• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Larue OBR in 6.5CM?

hkfan45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2013
Is there any news on Larue coming out with a 6.5CM option for the OBR/tOBR?

I'm debating waiting for this, or going with the GAP10 which is available now in 6.5CM. The only thing keeping me from going with the GAP10, might not make rational/logical sense, but does cause me "concern." With Larue, I feel I am getting a truly custom rifle built with parts designed and built in house. With GAP, I am essentially paying for gunsmithing services on an off the shelf POF upper/lower with a nice barrel. When you factor in the fact that the GAP10 charges for threading the barrel and an adjustable gas block (both of which Larue includes in the price), the difference in price is negligible.

Am I way off on this?

They will probably shoot the about the same. But after having both, I would say its a toss up. Go with with whichever you like. Larue is backed up bad. It will be years before they will do a 6.5. Get the GAP

Reactions: Warrior 45
Would you say the quality is better with the LT over the POF parts?

What...

you mean the same Larue who backed up over a year on rifles while trying to figure out how to make 308 barrels. that's a good one.

even if they did, its still going to be a button rifled barrel, thats like going out and ordering a brand new mustang and paying extra for the V6 engine.

I dont think they are ever going to make that.. in 6.5 Mark said sometime ago he was not going to make rifles in anything other than Military calibers a while ago when asked about a 300BLK

I really want a 6.5 CM barrel for one of my two Larue P'tOBRs. Both came with the so-called "Field Grade" .308 barrels. The 18" barrel is just fine as is, lucky for me, and will outshoot any similar barrel in a .308 gas gun I've ever had, producing multiple one-hole groups. But, unfortunately, the 16" Field Grade barrel won't shoot better than 3/4 MOA.

So ….

The 16" Field Grade barrel has had the barrel extension cannibalized. A new Krieger 24" 6.5 CM barrel has been turned out, with a 14" length gas system, employing a Syrac adjustable gas block. We're now waiting for the barrel to be nitride treated.

Then, we'll see if this was a good idea or not.

Wes that is fantastic!
I can't wait to hear how it turns out. What twist rate and profile did you go with?
I have to ask why you went with a 24" tube. I had my R700 with a 22.5" 1/8.5 5R Bartlein 6.5 Creedmoor out yesterday and was hitting consistently on man sized steel at a mile (actually 1740) with it. I'm sure you cold go much shorter with that tube and still have very reasonable velocities. ( I know the Berger 140 hybrid went subsonic at roughly 1650 but they transition very smoothly)

Last edited:
Has anybody had experienced with the gap10 in 6.5 cm? What are ppl getting accuracy wise?

Wes that is fantastic!
I can't wait to hear how it turns out. What twist rate and profile did you go with?
I have to ask why you went with a 24" tube. I had my R700 with a 22.5" 1/8.5 5R Bartlein 6.5 Creedmoor out yesterday and was hitting consistently on man sized steel at a mile (actually 1740) with it. I'm sure you cold go much shorter with that tube and still have very reasonable velocities. ( I know the Berger 140 hybrid went subsonic at roughly 1650 but they transition very smoothly)

I have a friend who has broken the new ground with similar .308 gas gun modifications with good success, and I'm simply following his lead. 24" was what was recommended. It's a Remington Varmint contour Krieger with 1x8.5" twist.

I have an OBR, so I'm not trashing them or LaRue, but considering the backlog on the OBR right now, I'd say a 6.5CM directly from LaRue is unlikely at best. At least in any meaningful time frame.
[MENTION=34024]MSTN[/MENTION], that re-barrel you did sounds like an awesome project. Please update once it's back in your hands, as it's something I'd wondered about the feasibility of myself.

Why not go with the new(er) 6cm for the gas gun? Heard it was optimized for the gas gun? Just what I have gathered from the 'Hide.

The Larue is a quality rifle and Mark does make his own uppers and lowers. POF doesn't even make the Uppers and Lowers, they used to sub their work out. I would recommend the JP rifle in 6.5. JP doesn't make their uppers or lowers either, but they do enough innovative design on their parts that I would go with JP. John puts his rifles through the matches and they do work. I shot beside John at a International Tactical match years ago and he is passionate about his products. You won't be disappointed in the accuracy of the JP rifles.

