• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Larue Tactical Stealth Sniper Rifle

jatienza

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2010
Grand Junction, CO
I am in the process of building a rifle for 3-gun/tactical sniper competition and general range fun. Here is where I am at this point. Any comments on improvement would be greatly appreciated.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Rifle Build Requirement:</span> Fast accurate rifle from 10 yards to 600 yards. Targets are at unknown distances and the shooter must be able to mil distances with out the aid of a range finder. No wind meters allowed. Off-hand, prone, and vetical supported shooting stances are required.

- LaRue Billet Lower
- LT011-18-12 LaRue Tactical Stealth Sniper System LT011 (IonBond, 18", 12" LT15-12)
- LT104-30mm LaRue Tactical SPR / M4 Scope Mount QD LT-104 (30mm)
- 600-001-002 BOTH Front & Rear Troy Sights COMBO (Black); tritium front sight.
- LaRue Tactical 17S Upgrade LT-171 with Atlas bipod minus Arms mount (BT10-NC)
- 710-001 Geissele Two Stage Trigger-DMR Small Pin
- Sierra Precision SPR Grip
- Magpul Rail Ladders (Black)
- Nightforce <span style="text-decoration: line-through">3.5x15x56mm NXS </span>3.5x15x50 F1 (.1 mil/MLR).
- Magpul UBR Stock (Black)
- Troy Sling Mount, OEM M4 600-010
- LaRue Tactical 1.25 Inch Swivel
- Vickers Padded Combat Sling (2-pt) (Black)
- Magpul Pmags (Black)
- Magpul Ranger Plates (Black)
- Colt Lower Parts Kit (LPK)
- Aimpoint Micro T-1 with LT-724 Angled QD mount Combo 500-009-724
- JP Enterprises Short Range Tactical Sight JP-SRTS
- Two (2) JP Rail Offset Adapters, Quick Detach 45 degree on Bore Axis

Here are a few pics of the various parts for the build:

I chose the 4th upper from the top (18" barrel w/ 12" handguard).

StealthProfileSheet_Rev-3-16-09.jpg

P7299880.jpg

UBRStock.jpg

P1011594.jpg

Nightforcew-oshade.jpg

AimpointMicroT-1AngledMount.jpg

AtlasBipod.jpg

P3122412.jpg

P6189535.jpg

Re: Larue Tactical Stealth Sniper Rifle

You don't need the push button mount, their rails have them built in. I like all of Larue's stuff so can't find anything negative to say about it. Nightforce is also good, you should be a happy man. The Nightforce you showed is a bit much for three gun though. Go with a 1-4x or you will spend more time trying to find the targets then shooting. God luck,

Strangedays

I'd skip the geissle dmr and go with the none adjustable ssa.

I'd also skip the Harris and get an atlas with LT 171.

Should be a slick rifle!!!

That looks like a very nice setup.

Some personal experience of mine.

I've found the Magpul BUIS set is faster than the traditional flip ups since you just need to push down on them in order to have them flip up. You don't need to grip the actual sight. Which in a competition situation, will help you be faster if your optic goes down. Also if you don't think you'll ever use the backup sights anyways, you can save a few $$ by going to the Magpul ones (~$90 per set).

Also, I've started to run the Magpul ASAP plate with the MS2 sling. I really like the ability to go from a single point to 2 point sling just by moving the clip. Search for videos of this online for a better explanation. I've found the single point to be advantageous when I need full range of movement while engaging targets, especially around barricades etc. But I still retain the ability to use a 2 point when I find it necessary. Best of both worlds imo . (~$80 for plate and sling)

I'm in no way affiliated with Magpul. I just think they make great products just like Larue.

Also, I'm not sure how much CQB type shooting you plan to do, but a T-1 on a Larue side mount would be an awesome addition for some close in work.

Again, just a few suggestions from my experience.

Rocksteady,

I originally had a Magpul MS2 sling in the specs, but I was told the sling was not heavy enough to handle the weight of the rifle (approximately 14 pounds).

Your thoughts?

The ssa is non adjustable(less to go wrong). It's 100 cheaper. And still slick as snot.

The atlas is lighter, lower profile, and does more.

I doubt if you will be at 14 lbs and I have used a MS2 sling on a 16 pound AR-10 so I think you would still be fine. I have switched to the LArue slings though becouse of the comfort.

