• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Learnings from Rimfire Comp Thread

Re: Learnings from Rimfire Comp Thread

Oh yeah. I just assumed 5 rounds per target. Are we sticking to 25 rounds like the single gong I assume? Also, still no rear support? This is gonna be fun!

The matches were 20 rounds per target (+ 2 convertible sighters), with rear support. I was trying to make it look like F-class since there are quite of few of those shooters in the club.

Ok. So we're doing 4 rounds per target? I'm good either way. What do you say TP?

No, it depends on the distance (always 20 rounds scored + 2 sighters):

<span style="font-weight: bold">50 and 75 yards:</span> 5 rounds on each of 4 targets, 2 non-convertible sighters on a 5th target
<span style="font-weight: bold">100 yards:</span> 10 rounds on each or two targets, 2 non-convertible sighters on a 3rd target
<span style="font-weight: bold">150, 200, 250 and 300 yards:</span> 20 on a single target, 2 convertible sighters on the same target.

There is a document in the link that describes it in detail.

I'm not saying to change your match, I was just showing what I have been doing.

Yeah that's pretty cool. But I think I'd rather stick to our match format. But that's JMO. I'm waiting for TP to chime in here too since he's the one that made up the new match.

it's not really a new match at all, just a new target so for those that like the idea of a fresh "gong" can get it on without being distracted by the traditional scoring rings.

for some reason i can't get the sizing correct, they are 1/16" smaller than a true 2.5" circle. but the bull is 1".

just like before:

100Yard Bench or Prone 25RD (2.5" round disc) 25 rounds. i figure 5rounds per "gong"

i put up a 3.5" multi gong one too in the printable targets section for thos that like the 3.5" size.

^ Yeah that's all basically what I was thinking. Better than walking back and forth all the time for a fresh paster to get the same effect. I definitely like this as an option. I don't know if many others will, but I think at least some guys will prefer it. If the sizing can't be done, I wouldn't worry about it. The price you pay for getting a fresh gong! As always TP..you rock!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ran a couple 100-300 yard .22LR matches at the local club this summer, have another coming up this weekend.

Info for it is here:
http://reloading.jimdo.com/downloads-1/precision-long-range-22lr/

My write-up about the match has a lot of information about stuff that I've learned and there are some match results on the side links too with some photos of the results under non-ideal conditions.

I think the biggest lesson learned is that the old "what my rifle likes" results at 50 yards are pretty meaningless if the ammo has high velocity SDs. It may do well at 50, but you get a lot of vertical stringing at 200 and 300 yards. The old Lapua Master and Master M ammo seems to have amazingly low SDs over all of the lots I have tried.

Got this group at 300 yards under dead calm conditions (not part of the match):
P1050423.jpg

My set of gongs for practice:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/kombayotch/Firearms%20Stuff/2mhxyc6.jpg</div></div>

That's pretty good @ 300 yards!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ran a couple 100-300 yard .22LR matches at the local club this summer, have another coming up this weekend.

Info for it is here:

My write-up about the match has a lot of information about stuff that I've learned and there are some match results on the side links too with some photos of the results under non-ideal conditions.

I think the biggest lesson learned is that the old "what my rifle likes" results at 50 yards are pretty meaningless if the ammo has high velocity SDs. It may do well at 50, but you get a lot of vertical stringing at 200 and 300 yards. The old Lapua Master and Master M ammo seems to have amazingly low SDs over all of the lots I have tried.

P1050423.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/kombayotch/Firearms%20Stuff/2mhxyc6.jpg</div></div>

That's pretty good @ 300 yards! </div></div>

Yes B. Melick, that is pretty good for 300 yds!
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ran a couple 100-300 yard .22LR matches at the local club this summer, have another coming up this weekend.

Info for it is here:

P1050423.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/kombayotch/Firearms%20Stuff/2mhxyc6.jpg

</div></div>

50 yard groups are worthless for ammo comparisons for any decent ammo.
100yards is way better if you are interested in the Long Range game.