Wes, any reason you went with larue over GAP? Are there any features of the Obr/tOBR that you prefer over the gap10?

Wes, any reason you went with larue over GAP? Are there any features of the Obr/tOBR that you prefer over the gap10?

I have a GAP Hospitalier with Surgeon action in .243 that may be my most accurate rifle of all time, so I'm well acquainted with GAP's quality.

IMG_2685.jpg

My initial turn-off concerning GAP gas guns was the Armalite magazines they used way back when they started making them. Nothing more. But, that was enough. Never considered one past that. Of course, now they use M-110 pattern stuff, I understand. Good.

My only first hand exposure to GAP gas guns was not favorable. A good friend ordered two of them, one in .308 and the other in .260, both with custom digital camo paint jobs. The guns were just beautifully turned out, cosmetically, but neither would run reliably at all. The accuracy just wasn't there, either.

The BCG in each was pretty plain and rough, just a standard Armalite level of quality. But, the feed ramps … I have files with smoother textures. The barrel was a Bartlein, and as usual flawless inside, otherwise. But, you could cycle a M118LR round through the action of the .308 and the open tip would be just mangled. Plus, two deep scratches down the bullet from the corners of the feed ramps. Think bullet concentricity with commercial ammo could remain intact while undergoing such abuse? It's no wonder they would not shoot, in spite of the Bartlein barrel.

I have a bit of experience hammering gas guns together. Frankly I was horrified by what I saw, because I knew how much my buddy had paid and how long he had waited for these two. I simply could not believe it. These rifles were returned. Needless to say, my friend was quite deflated, and he has a long-standing, very positive relationship with GAP. He still refers to these two rifles as his "jam-o-matics". In short, these were nothing more than than amateurish gas gun builds with a world class barrels and paint jobs, feeding from sub-standard magazines.

These rifles were delivered just after the first Obamanation, in 2009. Maybe they got rushed out the door a little too quickly. And even the best of manufacturers can and do make occasional mistakes. Obviously, from the glowing reports people post on this website about their own experiences with GAP-10's, such problems are now fixed - or at least not publicly discussed.

I've always been enthused by the idea of a real rifle caliber in a gas gun. I've built up a few AR-10's, myself, and that's where I learned to not like their magazines. Or their uppers, lowers, BCG's. I've been through several SR-25's, to include two Mk 11 Mod 0's, and four LMT MWS. Sold 'em all. Military rejects, I figured. I do sometimes wish I'd kept my 1993 vintage SR-25, though, because it's likely that Eugene Stoner once breathed the air in the room where it was assembled. Live and (sometimes) learn.

I bought one of the first Larue OBRs in .308, and one of the first PredatARs, as well. Both werewere gorgeous, ran like tops, and shot well; plus, they exhibited a standard of fit, finish, and attention to detail I'd never, ever seen in any gas gun - (gulp) my own work included.

The OBR was sold to make room for the ergonomically superior P'tOBR. Here's the P'tARin an old Photo. It now has a NF 2.5-1x42 NXS with side focus and T-1 in offset mount.

IMG_0406.jpg

I never really got accustomed the ergonomics of the OBR with A2 or standard carbine stock resulting from the greater drop to the comb, but I was able to work around the issues with a Magpul PRS stock and its adjustable cheekpiece. Now, I even like using a PRS. (Several other .308 rifles share this greater drop to the comb compared to an AR-15, to include the GAP, POF, LWPR, etc.) You find it easy to make compromises when you have a rifle that reliably shoots SO well, suppressed or unsuppressed. Never underestimate the importance of the magazine that feeds the beast. The Larue mags are tops, IMO.

I much preferred the way the PredatAR handled, compared to the OBR. At only 8 pounds, naked, it feels like a regular AR-15 - until you load it, at least. The P'tAR would shoot almost as well under field conditions (not the bench) for me as the 2 pound heavier OBR, just using 2/3 the magnification (2.5-10x24 NXS on the P'tAR vs 3.5-15x50 NXS on the OBR). While on the surface, this is a good thing, the net result for me was I could not figure out into what niche the P'tAR fit best. Was it a precision gun, or a fighting gun? I ended up running a scope AND an Aimpoint T-1 on it, simultaneously. It's my idea of a one-gun arsenal.

