• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LaRue OBR Face Lift

Sierra

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2009
Texas
www.xmtgllc.com
I recently bought a LaRue OBR here on the Hide from srt. Transaction was great and the weapon was as described. Once I got the rifle it needed a paint job before I put it into service. I decided on using Duracoat. I havde painted rifles before with other products but this is my first Duracoat paint job. I wanted a desert style camo job and after looking at all of the templates out there I decided to do it without templates. I read an article by Pat Rodgers on painting rifles. He used camo netting for his patterns so I decided I would give that a try. Below are the photos from start to finish.
This is how it looked before I started.

gun%20before%20paint.jpg

I ordered three colors of Duracoat. I got the self contained kit with compressed air sprayers. I bought some extra sprayers from the auto parts store due to them being less expensive. I also got some brake parts cleaner to use in cleaning the weapon in addition to the cleaner that came in the kit.

duracoat.jpg

extra%20sprayers.jpg

brake%20cleaner.jpg

After the gun and magazines were clean it was time to rough them up with the provided pad.

gun%20after%20prep.jpg

mags%20after%20prep.jpg

After the prep work, it was time for the base coat.

base%20coat.jpg

gun%20and%20mags%20base.jpg

I waited about 20 minutes and then applied the second coat.

second%20coat.jpg

mags%20second%20coat.jpg

After another 20 minute wait, I applied the final coat.

[img:center]http://www.xmtgllc.com/images/obr/third%20coat.jpg[/img]

[img:center]http://www.xmtgllc.com/images/obr/muzzle%20finish.jpg[/img]

I have a Leupold Mark 8 on order and it will be here in November. Once I get the entire gun finished I will post photos of the finished product. Since my optic has a 35 mm tube, I need to sell my 34 mm OBR mount.

Re: LaRue OBR Face Lift

That rifle looks much better now! Now to see how she shoots.

Did the paint affect the gas selector switch at all? Looks like it might gum it up a bit.

Painting a $3500 rifle takes some balls. I'm thinking of doing my 7.62 OBR flat dark earth, the same as the Costa edition. Anyone ever use any KG GunKote?

Never used that product but I painted my LMT MRP 5.56 with Alumihide in Magpul FDE. Turned out really good. I stripped the entire gun on that deal so all of the levers and pins are still black. This OBR 7.62 will be my work gun so I painted pins, levers, everything. Once you start painting you wont look back.

No on the gas selector. It still works just fine. Once you get over the thought of the cost of the weapon its easy. I started painting on a city weapon system so I got to do my first paint job on a gun that wasnt mine. Once you shoot that first blast of paint there is no turning back. If you can run krylon cans you can paint guns.

Yeah it came out very nice. I cannot bring myself to paint my new POF 308.

I don't paint the part of the magazine that goes into the magwell. Do you have problems with inserting the mags that have been sprayed?

I painted the entire LaRue mags and have no problems inserting them or with them dropping free. The Magpul mags fit tigher and some do not drop free so I only painted the part that sticks out of the mag well. I used painters tape to tape them off.

I have received all my other accessories but my optics. Once I get my optic, I will get it and the other accessories painted and get her all put together. I should get my optic from Leupold in November.

Looks really good, no way I could scuff up my gun to prepare for the paint, I am pretty sure I would faint after the first scratch!!!!

Looks good man. I did it to a Howa, but that was a $500 barreled action. I might have had a harder time with a rifle that cost. I sure don't plan on doing it to my PredatAR, lol.

I never seen painting done like that. Pretty good DIY project. I think it would look pretty nice with another accent of color. But that still has a very good look to it.

I just got told by Leupold that the Mark 8's will not ship until January. That just sucks! I have everything else, just waiting on the optic.

I might look at adding another color after I get my Mark 8. For now I will just have to pull another optic to get me through a school in December.

Looks sweet! I dont think I have the balls to try that on my OBR

Then hit it with Krylon to see if you like it. Brake cleaner will strip it right off - Just cover any lenses of optics mounted on it.

Is that the air-cure duracoat? I've been contemplating painting my coyote blaster myself to save some money, but since my buddy is a gun smith and does a damn good job, it may not be worth doing myself. He wants $460 to bed the action, inlet for CDI DBM, and duracoat the whole damn thing in whatever camo pattern I want. Sorry for the bolt gun talk in the semi forum :rolleyes:

What will it look like after a couple take-downs with every thing painted over.

Here is a photo with my OBR topped off with a Mark 8 and a Delta Point. I have been running the gun pretty hard at work for over a year and it still looks great. I have not had time to paint the optic.

Attachments

• gun with optic.jpg
    gun with optic.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 15
That is a really good paint job. Have you thought about using natural vegitation instead of netting? Ive seen guns dissapear just laying in grass or bushes that were the same as used in the pain job.

After seeing your post last year I decided to Duracoat my OBR. I painted it Magpul FDE with black speckling overspray to give it a sand look.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1392081311.490066.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1392081311.490066.jpg
    858 KB · Views: 12
I use natural veg on my krylon paint jobs. I didn't want to use that on this paint job with Duracoat. Natural veg does have a unique look and it works!