• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

LaRue 556 OBR or HK SL8-6

Deersunlimited

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2011
USA
Well Im having trouble deciding between the Larue 556 OBR (18" or 20") and a HK SL8-6 (20") I was originally getting the Larue, but then the HK popped into my head. This rifle will be used as a long range varminter/fun in the field so weight is no issue. From what Iv researched the SL8 shoots sub moa (one report of sub moa at 200) and of coarse the OBR does. The OBR has more parts available, is easily customizable, and just adds a new upper/lower. The reason Im considering the SL8 is because its piston driven which should keep it running cleaner. But since its no duty/combat weapon thats no Huge deal.. So I guess my main thing is the accuracy of these two, anyone have both? or have some groupings from both? thanks

Re: LaRue 556 OBR or HK SL8-6

Assuming you have the OBR on order already. The OBR is the more accurate of the two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deersunlimited</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for the push, will be ordering the 18" OBR tomorrow </div></div>

You better start praying dude. The OBR line is long and thick....if bullshit laws do get passed your screwed if you just putting in the order now.

I have a 7.62 OBR so it's a different rifle...but I have shot almost 1/3 MOA at 100, 1/2 MOA at 200 and 2/3 MOA at 300. All with factory ammo (FGMM). While that might suggest it opens up as yardage increases I did zero, I repeat zero, holdover for wind. I got a new scope with a Horus reticle and I was working on elevation only; figuring out my holds. Wind gusts were in excess of 10 MPH, and I was just trying to time the gusts. I was quite pleased needless to say. That was my first time going out to 200 & 300 with that scope. Damn fine rifle to shot that well ignoring wind, the US Optics scope wasn't bad either
laugh.gif

Unfortunely, with the holidays I haven't been back out since. You won't regret going with the OBR.

Sorry that I have NO experience with the HK but I do have a 18" OBR 556. I shot MOA and under on bullseye targets out to 400 and 12" steel at 500 in November at Tactical Response (Hornady TAP) and just stretched it out and hit center on paper FBI Q targets at 787 during a December Marksman/Observer course (77 gr FGMM).

Curious about other OBR wait times on orders. I always read about extended waits. Are any of these long waits after paying up front? I paid over the phone when I placed my order last spring and was holding the rifle 21 days later. Just curious..

If it is at all possible get the OBR. I doubt seriously you will be dissappointed in any way. Not sure I get some of the comments regarding minute of angle groups above...MOA is just that, an angle so, MOA @100 yards is a one inch group. At two hundred yards it's a 2 inch group at 300 a 3 inch, etc. If you shoot a 1/2 inch group at 200 yards that is a 1/2 MOA group.

If it is at all possible get the OBR. I doubt seriously you will be dissappointed in any way. Not sure I get some of the comments regarding minute of angle groups above...MOA is just that, an angle so, MOA @100 yards is a one inch group. At two hundred yards it's a 2 inch group at 300 a 3 inch, etc. If you shoot a 1 inch group at 200 yards that is a 1/2 MOA group.

Between those two, I wouldn't even give the SL8 any consideration.

I ordered the OBR a few days ago. I asked about a wait time and I got this "At this time we have NO ETA on any rifle platforms....we have been informed sometime in 2013, depending on political climate of course." haha I dont mind waiting. But all the "assault" bs isn't very comforting. Guess I have no choice but to wait and see.

The only reason to ever purchase an SL8-6 is if you plan on cutting it and converting it.

Converted HK G36 german military battle rifle. Like all beauties, she doesn't come cheap.

photo_zps038fc924.jpg

SL8 in the same sentence with LaRue OBR....maybe the Mayans were right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SL8 in the same sentence with LaRue OBR....maybe the Mayans were right. </div></div>

LOL.

That's what I thought.

You'd have to be smoking crack to seriously consider an SL8/G36 clone as an alternative to a LaRue.

On the other hand, you have about zero chance of getting a LaRue any time soon at any price that doesn't require multiple bottles of KY. LaRue stopped accepting dealer orders yesterday, as a matter of fact. Good luck with that one...

I would most likely choose the OBR because parts and accessories are readily available. Repairs will be easy and if your barrel wears out you have a lot of manufacturers to choose from and you can most likely change it yourself. HKs need a lot more equipment and labor to do all the changes and you still have to configure it according to the law (having mostly US parts). I would do the SL8 if I am doing a G36 SBR clone but not for a precision or DMR rifle