Like everybody else who had handled both the OBR and the P'tAR, I wanted an OBR barrel in a P'tAR. And like everybody else, I was sure I thought of it first. At this point, the story of how long that took to happen is an unhappy tale and doesn't need telling again. But, I got what I wanted, finally.

IMG_3411.JPG

IMG_3296.JPG

The shorter one, above, is the 6.5 CM candidate. The 18" P'tOBR "Field Grade" shoots fine as it is.

The first five shots on paper, with BH 168 SMK:

IMG_3217.JPG

Then tried M118LR:

IMG_3216.JPG

I was having a good day!

Best group to date, with Hornady 155 AMAX TAP:

IMG_3360_3.JPG

Last edited:
Can't complain about that Larue barrel quality. Tough to beat that type of accuracy from a gas gun , no matter who builds it. I have witnessed some big name bolt gun makers that wish their rifles would do that. Great shooting !!

I've got a TOBR and it is a darn nice rifle even with the "field grade" 18 inch barrel, nice to know I have a match grade coming once this one is worn out. I had an earlier GAP AR in 308 and the comparison isn't close and favors the TOBR. That was quite a while ago and I don't know what they are putting out now so can't draw a comparison on the new stuff. Last time I had it out I mastered a "9 shot group", 9 into .63" and an outlier opening up the 10 round group to .94", this was with FGMM 175's and me on the trigger. I'm plenty happy with that and still have only 237 rounds down the barrel. Haven't really had a chance to see what reloads can do yet.

Mark Larue has dropped several prompted hints on an ARFCOM thread regarding alternate calibers for the PredatOBR's and specifically it seems 338 Federal for the 7.62 models is one up for consideration if I translated his posts correctly. I have also seen some 6.5, 300blk and 6.8 requests. YMMV...by the way, excellent shooting MSTN! My 16" tOBR shoots great as well with the field grade barrel. I just swapped it for a 14.5" and will see how it performs this weekend while I wait for my match grade 16" barrel to come in.

Attachments

• b9239d5d-835d-42d1-8682-14e317599977_zpsf6b85a03.jpg
    b9239d5d-835d-42d1-8682-14e317599977_zpsf6b85a03.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 34
Has anyone heard anything from Larue on the possibility of a 6.5?

Lucky for everyone the OBR just uses a regular barrel extension so you can get one and drop in a 6.5 barrel of your choosing. All you have to do is get LaRue to sell you an extra barrel nut. I put a PrdtObr barrel in Mega Maten along with the LaRue BGC which is just an Armalite style . I suggest getting a Bartlein barrel for yours.

I'm debating waiting for this, or going with the GAP10 which is available now in 6.5CM. The only thing keeping me from going with the GAP10, might not make rational/logical sense, but does cause me "concern." With Larue, I feel I am getting a truly custom rifle built with parts designed and built in house. With GAP, I am essentially paying for gunsmithing services on an off the shelf POF upper/lower with a nice barrel. When you factor in the fact that the GAP10 charges for threading the barrel and an adjustable gas block (both of which Larue includes in the price), the difference in price is negligible.

Am I way off on this?

So, just to clarify, I could purchase a new OBR, get an extra barrel nut, use the standard barrel extension provided on say, a Bartlein 6.5 barrel, and I'm good to go? Essentially, plug and play? Will this work with a tOBR, or is that not possible because of the proprietary barrel extension?

Basically that is the deal . As I noted in my post we used a PredtObr barrel in a mega upper and lower build with and it used a standard extension.

If the upper has extended feed ramps just an Armalite carbine extension to build the barrel or a batmachine extension if it doesn't. I would also suggest using an Armalite bolt carrier group as the FP diameter is smaller and also the FP is spring loaded with 6.5 ammo since it uses commercial primers and blows primers with DPMS style bolts with a larger fp diameter.

Before anyone flames me . We checked the bolts, carriers and extensions from LMT, KAC, DPMS , LaRue and Armalite and Bat machine. We also check JP bolts too.

