• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LE Rem 700 .308 LTR

bterry

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2010
North Carolina
What's your thoughts on the LE Rem. 700 .308 LTR package with the Leupold 3.5x10x40 scope. I've read it's used by the majority of Law Enforcement Departments across the country and wondering what the pro and con's of the system are, thanks.

Re: LE Rem 700 .308 LTR

Used by the majority?
That is a stretch.

Ltr package, good rifle, mediocre scope.

The LTR is a nice rifle. Especially the recent production version with the 40X trigger. Leupold makes a well known scope and it's a decent mid grade scope but this package exactly as it reads is NOT used by the "majority" of LE... IMHO. There are a lot of good Factory rifles as well as customs to choose from.

Just picked a LTR Barreled action to pair with A B&C A2 Tactical so I hope youre right lol. Gonna pick up a case of 175s and see what it'll do here in a few weeks once George ships those new HDMRs out. If you can wait that long I'll tell you how it goes. This is my first precision rifle so Im pretty unbiased.

the gun is a good platform, im not a fan of the stock, or the glass but over all the platform is a good starter out of the box and can be upgraded over time

I have this setup, purchased used from a friend of a friend. The scope is pretty nice, though I'd really prefer having turrets and mildots. Like the rest of the rifle, it's something I can use to learn with. I can easily see that once my capabilities increase, I'll likely either sell the rifle for something a little more suited to me, or I'll rebuild it as I want. For now though, I'm happy with it, mostly.

I took it out this week and managed a few ~1 inch groups at 200 yards, which is probably as good as I can do from an uncomfortable position and a bipod and a rolled-up sweatshirt. Sporting clays on the berm at 200 and 300 yards became boring very quickly, once I learned where to hold.

In short, if you're newish to precision weapons like I am, this may be a good route for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vanilla Gorilla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I took it out this week and managed a few ~1 inch groups at 200 yards, which is probably as good as I can do from an uncomfortable position and a bipod and a rolled-up sweatshirt. </div></div>

Dang boss thats about ~.5 MOA if you were at 200 yds... Not bad at all.

Thanks for the info. I had the opportunity to shoot it with and without a can the other day. Your right in that the 40X trigger is a plus, the glass was good and had the mil-dot ret. As a light tactical, I thought it shot very well with 168 gr. matchkings, we were getting sub MOA groups at 100 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strive4More</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vanilla Gorilla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I took it out this week and managed a few ~1 inch groups at 200 yards, which is probably as good as I can do from an uncomfortable position and a bipod and a rolled-up sweatshirt. </div></div>

Dang boss thats about ~.5 MOA if you were at 200 yds... Not bad at all.
</div></div>

Rather over an inch than under, but yeah, I'm pretty damn proud of that.

The trick will be doing it again when I go tomorrow.

2 of our County guys use a simular set but with the 24 inch bull barrel and they like it and its accurate, but that's what is issued to them by the Sherrifs office.They could use thier own but dont want to spend the money. I had to supply my own and went with the LTR 20" but as seen below in signature, when you are 6-5 and have a 14 1/2 inch L.O.P. stocks are not as easy to find especially if you want a detatchable box mag.

Shot these today with FGMM 175. Left is 100 and right is 200 yards.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNDgtMjAxMTExMjEtMTU1MS5qcGc.jpg

Yes, I know about 3 shot groups, but I didn't have enough ammo to work it all the way to 300 with 5 shot groups. The 300 group was about 2.5 inches and nothing I was too proud of. I guess I kinda fell apart.

I have one and LOVE it
I bought it used with a Jewell trigger
shoots just about any ammo sub MOA and will do one hole groups with several handloads at 100 yards and .5 at 300
I shoot it to 1K with 175g SMK handloads

I have upgraded the stock to a Manners MCS-T

It's great rifle, I have hunted with it as well

rangedaymay22008.jpg

I just picked one up on the hide, can't wait to get it in my hands. I'm having the barrel cut to 16.5", action trueed, and threading the barrel. I thought it would be a great hunting scout rifle. I'll post some groups once I get it back from the smith.

The Pros are that they just about all are .5 guns with FGGM and an adjusted factory trigger. They are light and very handy. They do everything you need a 308 Win rifle to do. I have been to several classes and these rifles have been there with LE teams and they do just fine shooting to 1K. They are much nicer to carry than the 15 pound anchor I took.

