• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Laser Etcher

7mmRM

Minuteman
Jul 2, 2004
Celestine, Indiana
I'm very interested in going to a laser etch system for my shop.

I've long used Acid Etch and it's been fine, but with an increase in overall work and one off chamberings. I'm getting tired of stencils and how little they last.
Not to mention the other opportunities a good Laser system provides.

Some recommendations and insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm very interested in going to a laser etch system for my shop.

I've long used Acid Etch and it's been fine, but with an increase in overall work and one off chamberings. I'm getting tired of stencils and how little they last.
Not to mention the other opportunities a good Laser system provides.

Some recommendations and insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Question, what all are you trying to stencil? just chamberings on barrel etc?

What is your budget because they can go for really cheap and terrible to more expensive and easy to work with?

I’m also looking into these. My last quote for a complete setup was north of $40k. No thanks.

This is not a recommendation, but Grizzly’s latest catalog had a laser etching machine on it. Seem to recall it was $3k. I know nothing about it, but thought it was interesting.

Question, what all are you trying to stencil? just chamberings on barrel etc?

What is your budget because they can go for really cheap and terrible to more expensive and easy to work with?
Yes, mainly chamber designation and Shop logo.

If it’s not proprietary it would be great if you guys could share $ when it’s all said and done

Thanks

None of the decent makers will be cheap.
Most of the super low cost units can't handle curves and don't have the watts to get any depth into typical gun steels.

./

Reactions: THEIS

None of the decent makers will be cheap.
Most of the super low cost units can't handle curves and don't have the watts to get any depth into typical gun steels.

./

Terry, what’s the ballpark price on this unit?

I looked into laser etching for marking barrels, it’s just too expensive for me. I’ll stick to electro etching until something somewhat cheaper comes along.

i hope it's ok to copy and past someone's contact info from their website

Charlie owns C4 Precision and he's done some incredible laser engraving for a lot of people and local companies over the years. He's a bit north of San Diego, CA.

He's always been very nice to deal with and perhaps he can help answer some questions as to which system works well...or perhaps he might even be interested in the work himself?

C4 Precision Engraving
Fallbrook, CA
760-689-2899

Anyway, hope that helps?

If this thing could actually engrave a stainless barrel, which I doubt it can, it would be ideal for a home hobbyist or small time guy.

Look at the glowforge. It's around 5k.

This is a C02 laser machine, they wouldn't touch metal (they generally etch away coatings on metal) and this particular one has a lot of pit falls and is not designed for shop/production use. Like refusing to run if the ambient air temperature is over 82F (as a friend found out the hard way)...

You generally want a fiber laser, with a rotary attachment if your doing round objects. Generally they start at around 10-15k for a low end chinese-branded machine, 30k+ for something domestic. (Don't quote me on these, just rough numbers I remember from the last time I looked at this)

Time, tooling costs, no touching off tool to set Z offset on every line. Holding required depth is a piece of cake, and I don't have to lean inside the mill constantly. Parts don't have to be masked, then cleaned afterwards either.
Just a few of the advantages I've noticed. Plus, since it runs on 110V , I could literally do it in my living room if I wanted to. I've taken it to a couple of automotive shops and engraved tools in the parking lot as well.

Last edited:
Hi,

Curious...Is there a specific reason why you all just do not machine engrave, but rather prefer laser and/or electro etching?

Sincerely,
Theis

If the engraving is small and detailed at all, the laser is much faster and at the same time gives more flexibility on available images you can accurately add to the surface. Also very handy for QR Codes and similar.

Ease of doing unique/one-of engraving is especially faster.

./

There are some 50W chinese lasers like the Raycus Fiber Laser Marking Machine for around $9K.

TYKMA has a version of the QUBE20W and 50W that is US made and supported for a few K more.

Both will handle any deep engraving you would want to do at half the price similar systems were at 3 years ago.

./