• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos latest non-gun project

bcw1284

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2008
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Here's what i've been up to lately, among other things. Should finish up the floor tomorrow and install new fixtures in the half bath that is right off the hallway. Afterwards, all the wood is comming down to be replaced with something else (have not decided yet).

The tile is natural slate in 6" & 12" sizes. The real work was demo of a brick planter box, and pouring a 6" slab of concrete... that all went on right in front of where the paneling is missing.

Old houses are such a pain.

Re: latest non-gun project

Nice work man, are you a tiler?

My brain would fry trying to comprehend a pattern other than a standard grid!

I have to re-do my whole bathroom soon... rip out the floors, walls, ceilings, everything... and start fresh

Im so dreading it
frown.gif

Any hints/tips for me considering your work looks so pro?

vman - we've just re-tiled our kitchen, utility, and family room in a similar pattern. Our tiles (4 different sizes and shapes) came with a layout schematic so that you know where to put them - would have been a real brainache trying to get it right without that!!

My tip - try and get a pro to do it!
wink.gif

I know what you mean about old houses. I try to maintain my mother in laws 70 year old farm house. Every "simple" repair is an adventure.

Im tempted to leave the iron on and go down the road and watch a movie marathon at the cinemas.

"ohhhhh whats that the house caught fire and exploded! Damnit now im going to have to pay less money than it costs me to do the work by paying insurance excess, and they are going to have to rebuild a new house for me... damn it!"

Sooooo tempted.

Basra, would love to, but tradesmen out this way bend over clients and ream them out to a new dimension. If i had the cashflow i would, but times call for on the job learning.

Thanks for the kind words. I think it looks really great.

I won't lie, i've had some pro help with choosing this layout and then actually doing it. Natural stone tiles are more labor intensive and require alot of things I didn't know about initially, and I have been looking over the pro's shoulder so I can learn this for my own use. I'd never do it professionally, it's just too much work.

I poured the 6" slab under this all alone, including making the concrete by hand, and i'm really proud of how it came out. Concrete work is a real bitch IMHO, but there is something satisfying about knowing you did it all by hand and it came out right.

I'm not done on the old house yet, i'll probably do the upstairs bath in a very similar tile later this year and that one will be all on my own, now that i've been educated on how to do it right.

Fixing up old houses will rapidly teach you how to be electrician, plumber, carpenter, painter, mason, cable guy, exterminator, roofer, and more that you never imagined.

If you read this before grouting I would suggest using a grout release or sealer prior to grouting. Save yourself alot of clean up time. Slate is porous and dries on the surface much faster than the joint. Gets into the cleft areas and a bitch to clean out. Yup I do it for a living. enjoy the pinwheel pattern

grin.gif
The wife would love that.

She been on me at least 10yrs to fix this dump up - don't think I ever will though
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the kind words. I think it looks really great.

I won't lie, i've had some pro help with choosing this layout and then actually doing it. Natural stone tiles are more labor intensive and require alot of things I didn't know about initially, and I have been looking over the pro's shoulder so I can learn this for my own use. I'd never do it professionally, it's just too much work.

I poured the 6" slab under this all alone, including making the concrete by hand, and i'm really proud of how it came out. Concrete work is a real bitch IMHO, but there is something satisfying about knowing you did it all by hand and it came out right.

I'm not done on the old house yet, i'll probably do the upstairs bath in a very similar tile later this year and that one will be all on my own, now that i've been educated on how to do it right.

Fixing up old houses will rapidly teach you how to be electrician, plumber, carpenter, painter, mason, cable guy, exterminator, roofer, and more that you never imagined. </div></div>

I am a carpenter and what i have learned is that you are better off to start at the top and work your way dowu that way the paint/stain or pieces of material that fall won't fall on the new stuff and damage it. And yes unless you are a flat work guy concrete floors are a real bitch.

Yea Grim that's awesome. Come and do my bathroom. I could also use a room addition. I have a few LBS (like 3 or 4) of powder I could give you in exchange.

Good deal! Thanks.

Weeks??? Try months! I travel a lot so I had to do the work whenever I was home so that REALLY extended how long it took. Well worth it though as it turned out great.