• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Lead sled??

bobo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2012
Northeast, Mississippi
Fairly new to long range shooting. Does lead sled have any place in this game or simply bad for fundamentals. Any differnece from bench and bags?

Re: Lead sled??

I tried one the other day for the first time, it even had the hydraulic plunger for the trigger but the groups it produced were horrible. I went right back to shooting prone/bench and kicked myself for wasting the loads in the lead sled. I wouldn't touch one again and certainly wouldn't spend the money on one.

I tried both a 6.5 Grendel and my go to .308 and neither of them liked the lead sled.

Lead sleds have no relevance in the Tactical Shooting type games.

I don't even see them in benchrest.

The only time I see Lead Sleds are at the range where guys are afraid of recoil or recovering from some physical deficit.

I have been behind one a time or two and hate the way they feel.

Learn the fundamentals from the start. Counting on some device to do them for you will only hurt you in the long run.

They really don't solve anything that the shooter himself can't do.

Lead sled produce a different type of recoil. The point of impact will be different when you shoot the rifle from any other position. This is especially true with slug guns (the only time I tried one). I shoot better prone than I do off the bench.

A man walks into a bar and asks "Fairly new to long range shooting. Does lead sled have any place in this game?"

There are ten possible 1000 yard records:

Lee holds seven of them....I wonder if he uses a sled?

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2009/07/rasmussen-sets-new-1-9557-50-cal-record-at-1000-yards/

Then there is Joel Pendergraft ....I wonder if he uses a sled?

http://longrangeshooter.com/2009/06/new-1000-yard-shooting-record/

Joel Russo like to shoot...I wonder if he uses a sled?

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008/04/ultra-long-range-044-moa-at-1680-yards-with-a-338/

Ken likes to shoot at 1,000 yards....I wonder if he uses a sled?

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2009/05/ken-brucklacher-sets-1000-yard-score-record-100-8x/

Tell these guys "that's not shooting."

You owe me $20 Joel.

I would definitely agree with everyone that a lead sled is bad for learning. But in my mind they are good for working up a load. If you're like me and look at a group you just test fired and wonder "was that really what the rifle would have shot, or is it because of something I did wrong?" then a lead sled might be worth trying. The only variable in using a sled is trigger pull. If you feel confident that you can shoot the rifle to 100% of it's capability then skip the sled for testing.

I'm sure I'm going to get hammered for saying this...but oh well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You owe me $20 Joel.
</div></div>

For what?

The only thing I finds lead sled good for is zeroing shotgun slugs

I purchased one several years ago thinking it would take "me" out of the shooting equation for some precision/accuracy testing I was doing at the time. It didn't. I shoot far better prone with a bipod and rear bag. So I gave it away.

I've used one for quick scope sight in. I holds the rifle steady enough you can take a shot then dial the cross hairs over to the hit without moving the rifle in the process. Of course this can be done with bags too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joel Russo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You owe me $20 Joel.
</div></div>

For what? </div></div>

Now that's funny...Different Joel, Joel...Nice to see you on these boards though!

I hate mine. All my guns shoot like crap with it.

Sighting in a 6 1/2 lb 300 Win Mag it was OK.

Now I use it as a cleaning/working stand.

I hate mine. All my guns shoot like crap with it.

Sighting in my brothers 6 1/2 lb 300 Win Mag (AKA "the nut kicker") it was OK. (my bro is a tricky basterd "can you sight my gun in for 200 yards and figure the hold over for 300, 400, and 500?")

Now I use it as a cleaning/working stand.