Jatienza,

I'm running it on a 9 lb. rifle right now and it is rock solid.

Looking at the construction, I do not see any weak point that couldn't hold a heavier rifle.

The quick disconnect point maybe the only place, but you would still need to shear off 1/8" diameter pin.

In any case, I would think they would put some safety factor of atleast 2 on equipment like this. So if it's build for 8-9 lb. carbine, then 16-18 lb. should be no problem at all.

I don't see a problem, BUT I would call Magpul about this to make sure.

Here's a pic of the Vickers padded combat sling:

VickersSling-1.jpg

I chose this one because it was padded. I'll take another look at Magpul sling.

Jatienza,

I've been putting together a rifle similar in concept to yours. It'll be my do-most-everything-type-carbine. I subscribe to the K.I.S.S. principle as much as possible. I plan on lugging it around the woods so I want it light as possible.

Here's what I have so far:

RRA upper and lower. face of the upper has been trued they fit super tight.

DPMS LPK with Geissle SSA (non adjustable K.I.S.S.)

Seirra SPR grip

Magpul CTR Milspec (it's light and locks up tight)

Hard chrome bolt group (got a good deal)

KAC 600m BUIS rear and KAC front (I wouldn't mind swapping the rear for a 600M micro)

Atlas Bipod

Things I still need:

Vortex or AAC FH (they're the best 2 FH on the market)

1:8 SS barrel (I'm leaning towards a 16" midlength but haven't ruled out an 18")

Free float tube (I still haven't decided on one yet. I don't need 4 sides of rails. I'm wanting 10-11" with a 16" barrel. I'm looking at the new YHM, the troy TRX, and recently found the Blackheart Int'l. All those have full top rails and either bolt on side and bottom rails or short side and bottom rails. the YHM seems to be the simplest and cheapest.)

Noveske Minimalist rear plate (has swivel built it)

Low profile gas block

I'm leaning towards the TAB sling

Vortex 1-4 PST mil/mil is on back order (1.5-6 or 2-8 would be my preffered mag range, but nobody makes one I can afford right now. USO would be a good choice if I had the coin.)

Larue SPR mount

I figure it should come in about 10-12lbs and be easy to pack.

HTH,
LM

Rocksteady,

Original Quote:

"Also, I'm not sure how much CQB type shooting you plan to do, but a T-1 on a Larue side mount would be an awesome addition for some close in work."

I definitely need to address close quarter shots so I checked out the Larue Tactical LT660 Aimpoint T-1 QR that you suggested.

It is very light and I like it so I will add it to the specs.

Thanks for the info...

Luvman,

I checked out the Atlas bipod. That is a sweet bipod.

AtlasBipod.jpg

I already ordered the Harris Bipod with Larue Tactical QR mount. Maybe, it is not too late to change my order on Monday.

Nice build you have going there, by the way!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jatienza</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Luvman,

Nice build you have going there, by the way! </div></div>

Thanks! I've been piecing it together for years
wink.gif

Luvman,

Thanks for pointing out that Atlas Bipod. Now I have to have one. It is now in the build specs.

Thanks to great comments like yours and the rest of this well educated crowd, this site has successfully blown my budget clear out of the water in just a couple of hours!

I'm just kidding; I really do appreciate the comments. I have always wanted to build the ultimate AR-15 with the best (well almost best) of every part possible. If I can get it right on the first try that would be a wonderful thing...

Jat,

if you switch to the SSA trigger it should bring your budget back in line.
wink.gif

I'd pick up the Atlas with no mount and get a larue mount for it.

I have both the Atlas's in your pic. I upgraded the one with the arms throw lever to the Larue. I'm glad I did
smile.gif

HTH,
LM

Luvman,

I already ordered the double action adjustable trigger. I also like the fact that I can adjust the trigger to my likings for competition. I have always shot a two stage trigger on my Armalite so I am used to it.

I already ordered the Larue Tactical mount and Harris Bipod. Does the Atlas bipod attach to a standard stud? What I am trying to get at is can I use the Larue Tactical mount I already ordered with an Atlas Bipod (minus their standard mount)?

no the atlas mounts to a rail. depending on which Atlas you ordered it will clamp directly you your rail (the folded one in the Atlas pic above), it will have not have a mount (not pictured) you'll need a LT171, or it'll have arms 17s (the one pictured standing up).

hope that makes sense,
LM

ETA: if you do any shooting sitting down you can pick up the atlas leg extensions and stuff some 1/2" wooden dowel rod into them at the desired height for sitting. I cut mine to 18". Then all it takes to go from prone to sitting is swapping out the feet.

