• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Laser Engraver/Cutter

tactic-als

Jawa Reaper
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2008
PA
Laser Engraver/Cutting machine - Anyone have one or know someone who does?

-figured there wouldn't be too many but just curious

Reason I ask, I was thinking of getting one and curious what kind of $$$ there is to be made. I was reading a wood workers forum and most agreed it was just anothet tool for them to use and no real $$$ was to be had with the laser alone. This almost put me off but I started to think that the reason they say that is because they are wood workers and a laser engraver/cutter can't do the majority of what they are doing with all their other wood working tools. I still want to believe there could be real money to be made and was just curious if those who know anyone who has one is ONLY using a laser to make money or it's just another tool to compliment the array of other "tools" in their arsenal.....???

THANKS!

Last edited:
I used to have one. Were you looking for information or someone to do work?

I used to operate a universal laser at a previous job. I moonlight there occasionally. Used to do some pretty cool stuff with that machine. If I had the money I would buy one. Used it to engrave slides, custom mag lights, anodized dog tags, leather, cut plastic and wood. Very cool machine!

I used to operate a universal laser at a previous job. I moonlight there occasionally. Used to do some pretty cool stuff with that machine. If I had the money I would buy one. Used it to engrave slides, custom mag lights, anodized dog tags, leather, cut plastic and wood. Very cool machine!

Yup, not sure on my neighbors make/ model, but it does some impressive stuff. He's not a BS'er and said it cost like $10k.

As we talked about in PM, I think there IS money to be made with the laser alone. It would be more in the awards and personalization industry. Think engraved plaques, awards, nameplates, signage, etc.

In the wood cutting arena you have toys, puzzles, 3D puzzles.

You can cut heavy paper stock, so there is some use in the scrapbooking area.

All in all, it might be a tough go with 'only' the laser, but its still a very versatile tool.