• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Larue or JP semi auto

dlouie87

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2010
CA
I'm looking to get a semi auto rifle. either in a .223 or .308. My friend recommended me to check out the OBR or Predator from larue and the Ctr-02 or Lrp-07 from Jp.

I dont know much about the semi auto market so any input or opinions on these platforms will be great.

I want to eventually get into 3-gun but I currently just shoot recreationally.

Re: Larue or JP semi auto

What are you wanting it for, long-range precision? I'd check out the DPMS 6.5CM or JP 6.5 grendel.

Something to hit hard from a combat length bbl, check out LaRue, and POF, LWRC.

I have an JP LRP-07 long range rifle in 308 that I bought off a fellow Hide member earlier this year. Never owned a JP rifle before but all my IPSC buddies either bragged or drooled about them for the longest time. Anyway, I have had AR10 platform rifles before from custom makers. They have been sold. This JP rifle is a couple notches above them in quality, craftmanship, and performance. Its built incredibly well and all the parts seamlessly fit together with zero slop. It shoots 1/2 MOA all day with Fed 158g GMM. I have not worked up a handload for it yet b/c I so impressed with the results Im getting w/ factory match ammo. It puts a smile on my face to see tiny bugholes down range from what this rifle can do. The left sided charging handle is a huge improvement over the classic AR10 platform. The Cooley comp I have on mine keeps the rifle in place very efficiently. There is nothing I can complain about with this rifle except you can only use JP uppers with it if you wanted additional uppers for other purposes then long range precision shooting. Again, not a bad thing since they are top notch in quality.

If you're in Cali and want an AR there are a few laws to deal with, check out calguns.net. Also for some ideas about types of ARs to get look in their centerfire rifles->gallery there is a "cali-legal 556" and several "SPR" blah blah AR build pic threads. Will give you some ideas.

Also if you're in the bay area there's an FFL I know of who has a couple OBR and PREDATAR 223 rifles in stock ready to go. If so I'll see if I can find his contact info and pm you.

You could build one with better parts for less money than either of your choices. I was looking at a Larue, very hard, but decided to build my own. I'm glad I did.

I've got a JP LRP with a 308W upper and a 260 upper. Both are 1/2 minute accuracy. Never a malfunction with either after 3k rounds on the 308 and 1k rounds on the 260. You can put pic rails as desired on the JP ff tube for that tacticool look.

FWIW, tread carefully putting the 308 platform guns together yourself. In my experience, they're not quite as forgiving as the AR-15 platform guns. I've done lots of both.

Two different rifles, JP is very light (Ha!) compared to the OBR, JP has a fine single stage trigger, OBR has the Geissele also very good. The side cocking LRP-07 is nice, can mount a scope very low. Fit, finish is super. You can say the same about the OBR.
I think of the OBR as more of a long range .308, the JP as more (I'm afraid to say it)
of a race gun. JP is lighter, less rails, and you could set it up as a long range rifle, super accurate, probably very close to OBR regarding practical accuracy. Open both rifles and you will see just how nicely finished they are. OBR more .mil, JP so not .mil. Finely tuned triggers, close tolerances. I have to use a brass drift and hammer to knock takedown pin out of the JP. NO slop, tighter than Dick's hatband. My buddy's OBR is tight, not quite as much as my JP. One negative, in my book, is that JP still uses Uncle Mikes swivels as standard... one can do better.

The only OBR negative is that it is heavy. Compared to the JP, it feels moar heavy, like a lot.
The JP negative is you have to put on any rails, swivels attachments, etc. Mine didn't come with an ambi selector, which is weak sauce on a $3500+ rifle. Add sights, a couple of rails, ambi selector, price/weight goes up.

The OBR pluses are is is accurate, 16'-20' barrels, good option choices (grips, sights, stocks).
The JP pluses are it is very accurate, fairly light weight, great trigger, can sling some lead, just ask the 3-gun guys.

JP and Larue are good to go regarding CS.That is a draw. Price is were it should be on both rifles, look at what you get. Can order pretty much what you want regarding stocks, flash suppressors, the Cooley is very good, I bet owners put more cans on OBRs than owners of JP LRP-07.