So, just to clarify, I could purchase a new OBR, get an extra barrel nut, use the standard barrel extension provided on say, a Bartlein 6.5 barrel, and I'm good to go? Essentially, plug and play? Will this work with a tOBR, or is that not possible because of the proprietary barrel extension?

Last edited:

Please forgive me but are you seriously consider buying a 3400 dollar rifle with over a year wait to use it as a donner?

you can spec out a mega build with a high end optic for not much more than a obr by itself. You could be shooting 6.5 next month not sometime in 2015

Billet is billet. Ar gold triggers are ar gold triggers and a bartline barrel is going to be a bartline barrel regardless of what rifle its on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I bought a MWS just for the lower to make an SR-25 legal in my state. I think the PredatObr is great rifle and the OP can switch it from 7.62 to 6.5 as he pleases . If LaRue sells him an extra barrel nut why not use it ?

Please forgive me but are you seriously consider buying a 3400 dollar rifle with over a year wait to use it as a donner?

you can spec out a mega build with a high end optic for not much more than a obr by itself. You could be shooting 6.5 next month not sometime in 2015

Billet is billet. Ar gold triggers are ar gold triggers and a bartline barrel is going to be a bartline barrel regardless of what rifle its on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Am I way off on this?

POF does not make any parts for us they did supply us parts a couple years ago but Hogan Mnf, in Phoenix has always made them. Hogan makes the Upper/Lower and handguard. the current handguard is nothing like anything in Hogan or POF's line. Bolt/Carrier are made elsewhere to our specs for fit to the Upper. The Barre isl Bartlein the Charging handle Badger, Small parts Norgon/MilSpec/Badger. Trigger is Geiselle or Hogan. Furniture Magpul.

I would say ours is Actually more a Custom build. Larue has worked hard to bring all his Manufacturing in house and that is pretty cool. Were more a specialty shop and only do LR precision Stuff.

Option #2 Get a Larue and have us put on a 6.5 Creed Bartlein Tube. We have done quite a few for people they come out great!!.

GAP makes top notch stuff , and the GAP 10 rifles stellar ! If you are set on a LaRue then you are not going to be much better than a Gap barrel made on a Bartlein blank!

POF does not make any parts for us they did supply us parts a couple years ago but Hogan Mnf, in Phoenix has always made them. Hogan makes the Upper/Lower and handguard. the current handguard is nothing like anything in Hogan or POF's line. Bolt/Carrier are made elsewhere to our specs for fit to the Upper. The Barre isl Bartlein the Charging handle Badger, Small parts Norgon/MilSpec/Badger. Trigger is Geiselle or Hogan. Furniture Magpul.

I would say ours is Actually more a Custom build. Larue has worked hard to bring all his Manufacturing in house and that is pretty cool. Were more a specialty shop and only do LR precision Stuff.

Option #2 Get a Larue and have us put on a 6.5 Creed Bartlein Tube. We have done quite a few for people they come out great!!.

Last edited:
GAP makes top notch stuff , and the GAP 10 rifles stellar ! If you are set on a LaRue then you are not going to be much better than a Gap barrel made on a Bartlein blank!

I concur. I have extensive time behind an OBR and Ill tell you, my GAP 10 is a hammer. In my opinion, they are different rifles completely. The OBR is a great gun and If I had to take one that would spit any ammo out in any conditions, Id grab the OBR. Ive not taken my GAP out in those conditions so I can cant speak on it. We shall see... more to come. Im gonna ring it out.

I have a predatOBR with a 6.5 Creed Proof bbl. Haven't shot it yet, but it looks good. I just need a lower profile gas block than what Proof sent. On another note, has anyone actually got the replacement bbl for their field bbl on the early runs of TOBR's? I am starting to think we are never going to get one.

[MENTION=61953]recon8541[/MENTION]

This is exactly what I am looking to do with my PREDATOBR. How much did it cost for the 6.5 CM barrel from Proof and how long did it take to get it? Thanks in advance for your response.

I really want a 6.5 CM barrel for one of my two Larue P'tOBRs. Both came with the so-called "Field Grade" .308 barrels. The 18" barrel is just fine as is, lucky for me, and will outshoot any similar barrel in a .308 gas gun I've ever had, producing multiple one-hole groups. But, unfortunately, the 16" Field Grade barrel won't shoot better than 3/4 MOA.

