• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Lead Fouling

HotIce

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2006
USA
Which method do you guys use to clean lead fouling out of your barrels?

Re: Lead Fouling

Copper Chore Boy pads for quick clean. About twice a year I use a home made Foul-Out.

Eddie is right. Unwind some of the copper threads and wind into a bronze brush. Works great. Sometimes I use a "Lead Away" rag cut into patches. Cleans the face of the cylinders too.

I found through laziness that the easiest way to clean the lead out of a bore that isn't totally fouled is to shoot a couple hot jacketed rounds through it. By round 3 it's back to the fun.

Then switch to a harder lead alloy in the future. It works exceptionally well when I leaded up a Glock barrel trying to see how soft of an alloy I could shoot from my 10mm's.

The copper chore boy works really well if you can't get to the range to blast it out of there.

One of my revolvers tries to lead all the time. I use a Lewis Lead Remover. Basically a rubber plug with brass screen patches.

Alright, got a couple of Copper Chore Boy today.
If that works, it's great! Doesn't get cheaper and easier than that.
Do you need to soak the bore with some CLP/Kroil/Hoppes/... or you run it dry?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of my revolvers tries to lead all the time. I use a Lewis Lead Remover. Basically a rubber plug with brass screen patches. </div></div>

Shooting Lead for over 30 years, I have not found a better way.

Well, today I shot about 400 rounds with my SA Loaded, and I didn't see any trace of leading when I cleaned it after.
This with 230gr LRN Zero bullet, and 4.4/4.5gr of TiteGroup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I found through laziness that the easiest way to clean the lead out of a bore that isn't totally fouled is to shoot a couple hot jacketed rounds through it.</div></div>

About 20 years ago I sold a M19 Bianchi Cup revolver to a fellow. After a practice session using cast loads, he fired several jacketed rounds to clean out the lead. Split the barrel at the forcing cone which, of course, cracked the frame.