• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Latest wigit

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    A simple barreled action/Ceracoat job has evolved into a neat little project.

The AI AX chassis has an accessory rail mount that lugs into the top of the forward tube. This particular one has 20 minutes worth of included elevation. The owner asked if I could make a scope base that would marry up with it.

I went about it a little differently. If I gotta make the base, why not just integrate the whole thing into one piece? So, that's what we did. Bolts directly onto the Bighorn action and keys into the forward rail. Was even able to replicate the L/H threads into it. My thread mills were either too big or too small so I made a form tap from scratch. (that was fun!)

Different, kinda cool. (I think) I also think its much better than having two different parts cobbled together. Now to bury the kid in coating work!

DSC_0014-3.jpg

DSC_0015-6.jpg

DSC_0016-5.jpg

DSC_0017-7.jpg

Re: Latest wigit

Chad,

Getting a Bighorn to marry up with a AX and making a one-off scope rail is insane. Good work!

That is bad to the bone. Cool chit right there, I enjoy seeing this stuff. Keep'em coming.

t

That looks great. When you're making your own taps, I think that qualifies as a custom build
    wink.gif

As a retired CNC Machinist that did a lot of extra stuff after hours, that it what i call "Some cool chit"

Final Assembly.

Fitted barrel, 308 Winchester
    9x flute job
    Single piece/extended rail
    ceracoat in FDE
    Surefire brake.
    Stock/skins/forward tube modified to accept the BH action

DSC_0019-10.jpg

DSC_0018-10.jpg

DSC_0020-12.jpg

DSC_0022-9.jpg

DSC_0023-8.jpg

DSC_0024-9.jpg

DSC_0025-10.jpg

DSC_0026-8.jpg

As always Chad, looks very nice. Your creativity is hard to match as I have seen what you can do to a remote controlled air plane engine.

That is what the extra mile looks like. Turned out amazing and glad someone in this industry still has that much creative problem solving and the will to do the job right the first time. Looks amazing after coating.

this work is awsome! to get all this work done and all the posting,
    ya had to clone yourself!ha....keep pumping out all this great stuff chad!.............d-1

If you don't mind, what was the cost minus the components? That rail looks pricy...

Chad-

Can you do that rail on a long action 700 in that same style chassis?

Was this rifle built on a new style Bighorn action with the integral recoil lug? Would the new version work in terms of lug location?