• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leapers/UTG anyone?

overgunned

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2007
The real world
Wondering on you all's thoughts on this company. It used to mean cheap ass Chinese/overseas made junk to me. My bud has 2 Leapers Accushot scopes he swears are the best scope values out there. I always laughed at him about it.

Well, it turns out Leapers has just opened a new 40,000 sq. ft facility, and the concentration is going to be on American, yes AMERICAN, made products. Wondering what you all think, and if anyone here uses their products. Here are a couple links. Thanks.......

http://www.leapers.com/index.php

Hope the OP link is okay(never shopped there before). If not, get rid of it. Just put it there to give an idea of prices/products. Or if someone knows a better link, feel free to post it:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leapers-utg.html

Re: Leapers anyone?

Why even bother? With enough fine products out there that don't have the Leapers/UTG reputation for being absolute garbage around them, I'll continue to ignore them...

That is the same way I've thought about them. However, they seem to be changing their ways for the good, and seem to be putting out some innovative products. How good they are, I can't say. They also seem to be striving toward quality, good customer service, and USA made products. I do not own a single product they make, but that could change some day.

Their product line has grown extensively. I could maybe see myself giving one of their USA made products a test drive...

FWIW, today I had to use a carbide Dremel bit to cut off the Leapers/UTG trimount off my DPMS.

The Base was awesome strong.. the damn screws were junk and stripped...the first time. Well, there is no other way to release without surgically "trimming" the catch to bust the screws.

I had the base on it for 3 years.. and was just getting the nerve to perform surgery.

Past product = CRAP

Future product .... I may take a look at it in 2 years.

I dont know, they have their place in the milsurp and cheap sporter market, but I dont think anyone will ever take them serious. Maybe a name change would help.

Re: Leapers/UTG anyone?

I am sorry but any time I hear Leapers, or UTG I think Mall Ninja quality sold at a gun show but a guy thats extremely overweight and got kicked out of SEAL training for kicking a BUDS instructors butt
laugh.gif
( note that is sarcasim and a laugh )

I had a leapers on my air arms .22 pellet rifle and the dam thing wouldn't hold zero. No warranty on them after 30 days. Buy the best you can and you'll wind up saving money and not accumulating parts in a shelf.

IMHO, their move towards US production is so that their items can be 9/22-r compliance parts. So I guess something positive might come out of that shitty regulation after all this time.

Their gear isn't top quality, but there are a few gems. It's a case of caveat emptor.

I personally wouldn't run their optics just like I won't run BSA, Barska, or any other cheapo like that even on my .22lr. However I have some of their aluminum parts and they are fine. I have their picatinny rail on my 10/22 and it works fine. I also took one of their m14 handguard scope rails and chopped off the part that screws to the action. I'm using an ARMS #18 to mount my scope on, and the modified UTG handguard works perfectly for clip-on NODS and other accessories.

You just have to take it for what it is: affordable gear for hobby guns in non-critical situations. Some things are better than others, certainly it's hard to mess up a 4" long picatinny rail but an entire free-float system might be a different animal.

I have a cheap UTG bipod on my slug gun. I am pleasantly surprised with it's function and durability. I'm not comparing it to an Atlas or even a Harris, but it suits my needs. By the way, $20.

Leapers scopes will always be crap, that much can be said about any scope in that price range, but their accessories are decent, my UTG bipod is a spectacular performer, very rigid and functional, of course not at the level of a Harris, but I'd recommend it as an inexpensive alternative.