• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Laser Range Finders

buyobuyo

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2010
Camden, AR
I'm in the market for a laser range finder, and I was wondering what you all would recommend that can be had for at or below the $500-700 price range.

It's primary use will be hunting, so I would like one at calculates the angular compensation because I hunt in the NM mountains. I would also like it to have an useful range out to 1000 yards for use at the range.

I've done a little research online and see that Bushnell, Nickon, and Leupold offer models that give distance based upon angle. Also, the Leica CRF 1600 calculate hold over based upon preset trajectories. However, I can't find the trajectories on their site, so I'm not sure if they will work because I shoot cast out of my hunting rifle.

Thanks.

Re: Laser Range Finders

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for 750ish you can find a used swarovski. </div></div>

Or he can buy a brand spakin' <span style="font-style: italic">new</span> pair of Bushnell Fusion 1600's and get a superior LRF as well as a nice pair of binos in a single device. Only unknown is long term reliability because so far in my heads up test the Fusions are every bit as good as the Swaro you're talking about and even better as a LRF in some ways... not to mention you only need to carry one device instead of two. I'm telling you, if you are in the market for a LRF check out the 1600's and PM Scott @ Liberty Optics for the best pricing and killer customer service. You will NOT be disappointed. I know I'm not.

Go with bushnells new bino range finder, run about 800, but worth it. Does ranging in meters and yards along with inclination.

I own a Swaro range finder and we compared it to Jer's new Bushnell fusion combo unit. The Bushnell range finder showed distances identical to the Swaro and at long distance could pick up a steel target without a tripod where the Swaro could not. The binos glass is a little blue tinted but overall the Fusion is a heck of a unit and I would recommend it over the Swaro, especially considering the Bushnell price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SS8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with bushnells new bino range finder, run about 800, but worth it. Does ranging in meters and yards along with inclination. </div></div>

+1 on a great product.

Otherwise the Leica, Zeiss, Bushnell brand handheld LRF's are good little units.

I have a Nikon Monarch 1200. It will range the side of a trailer at 1200 yards. It will range a cow out to 650 yards. It will range a 20" circular white steel plate out to 650 yards. It goes for about $400. Not bad for the money.

I have had the Leica 1200 LRF, Swaro Laserguide, Leica Geovid Binos(non-HD) and currently have the Leica 1600 CRF. The Geovids were hands-down the best of the 4 due to the incredible glass on the binoculars. I got the farthest readings on the Swaro, but I never was able to do any side-by-side testing with any of them, as I haven't owned more than one at a time. I got repeatable measurements of 1782 yards on the side of a house on a perfectly clear day with the Swaro.

I just got the Leica 1600 a couple of weeks ago and so far am very happy with it. Have ranged to 1450 with it pretty easily, but have not had any opportunity to play with the advanced features on it yet. For the price and features, I think I might like it the best of them all so far. The size is great - without the case I can drop it in just about any pocket. Not sure yet if it will range as far as the Swaro, but it's at least pretty darn close.

Have not seen the Bushnell unit yet, but I'd like to check them out - they sound pretty solid. For me personally, I prefer the smaller size of a non-binocular LRF, but if that's not a concern for you, the Bushnell might be tough to beat.

Good luck,
Erik

Erud has a point.

I like my LRF Binos, but would also like to have a small pocket sized LRF for situations where I would like to range but not carry the bulk of a set of binos with me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Erud has a point.

I like my LRF Binos, but would also like to have a small pocket sized LRF for situations where I would like to range but not carry the bulk of a set of binos with me.

</div></div>

In that capacity the Leicas prevail.

I have compared Leica and Zeiss binocular rangefinders side by side in the field and the Ziess is much faster and superior to the Leica.

Thanks for all the replies so far. From your suggestions and online reviews, I think I've narrowed it down either the Bushnell or Zeiss. I think I would prefer the Zeiss more because it will be primarily used while hunting, so the smaller size and light weight are preferable.

I'm looking around for the best price right now and watching a pair of each on Ebay. I'll look into contacting Liberty Optics to see what kind of pricing they can do.

Thanks again.

For under $500, I think the Nikon Monarch 800 is a fine rangefinder: especially for hunting where realistic ranges will be below 500 yards. I just bought a camo version for $290.

Thanks again to everyone for the recommendations and comments. A Zeiss is on its way from Liberty Optics. It should be here Saturday (Friday if USPS hustles).

I use the swaro, coudln't be happier. I can range houses on most days out to 1600 yards... With such a compact design, I couldn't complain.

Good stuff guys, i just sold the pair of the Leupold RXB IV range finding binos i had and in the market for some new one. The ones i had worked ok, but where not very ergonomic. The glass seemed to be better then average aswell. All in all i was not impressed with them coming from leupold.

I have a Leica 1200 that I think is great. Glass is clear and it really does range out to 1200 yds. We just got a few Leupolds RX-1000 TBRs. I like the angle functions and MOA hold overs. I tested it and the angles and "True Ballistic Range" is dead on. My only complaint is the screen is very busy and i would like the reticle a little brighter but I think I can bump it up if I only read the instructions.

