• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

lawton or stiller action

whitetrashmo

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2011
hannibal,mo.
I am looking to build a new rifle want to use a custom action.I have been looking into lawton actions or stiller.Any suggestions or advice.It will be a 308 caliber rifle.

Re: lawton or stiller action

stiller tac 30 or a big horn is what i want to use on my next build

Stiller is good. Do some searches on Lawton before you think about losing any of your hard-earned money to them.

I believe Lawton is out of business. If their not, then they better be sending me a barrel. You should go with something besides Lawton.

Below is a copy/paste quote from a fella I exchanged a couple of emails with that lives in western MT. Don't know how 'factual' it is but he had no reason to give me incorrect info on the subject we discussed. All I can say is if correct someone at Lawton needs to spend time in Deer Lodge,MT. The below comment just from Wednesday IIRC.

Yes,it was Lawton,the guy who worked with them is Jeremiah Nygren.alot of their inventory in the form of completed rifles ended up for sale in the local gun shop. Did you recognize the markings on the barrel end by chance?I see you are from Montana.
----- Original Message -----

I was leaning towards stiller but i wasnt sure.Does anyone have any opinions as to weather or not defiance actions is worth the extra money over stiller.

The Lawton stuff is fine. I have 3 of their actions at this time. If you find an action that a smith has IN STOCK and you can actually put your hand on it and the price is right, go for it. If not, build on a Stiller.

Stay away from Lawton. Their last 2 actions I had were both out of spec and were going to have to be remachined to be within tolerance. Why would you buy a custom action that would require MORE work to get proper fitment?

Go Stiller if those are your two choices.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitetrashmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was leaning towards stiller but i wasnt sure.Does anyone have any opinions as to weather or not defiance actions is worth the extra money over stiller. </div></div>

Get a Defiance they are worth the extra, or a Borden, both better than your first two choice!

Stiller did 2 barreled actions for me in the last 2 months and they both have been exceptional . Great people to work with.

Wasn't Lawton supplying actions for GAP rifles at one point?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wasn't Lawton supplying actions for GAP rifles at one point?</div></div>

Yes they were - that was a while ago when Barney was alive and running the show. I had a .308 built by GAP with one of Barney's 7000 actions - it was a hammer....

Are you stuck between a Lawton or Stiller? There are quite a few other Rem 700 clones that are just as good and some better than these 2.

A stiller action is very good. I am having a 280AI built on a stiller TAC300 but if I did over I think I would have payed the extra money and went with the defiance action. The reason for this would be all the options that you have with defiance. I am not going to say any names and NOTHING AGAINST them but there are some gunsmiths that will not build on a stiller action. So by saying that you need to make sure the gunsmith you are using will build off of whatever action you decide to go with. Good luck on the build.

The Stiller on my 260 is very smooth. Feels great to run and the gun shoots great. I don't think you'll be disapointed if you end up running the Stiller. It's never let me down.

I don't think the more expensive actions will be any more reliable than the Stiller. The new actions have a 1 piece bolt and Jerry has great c.s.. If you're trying to build on a budget, the Stiller is a great action.

My 7WSM is on a GAP (Lawton) 7000. It is the smoothest action I own. But it is an older action.
As for Defiance, I have a friend who just had a rifle built on one of their actions and it is superb. I would not hesitate to use them at all.
I am surprised that Surgeon has not been mentioned yet. I absolutely love mine and the folks there are the best I've dealt with.

Used a Stiller TAC338 on my last build (done by Jered down at APA by the way - awesome work by APA so highly recommend them) and it has been perfect - yes, I know you said 308 but figure that the Stiller worked well for me so I would add my .02