• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Larue OBR 7.62 vs JP LRP-07

jsmythe

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
Nashville, TN, USA
I am looking to purchase a good AR-10. I have narrowed down my choices to the Larue OBR 7.62 with a 16" barrel and the JP Enterprises LRP-07 with a 16" barrel.
I have heard nothing but good things about both of these rifles and the companies. I have heard that both rifles are capable of sub moa precision.
Prices are close enough to not be an issue. The only difference I have heard of is that the JP rifle is a great deal lighter.
Does anyone have any first hand knowledge that could help me in my choice?
Not looking for suggestions in other companies, so lets stick to talking about these two.

I would go JP if you want to get it anytime soon. A friend has .223 and 6.5 Grendal version of Jp, and both shoot great. I have also shot the OBR and its nice, easily sub moa with FGMM. But plan on waiting a long time.

Lots has been written about these two choices here. Try the custom Google search and you will learn much (including that some here go apoplectic when they think about Mark Larue). I own an 18" OBR, and love it. Plenty accurate, and dead nuts reliable. Depending on your patience, you may find that availability will be your deciding factor. Finding a new OBR can be like finding a unicorn turd these days. Cruising the PX regularly may land you a gently used one though.

Larue had a thread today which announced that some people ordered last week and were called to pay for the rifle ready to be shipped the next day! So things have changed and the backlog appears to be coming down.

I own a JP LRP-07 and have shot the Larue OBR 7.62, both rifles are very accurate and very reliable. Right now the wait on an OBR is a year or more, you can get a LRP-07 in less than 20 weeks also the one big difference is Customer Service. I have heard from to many people that Larue Tactical is a bitch to deal with when you have issues, on the other hand JP Enterprise has bent over backwards to make sure that I was happy even after I already recieved my rifle. Also as a final note JP Rifles are lighter and have less recoil than a OBR, their LMOS operating system works in keeping recoil to a minimal. To finalize your question both rifles are excellent and I would be happy with either but in my opinion and many others JP is the cream of the crop and the only manufacture that I will ever buy a rifle from in the future. JP Enterprise has me for a customer for life good luck.

I own both. My OBR was bought when they first came out and has an LW barrel so I can't comment on the OBRs with the new Larue barrel. The JP is new and is much lighter than my OBR and just as accurate and reliable. Both are sub-MOA guns. I much prefer the JP for use hunting due to weight. Both are sub-MOA. I prefer the JP overall. Get the JP and don't look back. JP's customer service folks are much more knowledgeable and helpful IMO.

Buy a GAP-10! It's most likely more accurate than either of those, and fully customizable. :D

Sorry, kind of a troll comment since you said you weren't interested, but I honestly think you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't seriously consider a GAP-10 in that decision. Good luck!

I have a friend who owns both Gap-10 and JP LRP-07 and either one could beat the other on any given day, but I know for sure the GAP-10 weighs more and has more recoil as I have shot and held both of them. But the GAP-10 is a damn fine rifle.

Splitting hairs really..

That said get a GAP-10!!! :)

If you do go Larue, you might want to consider the TOBR since it doesn't have the 20 MOA rail, just something to consider. Some like that feature and some don't. I've been shooting the TOBR for a while now and the Larue barrel is working out well. The whole setup is also a bit lighter than the OBR, and I love the AR Gold trigger it comes with.

Both!

Seriously your talking about the top two manufacturers IMO. I have a LRP, SCR, and. Predatar. I think each one is epically awesome and the pinacle of the ar platform.

ETA: I have had nothing but caring, helpful, and spot on service with both companies.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, was there a reason you're not considering a GAP-10? At the end of the day, all three are gonna be stellar

I've owned a GAP-10, Noveske N6 and now a JP LRP-07H with some additions (stock, heatsink, etc.). I've also handled a shot an OBR 7.62. All of the rifles mentioned are the top of the line and made with the best quality stuff. All will shoot accurately and perform well. That being said, the reason the JP came out on top for me was the size and weight. All the others were huge and weighed a ton. The JP handles more like an AR15 than an AR10 with no loss of accuracy. Plus JP is a pleasure to deal with (so is GAP for that matter). I also much prefer the side charge design.

If I was in the market for another AR right now it would without a doubt be another JP. They're really in a class by themselves. Plus an OBR probably won't be in your hands until sometime next year unless you find one used.

I've had really good luck with the obr's, very solid well built and they shoot great.

I live not too far from JP here in Minnesota. They are enthusiasts and perfectionists and nice people too. Call and talk to them then decide.

OneCleanShot hit it right on the nose about John Paul, if you have never seen or listened to this man talk about guns then you need to. John is a huge Perfectionist with his rifles and this man KNOWS his guns and how to BUILD them, these rifles are a thing of beauty.

Having shot several matches with John Paul, I can honestly say this guy makes products for shooters and supports the shooting industry in a big way. That being said, GAP does that it as well if not better than anyone else. I would not hesitate to buy either one of their products. I chose the JP because of the features and the weight of the rifle. I have shot the Larue and it is a nice rifle, but not in the same class as the JP or GAP if you are looking for a precision semi auto. The level of service from JP and GAP are also second to none. But as always, this is like asking Ford, Chevy, or Dodge... For the record its Ford :D

Bill