• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LC brass?

A.Hutch

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
S.E. Ok
I've got a crap load of LC brass, various year marks. How do I tell match brass from standard brass???

Hutch

I think thats just the nato headstamp, doesn't the match have LR for long range?
yup 280nosler types faster thn I

Last edited:
Most importantly here, the Match brass doesn't have crimped primers like their conventional ammo (ball, tracer, AP, whatever) does.

Most importantly here, the Match brass doesn't have crimped primers like their conventional ammo (ball, tracer, AP, whatever) does.

Neither does the LR marked brass. I dont know who else uses it in the military but I know the Marine snipers use LR at Quantico.

Correct, the LR brass is Match brass, and also done without the crimp. Major pain in the ass removing crimps, so the Match stuff is definately the way to go if you've got an option.

i have here an '89 .308 case _ headstamp : LC 89 MATCH, and more or less 7,5 millimeters from the base , the lower body is knurled_ no nato encircled cross_
hope can help

wilecoyote,

what you have there is Match brass that was originally loaded with a 168 gr. SMK in what was known as M852 National Match ammunition. The knurling was to denote this as "not for combat" ammunition, and the boxes were so marked. Bad news here; the knurling is right where cases tend to separate, and thus weakens the brass at an already critical point. I don't normally recommend this brass for reloading if you have any other option.

wilecoyote,

what you have there is Match brass that was originally loaded with a 168 gr. SMK in what was known as M852 National Match ammunition. The knurling was to denote this as "not for combat" ammunition, and the boxes were so marked. Bad news here; the knurling is right where cases tend to separate, and thus weakens the brass at an already critical point. I don't normally recommend this brass for reloading if you have any other option.
KSTHOMAS, thank you very much about the info ! (don'worry about "his" reloading,anyway: I have only this specimen...)