Question to all and any:
I know about the limitations of the Leica 1600 CRF only showing "holdover" vice corrected distance which is pretty much useless for me. I think the Bushnell 1600 ARC also has a limitation for corrected distance of about 100 yards and then it moves into a "holdover" mode (if I understand the literature).
Bottom line for me is "Is there a 1000 yd plus unit that will give me a corrected distance based on angle or at least tell me what the angle is so that I can apply the correct cosine to arrive at my own corrected distance? I have read these forums till my eyes are ready to fall out hoping that I discover the truth. Me fear is that I won't be happy with the truth;, but I gotta know.
Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macdaddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question to all and any:
I know about the limitations of the Leica 1600 CRF only showing "holdover" vice corrected distance which is pretty much useless for me. I think the Bushnell 1600 ARC also has a limitation for corrected distance of about 100 yards and then it moves into a "holdover" mode (if I understand the literature).
Bottom line for me is "Is there a 1000 yd plus unit that will give me a corrected distance based on angle or at least tell me what the angle is so that I can apply the correct cosine to arrive at my own corrected distance? I have read these forums till my eyes are ready to fall out hoping that I discover the truth. Me fear is that I won't be happy with the truth;, but I gotta know.
Thanks
</div></div>

The Fusion 1600 will give you straight line measurement of actual distance and then right under that figure it shows angle to target in degrees. Example: 936yds +1deg would tell you the actual distance plus the fact that it's 1 degree uphill.

Jer,

Thanks for that. I just checked their website and you're absolutely correct. Do you or anyone else know if there is just a straight rangefiner (without binos) that will accomplish this same task? I already have a pair of Zeiss and Swaro binos which I love and hate to replace them but I will if I have too I guess.
Sure wish Leica had put a little more thought into their CRF 1600.
Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macdaddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jer,

Thanks for that. I just checked their website and you're absolutely correct. Do you or anyone else know if there is just a straight rangefiner (without binos) that will accomplish this same task? I already have a pair of Zeiss and Swaro binos which I love and hate to replace them but I will if I have too I guess.
Sure wish Leica had put a little more thought into their CRF 1600.
Thanks </div></div>

Bushnell makes just a range finder and it may have angle as well. It's camouflage (real tree look?) and there's a member selling them in the for sale section because he has a few new ones. I don't know much more about LRF than the Bushnell Fusion 1600 which I own and the Swarovski which I've used. I know they don't give you any sort of elevation.

As far as the Leica 1600, I thinking the hold over ballistic option only works when you setup that program option otherwise it’s a standard range finder. Anyways I haven’t enabled mine yet

And as far as distance I am hitting treelines beyond 1000 yards with no problems and doing fine at ranging cattle at that distance as well as more reflective buildings in the 1600 to 1700 yard range. I will let you folks know more as I get more time with it.

So far I like the 1600 it seems fast and pin point for ranging,resulting in less ranging of targets past the point of interest.

The Lecia 1600 is a great unit. I sat in the treestand tonight at was ranging round bales at 1700 yards. Trees at 1450. I range a house at 1978 yards. I don't know how much better it can get for the money. I owned a pair of Swaros and sold them. The Lecias fit in the pocket and do the same job. I have had them both.

I am in the market for a new LRF as well, and DO NOT want a big heavy bino to do it.

I had a pair of Leicas that did both, and they were good, but too big most of the time. I want something no bigger than the Swaro's but would prefer the Leica 1600 size.

I want to be able to range 45% IPSC sized targets out to 1K and deer to 650-700, easily and reliably. I have had the Zeiss, the Leica 1200LRF and the Leica combo bino/LRF combo and gotten rid of them all for one reason or another. I have also used the Swaro and liked everything except the big reticle.

Can anyone confirm if the the new Leica 1600 will accomplish my needs mentioned above?

Hydro

I was able to range an Angus beef at 904 yards, fairly quick and repetitive with the Leicas 1600 today – the conditions were a clear sunny day

If this helps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot.onehit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hydro

I was able to range an Angus beef at 904 yards, fairly quick and repetitive with the Leicas 1600 today – the conditions were a clear sunny day

If this helps
</div></div>

That does help, assuming that seems to be the typical results you are getting as opposed to a one time deal. Does that seem consistent to you? How long have you been using it? Would you say that in decent conditions ranging a cow consistently at 800+ is to be expected?

If so, I would order one today. I like Leica, and love the small size. Just want to be able to hit steel at 800+ easily and deer at 6-700. That is all I need.

Hydro

Mines fairly new, I have ran it through ranging checks in overcast and sunny days so far, no complaints I will try it on a few deer this week in my travels as well as cattle again and let you know.

I’m glad I waited so long for mine to show up, that I will say without any regrets – they are new so that was part of the problem with the long wait – but that I expected.

A few from this evening

Just a few I ranged

Beef at 1004
Buildings at 1780
Whitetails in an alfalfa field at 653 to 748 rechecked for consistency in ranging - results good, they were moving around some so the range would vary a few yards once in a while
I couldn’t find any deer farther before it was getting to dark

There you are

The Leica CRF gets my vote, I have had mine for awhile now and for under distances under 1k I have found it to be quite accurate. You can find them used for under 400 at times. I wish it had a bigger Field of view and 8 power instead of 7 but other than that I'm happy.

BTW mine is the 1200 not the 1600 which sounds like a better fit for you with ballistic software, barometric pressure, angle of incline and temperature displays