What ammo did you shoot that gong with?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have read anecdotally about group sizes increasing in the summer and decreasing in the winter. I didn't really believe it, but saw accuracy drop off when I ran out of a certain lot of Eley ammo AND the temperatures started rising. I went on a quest for the perfect lot of ammo... and could never achieve the heights of accuracy that I was reaching when I first got this gun. Until now.

Last weekend, I wasn't really shooting groups to measure, mainly to find zero. I ended up going home and measuring and the three 5-shot groups I fired AVERAGED 0.63 MOA at 110 yards.

This week, I shot my best 5 X 5 ever...
LearningsTarget.jpg

This 5X5 averaged 0.726 MOA with the biggest group being just a hair over MOA.

I tell you what... I am leaning towards the idea that moderate temps are best. It was a little below 80 today and in the same range last weekend. This is about what it was like when I had tight groups last year. I didn't even really feel like I was shooting well today. I am rusty as I have not been making it to the range my usual twice a week and actually missed about 3 weeks before going last week.

On the other hand, I also gave my rifle a thorough cleaning, but that was 2 sessions ago and I haven't cleaned it since. I guess if I knew exactly what caused great accuracy, I could bottle it, but it is still kind of a mystery to me. At 100 yards with a 22, there are so many variables, some days, I feel great and the holes don't fall in the right place, and some days, like today, I don't feel so great, but the holes seem to fall just right. Since I couldn't distinguish every hole, I didn't know I was having a good day until I walked up to get my target.

Anyone else notice any weather effects apart from wind that seem to impact accuracy? </div></div>

My SPS tactical .308 shoots better after 10 rounds when it's clean...I have tested many times and it coumes out that it is most accurate when the bore is DIRTY, maybe your 22 is the same and not the weather?

with no measureable wind on the range today i was expecting much better than what i shot.

i think i "psyched" myself out. unable to have the time between holidays and hunting to try to weed out the bad rounds in the ammo issues i had going on, i let the misfires and failures to extract get me out of my rhythm, make me frustrated, and blew a few shots.

i noticed too on the 100 yard target that the rounds that where not ejecting landed in erratic POI from the ones that worked fine.

my scores are going to suck until i get this ammo issue cleared up, and hopefully will be soon.

It dawn on me last night that I've only shot two 200 yard SH comps all year (February & September). I shot more 4 position and 100 yard comps, but I let my 200 yard shooting slip by me before I realized it.

This will change in 2011. So much so that I made up a new target to use for 200 yard 5"x7" & 5" disc/gong shooting.

Sure, I like the report of the bullet hitting the metal at 200 yards, but I kind of want to see something on paper, so I came up with this;

100_0655.jpg

I threw the silhouette in the center of the 5" disc target for a reference point of aim, though it will be interesting to see if I can actually hit the silhouette with any kind of consistancy come Spring of 2011. The silhouette is 2 3/8" north to south and 3 1/4" east to west at the longest points.

Anyone care if I use this setup next year on the 200 yard 5" disc and 5"x7" gong? <span style="color: #3366FF">I also figured since we're Sniper's Hide the 4, 5 & V Rings of an AQT silhouette sets the target off just a bit.
smile.gif
</span>

FYI, I had the archery targets I use for my match customized at bit. I went to the mfg. and got him to shut off the red and the blue. Should make it much easier to spot the hits in the matches. It also reduced the cost of the targets, which was a bonus. The big black ring remains because it's all or nothing for each color.

cust_arch.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ida83704</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What ammo did you shoot that gong with? </div></div>
Lapua Master M

Just a few points/findings on my practice setup.
For the control I use my .300WM GAP built AICS 1.5 Rem 700
210 bergers BC .640 @ 2835. I have shot this rig alot,on my 16" steel plate. The plate was built to practice for the 1000 yard any any's at the Colorado rifle club. If the plate is hit then IAM in the X-ring or 10-ring.
I then built a sweet Annie 64 in a McMillan prone stock for practicing my form on reduced targets. I was sold on it, the amount of prone shooting I could get in was great. The scores went up.

