• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Laser Range Finders, suggestions?

stefan73

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 6, 2006
    CENLA
    I am looking at laser range finders and was wondering what is good?
    I plan to use it for bow and rifle shooting out to 1K would be a good distance/range.

Thanks,

Re: Laser Range Finders, suggestions?

I have the Leica Rangemaster 1600 , i think its great and will do what i think you'd like but is pretty expensive , around 800 bucks.

i got my leica lrf 1200 from cameralandny

The Leica gives good performance for the dollar.

The Vectronox PLRF is what I use when I need to get an accurate range to ANYTHING that a rangefinder can range.
    They are 4-5x the cost of the Leica, but well worth it!

MV

used LRF 1200 for 375-450, used one and it works great

for the under 1k i like the leica 1200 and the bushnell bino lrf . for the under 500.00 i like most of nikons lrfs

Swaro 8x30
    Swarovski_LRF.jpg

Bushnell Fusion 1600 is perfect for bow and rifle combo.

I'm currently running the Leica 1600 from Camerland, happy with it so far. Either this or the Swaro would make you very happy.

Get the best piece you can afford.
    My vote for a mid-range rangefinder is the Swarowski like doorkicker said.
    The only times I have had issues with it are in foggy or heavy snow conditions.
    The glass is excellent, and it doubles as a 8x30 monocular.
    The design is as impact-proof as one can expect from such a device, and the next step up would imho be way more expensive devices intended for professional civilian or military use.

The drawback I have found with this unit is that the reticle is relatively large making it difficult to focus on small targets at long ranges (1000yds +), however under normal conditions one would most likely use a tripod when ranging these objects as it would be difficult to hold it that steady anyway, and a tripod makes it easier to center the ring on the target.

Anyway, I have tried less expensive models as well and they do not stand up to this one by a long shot.
    The step up from 500 to the 950 or so USD is imho money well spent, your choice is up to your own wallet and needs.

John - out

Another tag for the Leica 1600 from Camerland, its a nice piece.

I have had my Leica 1200 for around 5-7 years now, and it still works great. I can't remember how long I have really had it, but it was so long ago that all I know is it was purchased prior to an Elk hunt where I had to travel long distance, and that was many years ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Swaro 8x30
    Swarovski_LRF.jpg
    </div></div>

What pouch is that for the Swaro?

I have a Leupold RX 1000 I use as a crossover for rifle and bow.

I like the Leicas too, but I know of some problems with the CRF 1200. Know of one that is going back for its second time. Not to good for a bowhunter if it wont read anything under 50-60 yards.

Twice ive had the RX-1000 and comparable CRF in hand at the same time in the field and I have yet to find a target (in the prescribed range for said rangefinders) that the Leica would read that the Leupold wouldn't or vice versa. My only gripe with the Leupold is its cold blooded. Need to keep it inside a jacket when its much colder than 10-15 degrees. My old "cheap" Bushnell could lay on a snowbank in sub zero temps for half an hour and still work.

I like Leicas, I just dont think they're several hundred dollars better than a comparable Leupold.

One thing I would recommend, if to be used for hunting, make SURE you get one with an OLED display. Great to have for low light.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Swaro 8x30
    Swarovski_LRF.jpg
    </div></div>

What pouch is that for the Swaro? </div></div>

That there is a TAC READY LRF Case.. The toughest LRF case made. Exclusively sold here:
    http://www.riflesonly.com/pro-shop/tac-ready-gear.html

Best,
    David

Bushnell Fusion has worked well for me.

Have not had them for that long as they arent even that old a model, however time will tell.

Value for money they are hard to beat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TAC READY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Swaro 8x30
    Swarovski_LRF.jpg
    </div></div>

What pouch is that for the Swaro? </div></div>

That there is a TAC READY LRF Case.. The toughest LRF case made. Exclusively sold here:
    http://www.riflesonly.com/pro-shop/tac-ready-gear.html

Best,
    David
    </div></div>
    Double 10 round AI mags from grand river tactical work perfect too

I like my Leica Geovid. But there are definitely cheaper options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like my Leica Geovid. But there are definitely cheaper options.</div></div> Geovids are the shit

the elite 1500 is a solid unit, my only gripe would be the display is pretty much not visible at night.

