• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

last new high power rifle

acts238

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2011
N W Montana
Im gonna buy what will most likely be my last new rifle,
the caliber will be 300 Win mag
Ive narrowed it down to either a 5R or a 70 super grade, I cant really afford a custom but option 3
is rebarel the 700 I allready have, & add a decent stock
which will cost about 500.00 to 1000.00 more than the 2 rifles listed
I will use it mostly for hunting,
but I have recently got into reloading & LRS,
any thoughts - appreciated
Im gonna use just one Rifle from now on,
all my other high power rifles have been or will be sold

Re: last new rifle

Sounds like a nice endeavor, but what about bunnies, prairie dogs and Yotes? A 300WM would send a prairie dog into hyperspace.

That's what they all say.... Good luck

I'm sure not making light of your post, but .... good luck with that!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roggom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a nice endeavor, but what about bunnies, prairie dogs and Yotes? A 300WM would send a prairie dog into hyperspace. </div></div>

Depends how far you are....

Ive seen prairie dogs shot with larger calibers then that.

just because 90% the hunting Ive done has been with a 300wm, Im not including 22's
I have some old 22's that Id never part with
that I still hunt birds with,
& a couple scatter guns, that ill probably never use,
but Im very limited on shooting hunting time,
& I want to become proficent with only one high power rifle, Im gonna concentrate on 1rifle 1 load at all ranges,
& also money is a factor good glass aint cheap
& older i get more my eyes need good glass
so for many reasons, cash, eyesight,limited time,
Im going to one 300 WM Rifle hope this clarifys
, thanks for all the responces,
any of you happen to know muzzle diam of 70supergrade in300wm? cant find any specs & I want a heavier barrel,
that may be deciding factor between 5r 7 70SG

Originally Posted By: roggomSounds like a nice endeavor, but what about bunnies, prairie dogs and Yotes? A 300WM would send a prairie dog into hyperspace.

I frequently shoot grouse with my 300 while hunting, just the head, the rest is still good,

Why a 300?
familar with, have a lot of brass , dies, ect,I know some other calibers have better bc, some have more power, but 300wm is right size for game where I hunt, & it doubles well for LRS
I guess thare are many others that fit that description as well,
so i guess the real reason is I just like the round,
allways have, I dont mind - notice the recoil,
& I love the way I find deer laying right where I last saw em my boys love the '06 in a pencil thin mountian gun
my hunting buddy hunts w a 280 rem
& hes always singing its praises light recoil, high bc, Im glad he likes it
everyone should have a favorite- mines 300WM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roggom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a nice endeavor, but what about bunnies, prairie dogs and Yotes? A 300WM would send a prairie dog into hyperspace. </div></div>

Dead is dead!! Who cares if it turns them into a mist of red, always funny.

I was just tryin to be funny, I shoot them with a 223, 308 and 7.62x54R. Nothing like watching them go poof. Just seems close to impossible to have just one rifle.

roggom your probably right it really does
Just seems close to impossible to have just one rifle.

I have not shot the 5r in 300wm but if it shoots as good as the 5r 308 don't think you can go wrong.

If you shoot it much you're probably gonna have to re-barrel that thing once a year......

Your plan is unsound.

Generally speaking, long range precision rifles are very different than hunting rigs.

LR rifles are big and bulky while hunting rifles tend to be light and portable. Different stock designs. LR stocks are closer to benchrest stocks than they are to hunting stocks (think McMillan A5 vs. McMillan Hunter's Edge).

LR rifles have heavy barrels so you can shoot multiple shots without poi shift. Hunting rifles have light barrels to make them easier to heft as poi shift isn't a factor when at most you are shooting 2-3 rounds (and usually just 1).

LR rifles have heavier scopes, more magnification, more options which make the scope havier and are not necessary on a hunting rig. They also generally have bulkier mounts and rings as well vs lightweight mounts on a hunting rig.

Sure you could use a hunting rifle for LR shooting, or a LR precision rifle for hunting, but neither is really well suited for the other. If you want to lug around a bulky pig of a 300wm (like a 5R) in the woods then that is your perogative. You won't enjoy it.

