• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Larue PredatOBR 762 Need Advice- What Size Barrel?

scottsar

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2013
Looking for feedback from others who own or have ordered this rifle. Getting ready to hit the enter button on my order but torn between the 14.5 and 18". The cool factor is definately there with the 14.5 with the Suitcase effect, but will I get much more out of the 18" barrel for long range shooting. BTW my range only goes to 450 yards. Thanks looking for what you picked and why. Thanks in advance.

I assume very little difference between the 14.5 and 16 unto you get out past 600 yards or so? Also the 14.5 has a shorter rail, which should equal less weight?

I must admit, I glazed over the fact that it was a 7.62... That being the case, I think 16" is more appropriate. I'm of the idea that I will go as short as I can and always have the length of a suppressor in consideration. I have a 1.5-8x on my AR setup (5.56)now and ran it in a match the other weekend. It was a DM match and I thought I would have an ideal setup. Well, the match turned out to be more of a short range PRS match with tons of time and small targets and I found myself wanted a lot more magnification. By no means am I getting rid of that optic, it will go on deployment with me from here on but I do intend on getting something with more mag to try and hang better at these matches. A rifle like the one you're considering, I would have at least 12x and a reticle that let's you do accurate holds. Keep it short and fast.

i ordered the 7.62 in 16in in Jan. and was hoping for the same range. i have a 556 in the dry-fire take-down and its ok but its a build it your self deal.

Damn! I just ordered in 14.5 with a surefire break. Plan to run a decently magnified optic on it. Should I reconsider and go 16 or 18 even? The difference in weight is minimal between 16 and 18 and I'd get 2 extra inched of match grade barrel..

I doubt they'd give you a hard time for changing. 16" is as short as I would go with .308. If you ever shot the 14.5" unsuppressed you would know why. 16" will beat you and everyone around you as it is.

Got ya- not going to make too many friends at the range with 14.5 barrel and brake. If I go 16, why not 18?

I've got the 16" and have shot it to 770m (range max) and it does well. I've seen many reports of shooters at 800 and beyond with the 14.5" so I think it will be more your preference for a 400 gun.

FWIW Mark said he's going to start offering individual handguards and barrels so once that is out I plan to pick up a 14.5 for funm

i hate to be the one to tell you if you change you go to the bottom of the list. i have changed 2 times one from predatAR to predatOBR then to 7.62. i was on the 556 list for 8 months before i changed to 7.62, but there is some wait so order sooner and change or cancel if needed. there are support groups links on the bottom of their home page.

i went 16 so i can change my muzzle device when ever i want and not have to pin/weld.

I was in the same dilemma but was stuck between the 16" and 18". I can tell you that the 16" barrel with a Surefire break is still not going to make you any friends at the range. I can't imagine what a 14.5" would sound/feel like with a break and no suppressor.

I went with the 16" and will get an 18" when the match barrels finally ship. Best of both worlds.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks guys. Looks like all options serve their purpose. The 16 is halfway and can still reach out their and touch something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got a 18" off the shelf from a Dealer with no waiting time at all, but Honestly, I'm glad I got the 18" anyways. For a .308 Rifle I wouldn't go any shorter than 16" unless you're dead set on getting a Surpressor. Also, the 16" Rail can be used for 14.5" and 18" Barrels. As a matter of fact it looks BADASS with 14.5 and the Longer Rail.

Good luck and they'll shoot either way you roll the dice!

IMHO 16 inch is the best of everything. While being very portable and handy the accuracy is there to ping steel at 1000 and if you through a can on the end you aren't pushing it to much. The extra 2 inches is cool and all but once you put a suppressor on the end of an 18 inch you'll be looking at about a 24-26 overall length gun and with all the weight on the end of the gun just seems a little bit too much for me. Now with that said Im also 6'5 250 and I'm a solid brick of muscle so I don't really care much about the weight anyways and for me at this point 16 inches is about the lowest ill go in size of a 7.62 because I have no issues running that with no discomfort. In the end it really depends on a lot of factors for YOU to decide.
A. Your own size and weight.
B. Your general purpose of the gun
C. What your going to end to the gun

I routinely hit 1080 yds with my 14.5. Your only losing 10-20 ft/sec in that 1.5 inches. 175gr FGMM stays super sonic out of my rifle to just over 1000yds. My 2 cents, get the 14.5. Larue will make bbls available in the future.