Well I picked up a Leica CRF 1600.

When I get some time I'll run around and see how far I can range with it. So far around the house I'm only pulling around 330 yards.

I also have the elite 1500 I like it alot I get good range readings without problems. Not bad for the price and performance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Swaro 8x30
    Swarovski_LRF.jpg
    </div></div>

+1

My Swarovski Laser Guide 8x30 has been outstanding under all conditions and worth every penny.

Doorkicker, do you know the part numbers for the lens covers you used on your laser guide??

not to step on anyones toes , but i would do a little research before buying a swaro . both of mine were less than stellar . swaro customer service is great , but that doesn help when your in a match or BFE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snape315</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Swaro 8x30
    Swarovski_LRF.jpg
    </div></div>

+1

My Swarovski Laser Guide 8x30 has been outstanding under all conditions and worth every penny.

</div></div>

I have a nikon gold that works very well. Though the farthest ive ranged anything was around 900 so far

As some one just entering this sport, I opted for the Elite 1500. Certainly not the best rated, but not the worst.

Price was a large determining factor and to me, at least, it seemed like that was the point of diminishing returns factoring I probably won't be able to shoot out past the usable range of the Elite 1500 anyways.

It works as well was all the reviews out there have reported and performs respectively with it's price point.

Of course one of these days I would like to own a Swarovski...

No love for the Zeiss unit? I've heard things (as in, compares very favorably with the Swaro)... maybe just a bit too new to be in many hands.

I got the swarovski.

In full sunlight (early evening) I can get 1990y 100% of the time, but when I range something just further, I get Err, which I guess means 'buy a plrf'

Best money I ever spent.

I've got the Zeiss Victory LRF Mono. Solid performer out to 1100 yds for me. Bright optics, good FOV, quick reading, easy to use reticle. In terms of pure ranging functionality, I believe the Zeiss and Swaros are great units. Scott at LibertyOptics has good prices on the Zeiss.

I think it depends on your application. There are some times/matches when I would still rather have a bino/LRF combo. I would love a set of Geovids or Zeiss Victory Binos/LRF but not ready to spend the money. The Bushnell Fusion is tempting -- the blue tint lens coating makes me hesitate (at least when I've looked at them inside -- I know, not optimal). For target locating and spotting for other shooters it's nice to have decent binos. With the mono LRFs, I'm carrying two optics.

Pretty impressive video, measuring bushes and trees up to 1700 meters with Bushnell Fusion 1600. Thats around 1900yds.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drn2NCvcJMo

Any idea how far it will measure torso-sized paper targets?
    From what I have red, seems that Swaro monocular is same or bit better. Right?

+1
    Swarovski_LRF.jpg
    </div></div>

For under $500 you can't beat the Bushnell elite 1500. I routinely hit evergreen trees with it out to 1100. I've hit a pick-up truck with it at 1384, it's really nice for the money.

I actualy picked up a Leica 1600 CRF. The first one I had would not range past 450 yards. I sent it back to Leica and they replaced it.
    I have only used the new 1600CRF a couple of times and so far the farthest thing I have ranged was 919 yards (it is obviously working).
    I'm happy with my new Leica.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking at laser range finders and was wondering what is good?
    I plan to use it for bow and rifle shooting out to 1K would be a good distance/range.

Thanks,</div></div>

i have a bushnell 1500 ARC in real tree camo that i used for 3 months before getting a deal on a lica.... im selling for 350 shipped

You may wish to modify that post before the crew jumps on you for violation of rules. Read the rules before you get banned

I have the zeiss Victory 8x26 T* PRF. I don't have any experience with other models but the zeiss are very quick to give readings, even beyond 1000 yds. Clear glass, too. I really like them.

I just bought a Swaro 8x30, and am very pleased. I got it from a fellow hide member, for 750.00. A super deal, and can't wait to strech it out in the field. It will match my spotter to a T. JPG

+1 for the Swaros - excellent glass, and when I had a problem they were replaced rather than have me wait for a repair.