What did you mean by this?

"I'd pick up the Atlas with no mount and get a larue mount for it."

mod BT10 is the one pictured folded

mod BT10-LW17 is the one pictured standing up

mod BT10-NC is like the one standing up but doesn't come with a the arms 17s. I'd pick this one up and get a LT 171

I'm with you now,

LaRue Tactical 17S Upgrade LT-171 with Atlas bipod minus the Arms mount (BT10-NC):

LT171.jpg

Oh one last thing, on your NXS if you get an moa based reticle get moa knobs, and if you get a mil based reticle get mil knobs.

If I were buying a nxs it would be a 3.5-15 F1 with MLR reticle and .1 milrad knobs.
wink.gif

I hope you budgeted plenty for ammo, it would be a shame to have a rifle this sweet and not be able to shoot it
frown.gif

hth,
LM

I already bought the Nightforce scope. It has a moa based reticle with .25 moa click turrets. I screwed up on the NP-R2 reticle. I should have bought the NP-R1 reticle to make milling distances easier. Oh well, I guess I will have to live with that mistake for now.

Here's a pic of the scope turrets:

NightforceTurretsII.jpg

Ammo should not be an issue for now. I have 1,000 rounds of .223 ammo and 1,000 rounds of Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grain for my custom Remington 700 .308 rifle. I plan on using the following rifle (built by Roy @ Grayguns) also for tactical sniper and long range rifle competition:

CustomRemington700-3.jpg

Maybe in the future I will move the current Nightforce scope to my Remington 700 and get the Nightforce 3.5-15 F1 for the Larue Tactical rig.

I checked out the pricing for the Nightforce 3.5-15 F1 on opticsplanet.com. The 3.5-15 F1 is definitely the best scope for what I am trying to accomplish with this build. Wow, it's only $2,290. This hobby is rediculously expensive. I used to think golf was expensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jatienza</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look what you guys made me do... Total Cost to Date: $5,377.</div></div>

Go big or go home I say! You sir, are my new hero!

I always like doubling the value of my vehicle by putting a rifle in it.

How much is the rifle and how much is the scope?

Here's a price breakdown:

<span style="font-weight: bold">First Order:</span>

1 750-001 LaRue Billet Lowers
$250.00
1 LT011-18-12 LaRue Tactical Stealth Sniper System LT011
(IonBond, 18", 12" LT15-12)
$1,195.00
1 LT104-30mm LaRue Tactical SPR / M4 Scope Mount QD LT-104
(30mm)
$195.00
1 600-001-002 BOTH Front & Rear Troy Sights COMBO
(Black)
$199.00
1 680-001-130 Harris Bipod BR-S and LaRue Tactical LT-130 QD Mount
$171.49
1 710-001 Geissele Two Stage Trigger-DMR Small Pin
$279.00

Sub-Total
$2,289.49
Shipping: Standard: $29.90 Two Day: $45.90 Next Day: $72.90
Sales Tax $0.00
LaRue Tactical Total $2,319.39
Store Credit -$0.00
TOTAL DUE $2,319.39

<span style="font-weight: bold">Second Order:</span>

670-054 PMag Ranger Plate 3 Pak 670-054, 670-055, 670-056 670-071
(Black) $14.95

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

600-010 Troy Sling Mount, OEM M4 600-010 $44.95

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

500-009-724 Aimpoint Micro T-1 with LT-724 Angled QD mount Combo 500-009-724
($5.00 Insurance) $657.50

811-001 LaRue Tactical 1.25 Inch Swivel $15.00

LT171 LaRue Tactical 17S Upgrade LT-171 $79.00

Sub-Total
$811.40
Shipping: Standard: $10.95 Two Day: $35.95 Next Day: $64.95
LaRue Tactical ESTIMATED TOTAL $822.35

<span style="font-weight: bold">Additional Items:</span>

Nightforce 13.5x15x50mm NXS Scope: $1,500
Ergo Grip: $25
Magpul Rail Ladders: $40
Magpul UBR Stock: $300
Colt Lower Receiver Parts Kit: $80
Vickers Combat Sling: $50
Buffer Spring/Buffer: $20
Atlas Bipod (BT10-NC): $220

<span style="font-weight: bold">Total Cost: $5,377</span>

Delete Nightforce 13.5x15x50mm NXS Scope: $1,500
Add Nightforce 3.5-15 F1 $2,290

<span style="font-weight: bold">Total Cost: $6,167</span>

Well, buy once, cry once. Good to see a quality build. You'll definitely be happy with it.

