SnB's P4, ior's MP8, hensoldts NH1, nightforce new MLR2, GAP mil reticle, etc.

What I also like is the Premiers "integrated" parallax/illum knob. But again that alone shouldnt be a deal breaker.

I have done some thinking, and I'm leaning toward Premier Reticle scopes. I like the zero system, warranty, and integrated parallax/illumination.

I have to ask, am I going too far with a 5-25 scope? The difference between the 3-15 tactical and 5-25 tactical is 1 ounce, and approximately 2 3/4 inches in length. The price difference isn't too extreme either.

It really depends on the type of shooting you want to do. For the most part the 3.5-15 will have you covered.

If you think you might need more power than 15x then just get the 5-25. I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
wink.gif

You don't need an aggressive cant in the base to use the S&B 5-25x56. Even with a 20 MOA you will get alot of elevation. A 45 MOA base will give you all the elevation the scope has to offer but I run my bolt guns with 20 MOA bases and never had a problem.

I really like the 5-25x range. Gives me all the power I need for shooting or spotting. Also I can dial my S&B down to 10 yards on the parallax adjustment so makes shooting close at comps that require it very easy.

I run one an S&B 5-25x56 on my 20" POF flat top with 1" height rings and a Badger 22 MOA base.
P3290525.jpg

That's a nice setup. Is that an ARD on the end? What are the advantages of using one?

I just purchased a 16" stainless steel barrel for my rifle. Should that affect my decision at all?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R.O.U.S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I just purchased a 16" stainless steel barrel for my rifle. Should that affect my decision at all? </div></div>

My IOR 3-18 with sunshade and mount is 2.25lbs and probably 15" long and it looks just fine to me on my carbine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R.O.U.S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a nice setup. Is that an ARD on the end? What are the advantages of using one?

I just purchased a 16" stainless steel barrel for my rifle. Should that affect my decision at all? </div></div>

Thanks. No that's just a 2.5" sunshade and butler creek cover. I don't see a need for an ARD as no one is shooting back at me LOL

Just make sure whatever scope you get doesn't hang over the muzzle
wink.gif

Thanks everyone for your help. I just purchased the new tan 5-25 Schmidt and Bender. I hope it gets here quick.