• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Late model Remington 597??

TresMon

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2007
NW USA
I was told that -late model(!)- Remmy 597's have been perfected. Never jam and damn accurate. I tried running this rumor through Snopes but it returned nothing....

What do yunzes say?

Re: Late model Remington 597??

Stock 597's are very accurate guns, way more so than 10/22's.

One of the first things you should do when you get the rifle is change out the extractor to a Volquartsen, and maybe the hammer if you want a 2.5-3lb trigger instead of the 7lb trigger it comes with.

the second thing you should do is take the barreled action out of the stock, you will see 2 set screws on the back of the action, these hold the guide rods that the bolt slides on in place, make sure these set screws are not tight! you want to tighten them in till they touch the rods, then back the off 1/4 turn.

whith those things done, you will have one hell of a sweet shooting rifle that cost you less than $300.

Thanks USMCj.
You have any groups size results??

Anybody else have have commentary?

I heard the feeding issue was due to the mags. I had one until I thought I was a top notch gun plumber. I took the barrel off and when I went back to put it on I cracked the action
cry.gif
thats the last time I didn't use a torque wrench. I had just purchased the new mags and never got to try them out. It was a shooter before that except CCI stingers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thanks USMCj.
You have any groups size results??

Anybody else have have commentary? </div></div>

my rifle would be a poor example of a stock 597 becauce it is anything but stock. Mine shoots lights out but the only thing that is stock on it is the action and the bolt.

DSC04735.jpg

DSC04736.jpg

here are the specs for m gun

Rem597
Volquartsen bull barrel
Volquartsen extractor
Jard complete billet trigger housing with 1 pound match trigger
Boyds laminate stock
Rem scope base
Tasco scope

1st 5 shot group @ 50yds
IMG_0099.jpg

a 10 shot group @ 50yds
IMG_0097.jpg

then 2nd 5 shot group @ 50yds
IMG_0098.jpg

These groups were shot with the factory 3.5lb trigger, I had not shot any groups after getting the 1lb Jard trigger, so I assume they will be better.

I love my 597 shoots 3" plates all day long at 100y bone stock. even has the crappy scope that came on it. I love it to death. If I have a good scope and good position I am pretty confident that I could kick out 2" at 100y. I got mine in late 08 and never had a problem with it.

USMCJ,

Kust curious- as far as the aftermarket following- it it still more economical than a 10/22?

Well, Im not sure, but once you upgrade it like me, it should kick just about any 10/22's ass because the 597 design is inherently more accurate than the 10/22 ever could be. No barrel droop, and the bolt rides on 2 guide rods so its always true to the bore axis.

you are limited on aftermarket parts however, unlike 10/22's there arent 100 barrel makers to chose from.

Barrel- Jarvis $200 and Volquartsen $360 are your only choices, VQ makes special barrel runs for the 597, or you can call and they will make one for you as a special order, expect to pay a premium. But the Jarvis barrel is just as good I hear.

http://www.jarvis-custom.com/Products/tabid/53/ctl/ProductDetail/productId/23/mid/388/Default.aspx

Trigger- Jard is the only game in town for the 597. You can either get a complete billet trigger housing model, or just the drop in trigger and use the stock housing. Either way, its a great trigger and worth the money to get the complete housing.

Complete housing $250 http://www.jardinc.com/index.php?op...d=6:597-trigger-assembly&catid=2:597&Itemid=4

Drop in trigger only $165 http://www.jardinc.com/index.php?op...cle&id=5:597-trigger-kit&catid=2:597&Itemid=4

as for stocks, Boyds makes different ones from $79 to $150, so you have some options there.

Oh and dont forget the Volquartsen extractor, best $20 you will ever spend.

So you are looking at about $700-$800 for a fully pimped out 597, including the price of the rifle.

Hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, Im not sure, but once you upgrade it like me, it should kick just about any 10/22's ass because the 597 design is inherently more accurate than the 10/22 ever could be. No barrel droop, and the bolt rides on 2 guide rods so its always true to the bore axis.

you are limited on aftermarket parts however, unlike 10/22's there arent 100 barrel makers to chose from.