You didn't say what class you were shooting in but from the looks of the build you are shooting in Open. Do you have an Open Pistol and Shotgun to go with it or were you planning on shooting Tactical and just didn't realize with 2 optics and a bipod you are in Open Class?
Something to think about also is the weight of your rifle, which was mentioned earlier, as it looks right now you will be sitting at about 12lbs. You can shave a lot of weight by going with a 1-4 optic, a standard lower vice billet (but it isn't as cool), an 18-10 vice the 18-12 (lose a little in your sight radius with the buis) and the T-1 offset combo. a JPoint, FastFire or something similar on a LT-137.
Just some things to consider, LT makes AWESOME products and I have a few of them. Heck you could even wait for their OBR Lite to come out and you would drop all kinds of weight and would not have to worry about much else besides optics since it will come with the Gieselle trigger.

Oh and 1k in ammo for an autoloader is about a weeks worth of practice for 3-gun. Might wanna consider more ammo, or start reloading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luvman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd skip the geissle dmr and go with the none adjustable ssa.

Should be a slick rifle!!!</div></div>

jatienza....not trying to hijack your thread.

luvman - is the LaRue LT171 a straight replacment for the ARMS 17S on an Atlas i.e is the spacing for the screws identical? (I have tried asking LaRue but got a pretty unhelpful reply when I asked the question on screw spacing!).

Thanks.

Original Quote from CJS10mm:

"You didn't say what class you were shooting in but from the looks of the build you are shooting in Open. Do you have an Open Pistol and Shotgun to go with it or were you planning on shooting Tactical and just didn't realize with 2 optics and a bipod you are in Open Class?"

Well, for right now, I want to shoot tactical irons with one scope on the rifle until I get my feet wet. This will keep me out of the arms race until I jump into the open division. Besides that, all of my competition experience has been with iron sights. I used to run a Sig P226 Stainless Elite (DA/SA with short reset trigger) with custom fitted Barsto barrel & Sig aluminum checkered griips for IDPA competition. I love the weight of the gun for recoil reduction. The X-Five Tactical was too long to fit in the box.

My past competition experience has been with IDPA where we can only shoot iron sights. I have gotten pretty good with a shotgun from trap and skeet. I shoot a Benelli Cordoba for trap and skeet. I average around 23 of 25. I thought trap and skeet would be a good way to practice swinging the shotgun for quick target aquisition. I bird hunt also.

I shoot all of my guns as much as possible. I mix it up to keep it interesting. My main weaknesses are shotgun and AR-15 competition. I have been practicing 3-gun on my own in IDPA pits (transitioning from all three weapons), but I am just getting started. I have the most to learn in long range shooting. This sport is very challenging from a mental standpoint, but that is why I am drawn to it.

Thanks to you guys, the amount of stuff I have learned from this site since I have joined is quite amazing. You guys are in another world when it come to this sport. I had no idea there was so much involved. The guys associated with this site are more educated and friendlier than any other gun site I have ever joined.

I bought a FNH SLP Mark-I for 3-gun competition. I plan on running iron sights on this shotgun for now. I am hoping I can trick this out in the future when I decide to jump into the open division. What I like about the FNH SLP Mark-I is that I can put various choke tubes in this shotgun and shoot skeet with it for practice. In order to shoot skeet, I have really choke down the barrel to get a tight enough shot pattern with a 22" barrel. You should see the looks I get when I shoot skeet with this shotgun.

I can also shoot slugs when I choose to do so. The FNH SLP Mark-I does not have a ghost ring sight so it does not mess with my peripheral vision. It allows me to shoot with both eyes open. It also comes with 8+1 capacity straight out of the box. It has Winchester SX3 action, which is the fastest on the planet.

