• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Lathe Tooling Help

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Next year will probably be the year I add a lathe to the shop.

I have been reading reviews and recommendations for the last couple days. I have pretty much settled on a Grizzly G4003G. I know it's an import, but it's in my budget and we don't get a whole lot of used US iron around here. I am also not confident in my ability to gauge the condition of a used lathe.

My question is with this lathe and the tooling that comes with it, what more will I need to acquire to re-barrel and true Remington actions?

I keep hearing folks say that the lathe is the tip of the iceberg and that the tooling makes up the bulk of the cost. Just trying to get my ducks in a row to see what kind of budget I am going to need.

Thanks,
John

Re: Lathe Tooling Help

The cutting attachments are cheap....bushings, rods, reamers, flush system, mandrels, indicators......thats where the cash goes bye bye.

Realistically a single tool holder, a grinder, fish gauge and a couple hss blanks can do the machining. If toy want to gather tooling, start with threading and parting.....that is what requires the highest quality.

Coming from someone whos been using a 4-way toolpost (like the one that comes on the 4003) for the past few months and just upgraded to an Aloris style (Phase II), that is the first thing Id suggest is getting a QC toolpost. Id say you can cut your time in half by doing this, and not only time but frustration.

I just picked up the Phase II BXA kit from Enco for $209 that comes with 5 holders. Skip Enco on the extra holders though, go to www.cdcotools.com. They sell the turning holders for $9/ea! Compare that to even Enco at $38/ea.

Next would definitely be indexable cutting tools. Check out Arthur R. Warner Co, I have their threading tool and I think the HSS does leave a better finish when threading at the low RPM's done on a manual lathe. Their quality is top notch, I wouldnt hesitate to get their turning tools if I hadnt picked up some Kennametal stuff off a guy on here for a good price.

Obviously you need to start getting indicator rods, bushings, and headspace gauges as well. I started my collection by threading friends muzzles and charging them a set of PTG indicator rod/bushings for their caliber.

I would start putting money aside for a good tool post holder and some decent tooling.

You will get lots of comments and opinions, but I just bought an Aloris BXA for my lathe and would suggest you replace the tool post holder that comes with the 4003...
There are several folks around who speak well of the PhaseII if you don't want to spend the money on the Aloris.

Have a look at tooling from these folks. Great quality and service.
http://www.usshoptools.com/current_year/all_products/all_products.asp

I agree with the comment above, measuring tools will really cost and you MUST have them... then the reamers, bushings, mandrels...yep expensive.
Enjoy it

things from PTG add up quick. Cutting and chambering barrels isn't bad but unless you make the tooling for actions and bolts it gets expensive fast. Were holding off on actions right now until we buy the tooling.

The 4 jaw chuck is awesome, we hardly use the unison 3 jaw. The quick change tool holder has worked well.

Invest the money in good dial indicators and good bits. For range rod, reamers, go gauges/no go stick with PTG their stuff is topps.

As much as index tooling is quick and easy.....learn how to grind hss. You will at some point need an odd profile and it is nice to have it in the shop, plus hss produces a nice finish at the speeds you will be using for a while.

Will do, but have to go one step at a time.

The local Community College has a machine shop class, but unfortunately they only run it at night. Since I work night shift right now (and probably next year as well) that isn't going to work real well. Going to be doing a lot of online learning.

I don't remember much from my high school metal shop days. I only did one project on the lathe. That was a simple screw for a clamp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will do, but have to go one step at a time.

The local Community College has a machine shop class, but unfortunately they only run it at night. Since I work night shift right now (and probably next year as well) that isn't going to work real well. Going to be doing a lot of online learning.

I don't remember much from my high school metal shop days. I only did one project on the lathe. That was a simple screw for a clamp.</div></div>

It took Dane and I 6 weeks from the time we got the lathe to the time we finished our first rifle. Trust me if we can do it you can do it. The hide was a huge help and almost everything you need to know can be found on the internet. Start watching STR's youtube video's and the Tubalcain video's are very helpful too.

The list is fairly short as to what you actually need but will be fairly costly. There's enough info on the web right now that a guy could teach himself to chamber inside of one month or less.

Call me sometime if you like and I'll give you part #'s from MSC and Grizzly, a quick run down on what to get and why and how to set up the tools and use them. I'll help you get started in the world of running a lathe. You'll be making chips on day one, threading within a week.

Mr.Roscoe is right on the smaller amount of tooling you actually need and use. He is however wrong, if you listen to him you will be threading in 15 min. Read all you can, call him and make chips. Happy turning.

I picked up quite a bit of tooling on ebay, they have a lot of stuff that u can use the majority of time. I also visited a few auctions when machine shops were closing, around here auctions are listed in the newspaper. I know you said your lathe comes with a quick change tool post, but I have an Aloris AX with 5 or 6 holders, that you can have very reasonably. The A series Aloris are for a very small lathe, under 12 inches I believe.

Inserted lathe tools are worth it in my opinion. Ill get ya a list of of cutter to watch ebay for you can get some very good deals that will be worth it in the long run. I would suggest go visit a local shop I am willing to bet someone there would be willing to help you get started or at least let you watch.

Thanks guys.

wnroscoe,

I will definitely take you up on that in the coming months. I am still quite aways away from placing the order.

The wife just kind of rolled her eyes when I told her about my plans.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cwood3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is STR's YouTube videos....? I'm interested.

Curtis</div></div>

Look near the top of this forum page its a sticky "video truing a 700 remmington"