So how does the practice setup correlate to the "full scale"

I used to just shoot the TQ-4 @ 100 all the time, but I do not think the 1000 yard reduced to 100 is a fair representation. Here is why.

1) my scores are higher on the 1000 reduced to 100 than my "real" 1000 yard scores. 93% was my last 1000 yard score 186-7X (20 round COF) on the 100 yard TQ-4 I can see 97% and higher regularly.
So the reduced must be easier.

2) .300WM at 1000 E 24.25 W 4.5 (full value) The RF is E 5.75 W 4.25 full value wind is 10 MPH @ 3:00. So the wind is close but the drop is not even close.

3)I have been shooting 200 yards with the RF and it seems to scale (for me) much better. Now we have the .300WM E 24.25 and the RF E 21.75 but the windage is now double 9.0 MOA versus the WM'S 4.5

4) Now for the "meat" of all this. My last 4 rounds of 200 yard practice yielded 235/250 94%, 239/250 95%, 239/250 95% and a 245/250 98%. Other than the stellar round at 98% the 200 yard more closely represents what I shoot "full scale" I think my 200 yard RF targets with the group spread out all over the 10-ring and 8-9 rings just looks more like my LR HP targets and the groups I see at 1000. The 100 yard practice targets look much tighter than any of my high power targets....I wish I could do the same on the HP target but the reality is NO WAY.

So what do I feel is the best true practice for the LR HP target ? For me it's 200 yards shooting the RF at 1 MOA X-ring and 2MOA 10-ring and so on.

I will still shoot the TQ-4 but This year I want to shoot 200 more often than not. Iam also cooking up a 300 yard scale test....the 45 MOA for 300 yard RF is like 1450 when shooting the .300WM.
I will post the percentages for this test later.
Berga

I learned a couple things from my first set of scores in the rimfire competitions...

First of all, I love JBM! I wasted much less ammo finding my zero's with a guideline from JBM. It's surprisingly close to correct and acts as a great basis to use for shooting less sighters and more scored shots. I now know the dope for my gun from 25 yards out to 250 yards and the exact amount of clicks for my setup needed to get me to every distance in between.

I also learned how just a few bad shots can really break your score on a target. This is frustrating but fun and very informative at the same time. It also drives me to become a better shooter too, which is awesome, not that I don't already have that drive, but this just exemplifies it.

I also learned that shooting in any position other than benchrest is incredibly difficult for me. But today was my first attempt at everything excluding prone, although prone unsupported was new one for me, and proved to be very difficult as well. These are just more reasons to keep practicing!

And I found a new respect for position shooters. Especially offhand shooters. I always had a deep respect for anyone who is good at shooting, but experiencing exactly how badly I suck at what they do phenomenally well at is very humbling to say the least. I have certainly gained a new level of respect for all you guys.

And lastly, I learned that as the weather grows warmer, my cold bore shots in the 22lr become more noticeable. I received great groups (for me) including all of the cold bores, and can't wait to see them when I have the cold bore dialed in correctly. Hopefully this doesn't become much of a problem...

Thanks guys,
-Dylan

Here is what I learned this morning,shooting 300 yards at the MR-63....WIND SUCKS !!!
Both targets were shot from the prone with sling and fired less than 30 minutes apart with the same lot of SM340.
The plan was shoot a round, walk down and score first target.
Then return to the firing line,read the wind,dope it and then "clean it"(I always think "clean it")
On my way back,the wind hit the fan. I shot the round anyway because I can't learn to shoot in the wind by asking guys on the hide a bunch of stupid questions....if want to be a good rifle shot then go shoot a rifle. [img:center]
300yardnowind.jpg
[/img]

First round 230-6X 12.75" group. wind from 7:30 @ 5
[img:center]
300yardwind.jpg
[/img]
second round 180-3X wind all over the place @ 18 plus (kestrel)
one of the misses hit target 1 at 1:00 in the white. Group size 20.5"
I guess my wind skills with the rimfire need work.
BERGA