Here is a picture of my original 3-gun setup for tactical scoped division (I couldn't leave well enough alone):

3-GunTacticalIronSetup-1.jpg

Fiber-optic front sight for quick target aquisition:

FrontSight-1.jpg

FNH SLP Mark-I:

FNHSLPMKI.jpg

I will be running a Sig Sauer P-226 X-Five Tactical (Single action only) with 20 +1 capacity (minus the weapon light):

I believe there is only a magazine height restriction and I am pretty sure my current setup for my handgun falls within the height restrictions for the tactical division. I cannot fathom drilling holes into the frame of this handgun to mount a C-More sight when I jump into the open division.

SigX-FiveTactical-2.jpg

X-FiveHolster-2.jpg

P226MagPouch-1.jpg

I know I can only use one optic on my AR-15 for the tactical iron scoped division. What would be your suggestion for the ultimate scope for tactical iron scoped division? I am using quick release on everything to give me easy options for alternate setups for each division that I choose to shoot in. I want to get my AR-15 setup for the open division out of the way. As they say, I try to buy once, cry once. I can bring the Larue Tactical rifle back into the tactical scoped division with the right CQB scope. I have used a Trijicon ACOG scope in the past.

I could replace the Aimpoint Micro T-1 with this JP Enteprises' angle-mounted iron sight for close quarter shots and still only have one optic:

JPSRTS2_271.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">By the way, the 2nd optic was RockSteady's fault:

"Also, I'm not sure how much CQB type shooting you plan to do, but a T-1 on a Larue side mount would be an awesome addition for some close in work."</span>

CJS10mm,

Origingal Quote:

"Oh and 1k in ammo for an autoloader is about a weeks worth of practice for 3-gun. Might wanna consider more ammo, or start reloading."

As we all know, ammo is always a nagging issue. I have been resisting reloading for a while now. I plan on making a bulk purchase as soon as I decide what type ammo to buy for the Larue Tactical rifle.

Any suggestions?

Do you guys practice with the same ammo you use in competition?

Yes sir it'll bolt right up. It's actually a better mount IMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luvman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd skip the geissle dmr and go with the none adjustable ssa.

Should be a slick rifle!!!</div></div>

jatienza....not trying to hijack your thread.

luvman - is the LaRue LT171 a straight replacment for the ARMS 17S on an Atlas i.e is the spacing for the screws identical? (I have tried asking LaRue but got a pretty unhelpful reply when I asked the question on screw spacing!).

Thanks. </div></div>

I have had the JP SRTS and I was not that happy with it, I always yearned for a longer sight radius, I have seen people mount a set of irons on the side of their rail like a set of MBUS and then flip them up when needed but I think that was on a 45 offset or a customizable rail. I can just turn my optic down to 1x (millet) and with the illum turned on just keep both eyes open. I like that a lot better and I have yet to find anything I couldn't hit in the USPSA Multigun realm with 4x and a 1MOA dot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jatienza</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm with you now,

LaRue Tactical 17S Upgrade LT-171 with Atlas bipod minus the Arms mount (BT10-NC):

LT171.jpg

</div></div>

Where did you find this on the Larue website? The only thing I could find that comes close to this is the Leupold Prismatic mount.

Help me out. I would love to have one of these for my Atlas!

What holster is that on the sig?

Not reloading for this thing is gonna be a crime unless you got the scratch to buy match grade ammo for it. You'd be handicapping yourself from the get go.

I run cheaper stuff on the local carbine matches where the ranges dont go over 100 yards or so but to take advantage of all the rifle is gonna offer your gonna need some match ammo and that is spendy even for .223.

Original post by longerange30:

"Where did you find this on the Larue website? The only thing I could find that comes close to this is the Leupold Prismatic mount.

Help me out. I would love to have one of these for my Atlas!:"

Here is the web link to the Larue Mount:

Larue Mount Link

Original Quote by Poison123:

"What holster is that on the sig?"

It is a BladeTech Stingray paddle-type kydex holster that is IDPA approved. It is the only holster on the market specifically made for the Sig P226 X-five Tactical. If you are going to order one, make sure you select the 5" barrel with rail. Here's the link:

Stingray Holster

Original Post by rrflyer:

"Not reloading for this thing is gonna be a crime unless you got the scratch to buy match grade ammo for it. You'd be handicapping yourself from the get go."

I plan on purchasing bulk match ammo for now as soon I figure out what kind to buy. I prefer to shoot over reloading. I'll pay the piper for now.