Barrel- Jarvis $200 and Volquartsen $360 are your only choices, VQ makes special barrel runs for the 597, or you can call and they will make one for you as a special order, expect to pay a premium. But the Jarvis barrel is just as good I hear.

http://www.jarvis-custom.com/Products/tabid/53/ctl/ProductDetail/productId/23/mid/388/Default.aspx

Trigger- Jard is the only game in town for the 597. You can either get a complete billet trigger housing model, or just the drop in trigger and use the stock housing. Either way, its a great trigger and worth the money to get the complete housing.

Complete housing $250 http://www.jardinc.com/index.php?op...d=6:597-trigger-assembly&catid=2:597&Itemid=4

Drop in trigger only $165 http://www.jardinc.com/index.php?op...cle&id=5:597-trigger-kit&catid=2:597&Itemid=4

as for stocks, Boyds makes different ones from $79 to $150, so you have some options there.

Oh and dont forget the Volquartsen extractor, best $20 you will ever spend.

So you are looking at about $700-$800 for a fully pimped out 597, including the price of the rifle.

Hope this helps.

</div></div>

I can understand a trigger but is the other stuff that worth it? or is it more of a (check this shit out) type thing. I'm no 22 expert but 2.5 MOA seems pretty good for a 22 to me.

What other stuff? barrel, stock or extractor?

Stock was worth it because I got ride of the POS plastic stock where I couldnt get the barrel to float without the forend flexing and touching again.

Barrel, I wanted a heavy profile match barrel, since Rem wont sell me one of their heavy barrels without a FFL, VQ was my only choice at the time.

Extractor, the original extractor sucks major balls, if it doesnt fly out while shooting one day, it will loose its sharp edge real fast and cause all kinds of failures.

As for the trigger and billet trigger housing, I wanted a 1lb trigger and I wanted to get ride of all the plastic parts on my rifle at the same time. Killed 2 birds with 1 stone, wouldnt you say?

So no, its not for "check this shit out" I just like to have quality parts on/in my rifles. And since I got the rifle for free, I had some room to spend money on it at the time.

List of what this rifle cost me

rifle - free
stock - $60
barrel - $340
exractor - $20
trigger group - $222
scope - free

Total $642 and it shoots lights out.

EDIT: oh and I forgot, I sold the original barrel and stock for $75 and the original trigger housing with trigger for $40 on a rimfire forum, so this rifle ended up costing me more like $527

What ammo are you guys using? My brother has a 597 and I've shot it a few times. Accurate it is not! Minute of cows ass with the few types of ammo he has purchased.

s6

For some reason, 597's love wolf MT/ME ammo. They do very well with them even with the stock skinny barrels. They do hate all remington ammo, I know, funny right?

Also might want to try CCI MiniMags. But mine really likes Wolf. the above groups were shot with Wolf ME.

Tresmon,
Look for a used Anschutz 54 and be done. You can find them in the $800 range and you don't have to do anything to them. I have not seen an Annie 54 that will not shoot bugholes at 50 yards and 1 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards. I know it is alot of money up front, but like I said, there is nothing else you need to do to one. Then there is the resale value, shoot it as long as you want and sell it for what you paid for it or even more.

I hope this helps.

Eddie

I'm happy with my 597 the way it is. I might do a new trigger later on but it shoots good enough for me.

I know I'm late to the party, never looked at one until 2 weeks ago when a coworker brought me his to fix. I keep telling everyone I'm not a gunsmith! His was missing the extractor & plunger, I ordered the parts and got him running. But since then I bought a stripped receiver, a complete rifle with a Vortex scope (16" threaded barrel & pic rail) & a complete parts kit with the factory scope. And ordered 2 more Volquartsen extractors & 2-30 round mags. Plans are for them to be for 2 grandsons!

I heard the feeding issue was due to the mags. I had one until I thought I was a top notch gun plumber. I took the barrel off and when I went back to put it on I cracked the action
cry.gif
thats the last time I didn't use a torque wrench. I had just purchased the new mags and never got to try them out. It was a shooter before that except CCI stingers.
I know this thread is old AF, but thought I'd mention, I've been seeing stripped receivers on GB, I just bought one.