They are just different enough, you could go two distinct routes. Perfect world:
OBR with a 20" tube, Giesselle, Magpul PRS, Surefire on the end. USO 3.2-17X T-Pal
on top. Atlas or Bobro bipod. Fap, fap, fap.

LRP-07 with an 18" tube, Troy sights, only 2 small rail sections (occasional bipod, light/laser), no vert grip. Sopmod or ARFX. USO SN-4 1.5-6X. Fap, fap, fap.

Here's my LRP-07 w SN-4/JNG/red/USO rings...
DSC_0416.jpg

DSC_0413.jpg

Shot this with FGMM...not bad for a "race gun" and a 6X scope with a combat reticle.
DSC_0395.jpg

I've had both Larue and Jp. Aesthetics is the biggest difference. Both are very high quality. Side charging is a huge plus for me, as a suppressed shooter.

Holy shit, somebody on SH is giving JP a thumbs up!
They are a great company.

Can't really give a comparison as I've never held or shot a JP- but I have handled a decent number of other 308 AR pattern rifles... I doubt you can go wrong with any of the higher end brands. I choose the OBR w 20" barrel and it's a serious tack driver- but heavy. One thing I have noticed with just about all high end rifles- there is a general feel to them of quality. Just handling it you can sense the difference between a DPMS or armalite and KAC, Larue, LMT, etc etc etc.

It appears you have some very good advise here- if you want a long range gun exclusively, you cannot go wrong with the OBR- want something lighter, maybe try the JP. I've never seen a PreditAR so I can't speak to it's quality or feel...

I can't wait for my lrp-07H to get here!!! woohoo, though I have to say if you go to JP's website and pull up the order sheet, a decently kitted out rifle approaches Knights armament type prices.

are you talking about the shop in Tracy, Ca?

Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm aware of the CA laws with ARs from calguns.com. I'm planning on using this rifle to eventually get into the hobby of 3-gunning. I just want to buy the "correct" rifle for me.

As for the caliber.... a .223/5.56 cal should be fine right? There is no need to get the .308 for 3-gunning or is there? I'm fairly uneducated about the sport but it definitely seems fun and I want to learn more about it.

I'm still looking around but the PredatAR looks GTG. It's lighter than the obr put practically the same with different rails.

If you are mainly interested in 3-gun stick with 5.56 and a JP. The JP-15 and CTR-02 are specifically designed around the 3-gun game. Larue OBR is not. Both the JP-15 and CTR-02 uppers will fit on any standard AR-15 lower although the CTR-02 upper would look a little odd on a stamped AR lower. You can get a JP trigger, low mass buffer, and AR lower for less than the 11% tax tacked on a buying a complete rifle.
wink.gif

There is no power/caliber factor in 3-gun so 7.62 doesn't get you anything unless you are planning on shooting Heavy Metal division. Dependent on the match there are several flavors of Heavy Metal. The main one though is 7.62 rifle, single stack .45 pistol, and a 12 ga pump shotgun. Both Larue and JP make fine pieces of kit tailored towards specific uses. 3-gun is JP's primary focus.

5.56 for 3-gun. No need for 308. Get the jp, I love mine. They are pricy but worth it. If you want you could just buy the upper and build your own lower like I did and save some money.
The low mass buffer/carrier really make a difference with the adjustable gas block and comp. Gun shoots super flat, even with my scope on 10x standing unsupported I can spot my misses.

Thank you. I'll definitely look into it some more.

I've never shot a JP, so I can't do a comparison. Having said that, I love my OBR. It (almost) makes a boltgun obsolete.

Overall quality and accuracy are excellent. Equally important, the reliability is top notch. I have not had a single issue with FTF FTE, etc. in the 600+ rounds I've fired through it so far. And, I've never cleaned it.

On another note, if you are like me (and several others here) the first few range days with your new semi- (regardless of maker) could prove a bit humbling. They are a diffrent creature to shoot well. I can be lazy with technique through recoil on the bolt and still shoot fairly well. Not so with a semi-.