• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Larue Ultimate Upper

ltong29

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2019
Now that Larue offers MLOK for their ultimate upper handguards, I was considering getting one with the 20" .308 barrel, which I think is an OBR barrel. Does anyone have experience with these regarding accurac, specifically, the 20" barrel? I also have been tinkering with the idea of building an upper, possibly with Craddock 20" .308 barrel.

Not a 308 but I have a Larue UU 22” 6.5CM. I’m happy. It’s a great rifle, shoots lights out with Hornady American Gunner 140gr and perfectly reliable so far for me.

Reactions: 1911hombre
Same, not a 308 but I have the UU kit in 22" 260 Rem and it has been great but accuracy is around 1-1.25moa.

Now that Larue offers MLOK for their ultimate upper handguards, I was considering getting one with the 20" .308 barrel, which I think is an OBR barrel. Does anyone have experience with these regarding accurac, specifically, the 20" barrel? I also have been tinkering with the idea of building an upper, possibly with Craddock 20" .308 barrel.
It’s OBR profile unless you select the tAR (no 20” option for that I believe) but it doesn’t have the PST.

I’ve got several LT rifles already or I’d get a UU kit.

I have a tOBR that started life as a 16” 308. It shot no BS .5” groups with 168 FGMM (the test target it came with was .44x and I was trying to beat it, never got there, best was .45), BUT it shot the 175s into also no BS 1.5-2” groups. I’m a larue fan but that was kind of annoying. I since replaced it with a 260 barrel that is a laser.

Curious about other's experience with the 6.5 CM kit as well. I'm looking to get a precision gas gun in 6.5 and this kit with the suppressor for the price is enticing.

Typically, there is quite a bit of bias on some forums regarding LaRue. That’s just how it is. Mark and I have butted heads numerous times, and he’s not exactly a fan of mine, and I have never been accused of being a LaRue fanboy. I’ve had 2 in-house LT barrels in the past, and neither met my requirements.

All of that said, I purchased the UU kit in 6.5creedmoor and while I’ve only put 45rds downrange, I’m very happy with it. It shoots factory Hornady 140eld ammo and 140eld handloads very well. I’m not sure if this is normal now with the in-house barrels or I just got lucky. I’ve got a 6.5g UU kit ordered as well. If I go 2/2 on the new barrels after my bad luck previously, I’ll be inclined to think something changed with their barrel making process.

No experience with their suppressors. I shot these with one of my 30p-1’s. They are as heavy as a suppressor as I’ll run, and the Tranquillo is considerably heavier.

6 different loads tested, with some brass that had noticeable differences in neck tension. I wanted to shoot and not prep/load more ammo, so I went with what I had.
09E6C63F-5647-4419-A830-0F50E968B870.jpeg

First try w/ Hornady 140 factory ammo.
90949FF5-4B13-4F3A-9CE7-909882C11837.jpeg
E19F94F1-A89F-4652-AA9A-D1F78BBE73DE.jpeg

Reactions: CCFRN and JS8588
I’ve owned a few larue products. An OBR, both large and small. Two predatOBR’s and a large frame UU in 6.5.
The large frame UU was the problem child. The first one I received was horrible. After assembling it the fit to the larue lower was horrible. The over all quality was pretty bad. I sent it back and they refunded me my money.

I ordered a second one, fit was better but it would not hold a group under 2”

I was pretty dissatisfied. I was told to send in the upper and they would look at it. I think they replaced the barrel and sent it back to me. (They never actually included any paperwork with the return to say what they did)

they also included a few scratches and dents that were not there before in the upper and hand guard just to add insult to injury.
This barrel shoots better, it will average about .8 with my hand load lapua 120gn scenar-l. But won’t shoot anything else worth mentioning.

Once this barrel takes a crap I will just order a new Rock Creek ar10 abd a JP bolt.

This will be my last larue product, unless some time mark comes to his senses and sells a 6.5 creedmoor predatOBR barrel cartridge finally.

Aren’t the uu kit and predatobr barrel cartridges the same?

Yeah, with the M-LOK handguard and free assembly the large frame package is really appealing.

I’m torn between configuring it as a 20” heavy barrel for accuracy or going with the 16” PredatAR for a lightweight battle rifle.

Or, of course, just order one of each.