So ….

The 16" Field Grade barrel has had the barrel extension cannibalized. A new Krieger 24" 6.5 CM barrel has been turned out, with a 14" length gas system, employing a Syrac adjustable gas block. We're now waiting for the barrel to be nitride treated.

Then, we'll see if this was a good idea or not.

IMG_3953.jpg

IMG_3956.JPG

Note that the gas block was switched to an SLR.

Last edited:
How does she shoot?

Day one was a 100% success. The 140 AMAX was super soft shooting yet functioned perfectly, both suppressed and unsuppressed. POI suppressed and unsuppressed is the best I've ever seen (using a SF SOCOM). I could see zero difference! First group of five at 100 yards went a nice, round 3/4", but they seemed to tighten up at 300 yards, where vertical dispersion was right at one inch on the last group of five.

The Hornady factory brass seems pretty soft and the ejector leaves a big ugly swipe. I didn't really want to reload for this, anyway! The 0.080" firing pin leaves its typical crater, but the primers most definitely are not flattened. Not a pressure issue in this case. That's what the fat mil-spec firing pins do with civilian primers, I guess.

I'm extremely pleased. Congrats to Ben Foster of ABQ for turning out another great big block AR' barrel!

DAMN Wes! That is one dead sexy rifle! It looks like it is going 150mph just sitting there! Would love to know how it shoots.

DAMN Wes! That is one dead sexy rifle! It looks like it is going 150mph just sitting there! Would love to know how it shoots.

How it runs is more important than how it looks - And it seems to be off to a strong start, running like a top. I can already tell I do not have enough Hornady 140 AMAX to last until August.

The looks need some work. I'd originally planned on a (black) NF ATACR on top of this gun, but that scope and mount are in use elsewhere. This S&B was already in the correct height Spuhr mount, not being used. But the RAL8000 Cerakote on the S&B just looks odd with the Magpul Foliage Green.

I've got an idea.

So what would you say is a good barrel length ? I don't think I want something quite so long.. will be running it with a suppressor for the most part ..

The attraction of the 6.5 CM when compared to the .308 for me is - obviously - the 6.5 CM's higher velocity with a higher BC projectile. To go shorter on the barrel would negate the velocity advantage to some degree.

I will tell you that the rig shown above with 24" barrel, complete with suppressor, is a handful, no question about it. But, it seems to work quite well for its intended purpose, long range capability.

Something 16" like this .308 is much easier to maneuver:

IMG_3950.JPG

Look's great ! Also based on your post it shoots great!!

Oh bummer you took the extension off that barrel.. Bat machine makes the correct extensions or Armalite, you could have sold the barrel to someone who wanted a LaRue 308 unit for a blaster...

IMG_3953.jpg

IMG_3956.JPG

Note that the gas block was switched to an SLR.

Last edited:
Look's great ! Also based on your post it shoots great!!

Oh bummer you took the extension off that barrel.. Bat machine makes the correct extensions or Armalite, you could have sold the barrel to someone who wanted a LaRue 308 unit for a blaster...

Oh, I tried to use the BAT for that exact purpose. The BAT feed ramps did not match those of the Larue barrel extension, nor would the BAT barrel extension fit into the Larue upper receiver. You're right - Bummer!!!

The BAT is the best looking, best finished barrel extension I've ever seen, though.

It didn't fit? That is weird, I built a mega with PredObr barrel and it fit perfect. Was the extension tight and wouldn't come in and out by hand. The feed ramps might be an issue, I take it the LaRue has deeper ramps?

Oh, I tried to use the BAT for that exact purpose. The BAT feed ramps did not match those of the Larue barrel extension, nor would the BAT barrel extension fit into the Larue upper receiver. You're right - Bummer!!!

The BAT is the best looking, best finished barrel extension I've ever seen, though.

It didn't fit? That is weird, I built a mega with PredObr barrel and it fit perfect. Was the extension tight and wouldn't come in and out by hand. The feed ramps might be an issue, I take it the LaRue has deeper ramps?

Correct on both counts. The BAT is too tight to fit in the Larue receiver and there are deeper feed ramps on the Larue.