• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos last nights moon...

96C

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 9, 2007
    Aust
    Taken through my bushnell 45x spotter, the moon was enormous. i had to dull it down slightly to get more detail because of the glare. an amazing view.

it was much crisper by eye of course, a pity my camera couldn't capture it very well. olympus utough, not built for fancyness.

enjoy
    smile.gif

Re: last nights moon...

Using the Mil Relation formula, I am estimating 422,400,000 yards.

That reddish star that was next to the Moon was Mars.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim8654</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Using the Mil Relation formula, I am estimating 422,400,000 yards. </div></div>
    Crap. Beat me to it.

don't forget Lunar Drift as well, should be a very easy shot at that angle

Dude dial that windage and elevation quit holding!!!

Make sure you hold off on a few extra hundreds Mil just to be sure. LOL

Assuming you could shoot the moon, would you only have to dial dope the distance until the bullet leaves the atmosphere accounting for the shot angle and figure out the spin of the earth and the rotation of the moon in relation?

Oh don't forget the coriolis effect. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you could fire..... then wait a week for your splash mark
    wink.gif
    </div></div>

Aint gonna be the sea of tranquility much longer
    grin.gif

Nothing like a Wolf Moon (first full moon of the year). Nice photo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to wonder just how much MOA it would take and what round could actually score a hit on that </div></div>

That'll keep you busy for a couple weekends!
    Maybe a 5" naval gun shooting rocket propelled sabot rounds vertically?
    laugh.gif

Thanks guys, within 5 minutes of taking the pic it was here for you fellas.

My scope does not have <span style="font-size: 17pt">THAT</span> much elevation

Gona be tough to dial that one…

Although.....Counter Sniper might be the ticket and the uber special .499 might gut get you there.

We had the brightest moon last nite here in Tennessee too. Would have been a perfect nite for predator hunting. With the 7inches of snow we had it was even that much brighter.

Lessee, escape velocity of 17,500 mph translates into a muzzle velocity a little over 25,500 fps. I thinking a 220 Swift or 22-250 with a 40 grainer might get you there
    laugh.gif

.50 BMG necked down to .17 HMR?
    laugh.gif

bags not firing it...

I'm in the southern hemisphere, it's the right way up. I didn't rotate it, just resized, cropped and darkened slightly.

Bad news about the moon re-landing being cut, I was hoping they'd visit the moon rover vehicle and see if it still ran.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm in the southern hemisphere, it's the right way up. I didn't rotate it, just resized, cropped and darkened slightly.

Bad news about the moon re-landing being cut, I was hoping they'd visit the moon rover vehicle and see if it still ran.</div></div>

Well that will do it. Up here in the Northern Hemisphere we see it 180 degrees out for you guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.50 BMG necked down to .17 HMR?
    laugh.gif

bags not firing it... </div></div>

Local gunsmith has a dummy cartridge of this. Yeah, I wouldn't touch it off. 250 grains of H1000 going through a 17 caliber opening... I think that's what the Large Hadron Collider is made for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: waynea_91</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you wanted to hit the man in the moon, is this the proper POA? Cool picture also. </div></div>

I'm no rocket scientist, but I'm pretty sure that POA will not work the lead is in the wrong direction! LOL Oh yeah and an increase in angle will cause POI to rise, but I'm farely certain that mil hold will not get you far enough either! Just a guess! And yes I seriously just wrote a paragraph on a completely worthless topic of conversation. WTF

Hahahahahahahahahah that's great! WTF dude!!!??

You guys worried about dialing the elevation crack me up, the lead is gonna be the bitch to figure out!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim8654</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Using the Mil Relation formula, I am estimating 422,400,000 yards. </div></div>

lol

I got around 422,450,000 yards.

wink.gif

i think you need to hold under the target a little sense it's so close..