The Cons they have been around forever and are not as sexy as other choices. You always want to upgrade even though you dont really need to.

Ive had a couple LTRs and I kick myself in the arse every time I sell them for other stuff. I always wish I still had one, and will begin the journy again when the time is right.

I have a variation of this gun, the 700 USR. It's been a good gun to learn on but I think it's time to move on to a big boy rifle, ie. AI .338.

I really like my Remington. I restocked it on a Mcmillan stock with v-block with dbm. The lowest I could get the 40 x trigger with an aftermarket spring was 3 lbs. It has Seekins rings and a Nightforce scope and is a sub moa rifle. It has a long bullet lead/jump but seems to shoot well anyway. I bore scoped it and it looks good but you can feel some areas of varying tightness when you slug it. After getting a custom made 308 I realize how much of the shooting is me rather than the rifle and I like it even more. I really like the 20 inch barrel for hunting in stands. It is more forgiving than my other 308 which has a carbon barrel. The lighter barrel recoils more and is less forgiving if I don't ride the recoil the same way each time, accuracy suffers. All in all I am a big fan of the Remy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's your thoughts on the LE Rem. 700 .308 LTR package with the Leupold 3.5x10x40 scope. I've read it's used by the majority of Law Enforcement Departments across the country and wondering what the pro and con's of the system are, thanks. </div></div>The action is good.
The barrel is usually OK.
The chamber is a crapshoot.
The stock needs a cheek piece.
The trigger can be replaced if it won't adjust.
The base screws are most of the time aligned properly.
The scope is not as good as it used to be.

Pros: It's a Rem 700 action, and the cost isn't prohibitive.
Cons: You are the quality control on the entire package.

I think allot of precision shooters have been down the road of buying a Remmy 700 then adding a heavy complicated stock, long heavy barrel, huge optics etc. and ended up miles away from where they started or where they needed to be to accomplish the task. If you start with an LTR IMO you really only NEED a better bolt knob, bipod and a stick-on cheek riser from Brownells. It really is a very handy and capable package, buying used might allow you to try one before laying out $$$.

This was my LTR. I had it threaded and added the FTE and a Karsten. Big difference. It was a great shooter btw. Occasionally I'd get .2-.4 moa groups out to 400yds. In close, 100 yds, could never get better than .4 moa. On ave. I say .5-.7 moa overall. For LE work, it's plenty good. I agree with most, need better glass. Sorry for chitty pic, but it's all I had left of this rifle.

[img:left]
001.jpg
[/img]

I have one of these I got about 6 years ago. The dealer told me it was a special run from Davidson's with the lugs lapped and 40X trigger.

Is the 40X supposed to be two stage, or is mine just not adjusted properly?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rgrwilcox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one of these I got about 6 years ago. The dealer told me it was a special run from Davidson's with the lugs lapped and 40X trigger.

Is the 40X supposed to be two stage, or is mine just not adjusted properly? </div></div>

To be honest, I don't think the 40X trigger is a two stage. I also didn't know the LTR even came with them. Mine was a 2000 model and with the pre-2006 trigger adjusted, I was happy with it. I believe the 40X triggers have an external trigger pull just in front of the shoe. If I'm wrong, would someone please educate me.

It has the external screw...it's a 40X for sure...just not sure its set up right

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's your thoughts on the LE Rem. 700 .308 LTR package with the Leupold 3.5x10x40 scope. I've read it's used by the majority of Law Enforcement Departments across the country and wondering what the pro and con's of the system are, thanks. </div></div>The action is good.
The barrel is usually OK.
The chamber is a crapshoot.
The stock needs a cheek piece.
The trigger can be replaced if it won't adjust.
The base screws are most of the time aligned properly.
The scope is not as good as it used to be.

Pros: It's a Rem 700 action, and the cost isn't prohibitive.
Cons: You are the quality control on the entire package. </div></div>
Sent mine to GAP , Threaded barrel, trued action/Ckd.chamber and I dropped it in an AICS 1.5 Chassis w/NF scope
I'm REAL Happy with it !

I've had mine several years now. This year I cut it to 16.5 and added AAC breakout and use my 762-sd can . Great little rifle.

1979brj, What weight bullet are you shooting and with kind of results. I'm
Sending mine off to be cut down, trued and have GA work their magic.