The two rifles you listed, a 5R and a Win Supergrade, other than being bolt actions in 300 wm, are night and day apart. Not even close to similar rifles. Do youself a favor; if the rifle is for primarily hunting uses get a hunting rifle. If you decide to get into LR precision shooting get a LR precision rifle.

And 300 win mag is way overkill unless you are gunning for Elk/Moose/Bear, not to mention expensive to reload for and likely uncomfortable to shoot. There are much better choices for hunting calibers. Better choices for LR shooting as well.

Zanshin, you say that a 300 is over kill unless hunting for elk, moose or bear. Did you happen to notice where the OP resides? Elk, moose, bear, and large large dear may be all this man hunts.

Zanshin
you are right 5r & 70 SG are diff, but consider this
out here we hunt diff, we scout 3-4 weeks prior find drainage elk are using which may consist of multiple ridges w multible finger ridges
that can all be seen- shot from one vantage point,
& a heavy Rifle is not an issue to most mtn people
especally those who spot & stalk,
the main concern for me is the price of quality optics that my eyes require at my age combined w the cost of a accurate rifle x how ever many rifles I shoot, truth is Ill probably keep my 308, & an old 70 '06
but I doubt if Ill ever be able to top them with same Quality glass as my 300 which pretty much makes them wallhangers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the real reason is I just like the round</div></div>

That's a good of answer as I've seen on picking a caliber.

I was leaning towards the 5 R anyway because I count find any specs on the 70 SG so I called & talked to Winchester to ask for some specs , & didnt even get past muzzle diam, seems its all classified propriatory information cause, gun fanatics can use that kind of info to make suppresors,I wonder if he really meant to say I have know Idea, any way I went w the 5R, after speaking to Big Greens best saleman at Winchester

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Willoughby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Zanshin
you are right 5r & 70 SG are diff, but consider this
out here we hunt diff, we scout 3-4 weeks prior find drainage elk are using which may consist of multiple ridges w multible finger ridges
that can all be seen- shot from one vantage point,
& a heavy Rifle is not an issue to most mtn people
especally those who spot & stalk,
the main concern for me is the price of quality optics that my eyes require at my age combined w the cost of a accurate rifle x how ever many rifles I shoot, truth is Ill probably keep my 308, & an old 70 '06
but I doubt if Ill ever be able to top them with same Quality glass as my 300 which pretty much makes them wallhangers
</div></div>

I stand corrected. If you are hunting Elk and larger animals from stationary positions have at it with the 300wm. I live in the east where the elk do not roam. I would keep those other rifles though, or at least one of the two; prob the 308 since it is further away from the 300wm and alot cheaper to reload for than 300wm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zanshin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your plan is unsound.

Generally speaking, long range precision rifles are very different than hunting rigs.

LR rifles are big and bulky while hunting rifles tend to be light and portable. Different stock designs. LR stocks are closer to benchrest stocks than they are to hunting stocks (think McMillan A5 vs. McMillan Hunter's Edge).

LR rifles have heavy barrels so you can shoot multiple shots without poi shift. Hunting rifles have light barrels to make them easier to heft as poi shift isn't a factor when at most you are shooting 2-3 rounds (and usually just 1).

LR rifles have heavier scopes, more magnification, more options which make the scope havier and are not necessary on a hunting rig. They also generally have bulkier mounts and rings as well vs lightweight mounts on a hunting rig.

Sure you could use a hunting rifle for LR shooting, or a LR precision rifle for hunting, but neither is really well suited for the other. If you want to lug around a bulky pig of a 300wm (like a 5R) in the woods then that is your perogative. You won't enjoy it.

The two rifles you listed, a 5R and a Win Supergrade, other than being bolt actions in 300 wm, are night and day apart. Not even close to similar rifles. Do youself a favor; if the rifle is for primarily hunting uses get a hunting rifle. If you decide to get into LR precision shooting get a LR precision rifle.

