• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LaRue Tactical Stealth Upper, 18 or 20?

skydive91

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2009
Iowa City, Iowa
Hello,I did a search but I myself can't find a lot of information about this even though I am sure there is a ton of information out there on this topic.

Anyways I am having a hard time deciding between the 20" or 18" barrel in the Larue stealth upper 5.56. I would be using this gun for mainly target/hunting from ranges of 1-600 yards, but would eventually like to ring steel at 800 yrds. If anyone could give me the the pros and cons of the two barrels lengths or just personel experience it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Sayer

Re: LaRue Tactical Stealth Upper, 18 or 20?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skydive91</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would be using this gun for mainly target/hunting from ranges of 1-600 yards, but would eventually like to ring steel at 800 yrds. </div></div>

Well, if you're not going to be running around with it, you might as well use the extra two inches.

I have owned the 18" and 20" stealth uppers and have nothing bad to say about either. I only took them out to 400yds but with the 77smk they would both hold under 1.25" for 5 shots at 400yds. I don't think you will gain anything with the 20" barrel in .223, it is really just preference.

I would go 18.....
Are you going to be running a can ever?

There is a pretty good Thread on M4carbine.net discussing the benefits of the SPR, and Recce, but those are 16 and 18 inch. I have taken my 18 inch SPR out to 800 on steel with no issues.

The last two inches don't make much difference in velocity. I say 18".

I have shot 16, 18, and 20 on an MGM precision steel target from 600 - 1k with 77's.

At 800+ they all hit the steel with the same anemic 'tink'. However, at 600 it is a crap shoot if the 16" can reliably open and close the (mag rated) doors.

Personally, if the question is simply 18" v 20" - I'd take the 20".

Good luck

When I had my SPR built by noveske they recommended the 16" I have also shot the Larue OBR 5.56 in 18" and had no problems hitting steel past 800. Wind will kill you past that. The 2" of barrel is not going to make much difference at all I vote for the 18"

My opinion here is 18" I have both a 18" SPR MK12 Mod 0 and a 20" DMR, their both rifle actions and according to my chronograph, there is less than 10fps between the two. So why carry the extra length and weight when it doesn't make any noticeable difference? I shoot my SPR out to 650 all the time, and true it doesn't hit like a 308, but it consistently and continuously hits my 8" gong, and I know I wouldn't want to get hit with it. FWIW, I have taken coyotes easily with it at 500 yards.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback, I think I have decided to go with the 18".

Rhinomax: I will not be able to use a can in Iowa
frown.gif

Thanks, Sayer

I have the 18" no complaints, but I wish I did not buy the 13.2 rail for it.
it adds too much weight
wish it just bolted on rails where you wanted. dont need 3 feet of rails

My vote is 18". My SPRmk12 mod0 does great at 600yd. Again, I don't think the extra 2 inches will give you any significant benefit over the 18" barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My vote is 18". My SPRmk12 mod0 does great at 600yd. Again, I don't think the extra 2 inches will give you any significant benefit over the 18" barrel. </div></div>
It doesn't, I also have MK12 MOD0 and it chronos about 7-9 fps less than my 20" DMR! Using Blackhills M262. They are both rifle actions, so why have the extra weight and length when less than 10 fps is the difference? There is no way that little difference will make any difference at any range.

The expected difference will be 30-40 fps per inch, or 60-80 fps between these two rifles. That works out to about a 25 yard advantage for the 20 inch, which is significant, but I would rather get the 18.

With the 18" Stealth upper you will be able to effectively engage steel plates out to 800 yds. There's not that much difference in muzzle velocity between the 18" and 20". But there is a difference in weight. "Ounces equals pounds, pounds equals pain."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The expected difference will be 30-40 fps per inch, or 60-80 fps between these two rifles. That works out to about a 25 yard advantage for the 20 inch, which is significant, but I would rather get the 18.

</div></div>
Is that a 18" mid action? My 18" rifle chronographs 7-9 fps slower than my 20". This is with M262 ammo, I have read other charts where this is about average with about 12 fps, the high side. Just wondering here.