• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Learning Ranging and mildot est.

Mag 300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Dec 31, 2006
    Downers Grove Illinois
    if your looking to learn range estimation for either mils or MOA suggest the following

I ordered a copy of the Long range shooting solutiuons CD from NECO and in the last 30 minutes realized how easy this is with a mil/mil set up

second have a mildot master in mils and meters that also reinforces the same attributes.

if youre looking to learn and practice ona computer suggest getting these they will help a lot
    Bill

Re: Learning Ranging and mildot est.

OK - why mils and meters?

There is nothing "metric" about mils.

Both milliradians and MOA are measurements of angle which have <span style="font-weight: bold">nothing</span> whatsoever to do with any system of linear measure.

There are two times Pi radians in a circle, and a milliradian is simply one-thousands of a radian.

One milliradian is an angle which subtends an arc whose length is 1/1000th of the distance from the vertex.

In other words, one milliradian subtends an arc whose length is:
    1 yard at 1000 yards.
    1 meter at 1000 meters.
    1 mile at 1000 miles.
    1 league at 1000 leagues.
    1 fathom at 1000 fathoms.
    1 inch at 1000 inches.
    1 foot at 1000 feet.
    1 lightyear at 1000 lightyears.
    1 attoparsec at 1000 attoparsecs.
    3.6 inches at 3600 inches (100 yards).

It has nothing to do with any English or Metric system of linear measure.

But for one thing the measurements on the mildot scale are in Meters!!!!! for distance that is a metric measurement last time I looked???

did not mean to suggest that the milradian is a metric unit. but a meter is a measurment of distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK - why mils and meters?

There is nothing "metric" about mils.

Both milliradians and MOA are measurements of angle which have <span style="font-weight: bold">nothing</span> whatsoever to do with any system of linear measure.

There are two times Pi radians in a circle, and a milliradian is simply one-thousands of a radian.

One milliradian is an angle which subtends an arc whose length is 1/1000th of the distance from the vertex.

In other words, one milliradian subtends an arc whose length is:
    1 yard at 1000 yards.
    1 meter at 1000 meters.
    1 mile at 1000 miles.
    1 league at 1000 leagues.
    1 fathom at 1000 fathoms.
    1 inch at 1000 inches.
    1 foot at 1000 feet.
    1 lightyear at 1000 lightyears.
    1 attoparsec at 1000 attoparsecs.
    3.6 inches at 3600 inches (100 yards).

It has nothing to do with any English or Metric system of linear measure.
    </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But for one thing the measurements on the mildot scale are in Meters!!!!!</div></div>

What scale is that? The Mildot Master I have has distances in meters on one side of the slide, and distances in yards in the other.

There is no such thing as a "mildot scale".

herer we go

the "scale" on the mildot master that slides up and down has meters for distance take a look.
    meters is a measurement of distance not an angle

I never said there was a scale for the mildot it was the scale in the mildot master.

Bill - take the slide of the Mildot Master out, and turn it over. The other side is in yards.

Go back and read what I wrote above. Measure distance in whatever suits your fancy. It has nothing to do with measuring angles in milliradians.

If you're keeping your dope in cubits, 1 milliradian is an angle which has a length of 1 cubit at 1000 cubits from the vertex.

triggernometry? A basic understanding will help tremendously and is fairly easily absorbed with a little reading and a few drawrings.

Lindy
    just want to be clear that I am no expert shooter but use mils and like them in that its an easier comaprison for me the with the 10 to 1 ratio.
    I highly respect your views and appreciate all that you have posted here for others like me to learn from .
    yes the other side does have yards I just prefer mils and meters not that there related.

Thanks for everything sorry for the confusion on my part.
    Just trying to offer different product to help people and these gave me a quick lesson thats working well.

Bill

Lindy]Bill - take the slide of the Mildot Master out, and turn it over. The other side is in yards.

Go back and read what I wrote above. Measure distance in whatever suits your fancy. It has nothing to do with measuring angles in milliradians.

If you're keeping your dope in cubits, 1 milliradian is an angle which has a length of 1 cubit at 1000 cubits from the vertex.

[/quote]

Agreed

Thank you

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bill - take the slide of the Mildot Master out, and turn it over. The other side is in yards.

</div></div>