And 300 win mag is way overkill unless you are gunning for Elk/Moose/Bear, not to mention expensive to reload for and likely uncomfortable to shoot. There are much better choices for hunting calibers. Better choices for LR shooting as well. </div></div>

Couldn't disagree more, it's perfectly sound plan, used by many of us. I have 5 rifles, the lightest one is probably 11 lbs, the heaviest is 19, all of them have been hauled around through the mountains chasing game. The qualities you've mentioned that make a good precision rifle also make them great for hunting, The Tacticle style rifle has evolved from "hunting rifles" to engage the deadliest and most difficult game of all, the two legged rascally type. I've killed 20+ big game animals with 11-18lbs rifles and never regretted my "bulky pig" for a minute, but I did enjoy every one of those minutes.

To the OP, I respect your choice to go with just one. I could never do it, the house and cars would go first
laugh.gif
The 300WM is a fine choice, and I wish you luck in your search for the perfect One Gun.

Sir,

I would offer this option, send the 700 you have now to Hart and get it done in a # 5 1/2 contour. http://www.hartbarrels.com/tapers.php you are looking at $650 + shipping to and from. http://www.hartbarrels.com/rebarreling.php

Then a stock, I would roll with a Manners MCS-T http://mannerstocks.com/hunting/ and you would be almost set. As far as a optic goes, honestly, magnification does not help much, I think a IOR fixed 6x with a MP-8 reticle would do EVERYTHING you would want to do out to 800yds for a general purpose rifle.

IF not, then a 2.5-10 range would be a good second option.

I would also look for a great two piece base, and aluminum rings to lighten up the load some.

Some ideas.

John

Re: last new high power rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im gonna buy what will most likely be my last new rifle,
</div></div>

Not doubting you brother, but how many times have <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">I</span></span></span> said that to myself?
grin.gif
You're more disciplined than me if you can live it.

Your plan is unsound.

<span style="color: #3366FF">Your plan is sound.</span>

Generally speaking, long range precision rifles are very different than hunting rigs. LR rifles are big and bulky while hunting rifles tend to be light and portable. Different stock designs.

<span style="color: #3333FF">He can build a long range precision hunting rifle without regard to what he terms it.
</span>
LR stocks are closer to benchrest stocks than they are to hunting stocks (think McMillan A5 vs. McMillan Hunter's Edge).

<span style="color: #3333FF">A Mac HTG will serve both roles. The butt can be fitted with an adjustable plate.</span>

<span style="color: #3333FF">And?</span>

<span style="color: #3333FF">There is no weight limit gestapo for hunting rifles. If he wants to pack a 20# rig he's a big boy.
</span>

<span style="color: #3333FF">How do you know? Maybe he's into self-flagellation</span>

<span style="color: #3333FF">He could build a switch-stock rig or many variations.</span>

And 300 win mag is way overkill unless you are gunning for Elk/Moose/Bear, not to mention expensive to reload for and likely uncomfortable to shoot. There are much better choices for hunting calibers. Better choices for LR shooting as well.
<span style="color: #3333FF">Perhaps, perhaps not. That depends on bullet and load. He might choose a twist rate that is conducive to medium to light bullets, or should he choose, he might also have a heavy bullet barrel. An 11" twist 308 caliber barrel is versatile.</span>

Would a Remington 700 SPS Varmint Stainless & fluted be a suitable multi purpose rifle in .300 Win Mag? Just throw away the stock and replace with a HS Precision or Mcmillan HTG.

Just my suggestion to consider & Perhaps cheaper than a 5R.

Unless of course the 5R is exactly what you want, in that case sorry.

I would offer this option, send the 700 you have now to Hart and get it done in a # 5 1/2 contour. http://www.hartbarrels.com/tapers.php you are looking at $650 + shipping to and from. http://www.hartbarrels.com/rebarreling.php
this is a great suggestion & I havent ordered a 5r yet,..
I may still go this route, but either way
this will be my last rifle
but because of the caliber not my last barrel
the stock & trigger that come w 5r's would have to be replaced for my use anyway, dont like palm swell, or xmark
so this rebarrel & restock is starting to look cheaper all the time