• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Fieldcraft Lateral Heartbeat Movement

InTheWeeds

Sergeant
Minuteman
For some reason, I have a pretty bad lateral movement whilse shooting benchrest. I dont know if it is the table or just my rifle position. When on the bech, I typically nestle the rifle on the outside of my shoulder. I cant really get tight into my body or else when I use te monopod on my stock, it will slide off the edge of the table. I am shooting on the exhale, but I basically have to time the shot just right while my POA is moving left to right.
Could I be doing something wrong? My best groups have been in the .7xx" center to center, but I know the rifle is much better than that.
TIA

Re: Lateral Heartbeat Movement

I would ditch using the monopod and shoulder the rifle correctly. It sounds like the problem lies in the fact that you've been placing it on the outside part of your shoulder.

Establishing a natural POA should help significantly. This blog has a pretty good explanation on how to do so if you aren't aware. NPOA

I am certainly not the most educated in this subject so obviously if someone more knowledge posts defer to them. Just some suggestions/thoughts.

Is this not a parallex problem?
I could be way off here but this is how I thought it manifested.

if you can cross your arms and lay your head down on the bench to take a nap, then you should be able to use the monopod (and if the bench moves and rocks you to sleep, then that's a problem). I have no idea why the monopod is sliding off the table unless you are sitting straight up which to me is bad form. The butt should be in the pocket, not out on the "outside" of the shoulder.

I went back and figured out why I have such a bad BR position (dont know why I didnt think of it before). Each of the benches are separated by screens, to prevent brass from flying into the next lane. Since I have ape arms, there isnt enough room for me to extend my elbow out, I have to keep the rifle as close to the inside of the table as possible..

I've used the mono pod with rear bag in all positions and not experienced that kind of slide but the rifle is not "outside" my shoulder either.

Outside the shoulder may mean something different to me then you, though. Got a pic?

No pic, but usually (and im guessing here) the best place for rifle placement is between the clavicle (collar bone) and deltoid (shoulder muscle). On this bench, because of the limited space and my long reach, I have to place the stock basically in between my deltoid and bicep.