You learn the most by shooting lows scores in the wind. Not fun to report the results, but important experience. In the last 2 months, the wind has given a lot of lessons here in San Antonio!

try out the redfield spotting scope. they are made by leo-po and they rock. the optics are clear and pretty cheap. i can see the 22 out to 200 not much after that. just make sure you get a good tri pod. if you can swing it get an 80x

It goes to show... after shooting a 250-24X the other day, I went back to the same range seeing if I could do all X's. Wind was light... about 4 - 7 mph at 12 o'clock. I shot and 2 fell out of the ten ring.

The real trick is to shoot relatively early in the morning when the wind is at a minimum and it just doesn't make the major shifts that it does in the afternoon. I was facing a little less wind when I shot my 24X, but the key was the consistency of the wind... just a breeze with no gusting.

I am feeling like 25X is a possibility if I get the conditions just right. I would not have thought this possible when I started competing in this match a couple of years ago. Better ammo and a little better shooting chops have propelled me a long. It goes to show that you can never really max out your capability.

this is the most useful thread and it requires me to study it again. all i can add is that i can't determine the best combo of optics,ammo and gun for 100 yd shooting by shooting @ 100 yards. i drove myself nuts trying to get a good combo together for 100 by shooting @ 100 and spent a lot of time and $ and failed badly. i went back to 50yd and was fortunate to discover that the combo i had as last attempt shot v. well @ 50 if i concentrated. this gave me a bunch of input on technique and gear. i actually shoot this combo better @ 100 than any previously. i think that is a result of learning and a big increase in confidence knowing my stuff is right and if things are going poorly,it is me and i know what to work on.

Some thoughts after shooting the 50y and 100y matches, and 100rds practice after that:

Things I knew:
- I can't read the wind
- I should zero my gun for target ammo (it's zeroed for hunting ammo, and I hold off for some guesstimate value)
- my position and shot execution is kind of erratic
- 22LR ammo is kind of erratic also, though I've never tried the really expensive stuff

Things I learned:
- I could cope with a reasonable wind at 100y match, provided I can spot my shots on target (fire 5rds per target)
- at 50y match, the margin is so much smaller (on the shots that require precision) that wind really blows me off
- I really should zero my gun for target ammo! (and did zero for 50 meters)
- I should worry less and shoot faster on targets that don't require maximum precision on shot execution (either because margin is large, as in 50y match squares, or b/c other factors like wind and fatigue play a bigger role)
- you can get off a shot or two from difficult shooting positions (like slope), but in the end the position wears you off and you get sloppy -> strive for a good position even if you had to sacrifice something like distance to target (of course I knew this, but had forgot the real importance)
- the 22LR ammo really is erratic (this was mostly verified while training afterwards)
- I should clean my annie before the bolt gets sticky from bullet wax
- shooting only 22LR may introduce bad habits if you're not careful (and I was not)

I started shooting this SH rimfire comp to improve my skills for centerfire. I got so wrap up in shooting the 22lr that I did not fire my centerfire rifle for nearly 4 months. I am absolutely convinced that if you shoot your rimfire under the same conditions you would shoot your centerfire, it is an excellent training tool

I have been shooting 50-300 yards with 22 lr and it is really frustrating for me when I have a great round going and the wind kicks up and "eats my lunch". I wasn't sure how well this "rimfire training" would carry over to the centirefire, but I recently found out.

I took out my X-Ring Accuracy 300 WM and shot it at 750, 1000, and 1200 (furtherest distance I have ever shot). The wind was gusting 9-14 mph and it was kinda all over the place, but mostly out of the 7. I shot a 750 yard group that measured .310" < 1/2 MOA and a 1200 yard group (first time ever at this distance) and shot a 14.125" group 1.17 MOA. I attribute this type of shooting to the recent training I have been doing with the 22lr at 100-300 yards.

Reading the wind is still my biggest challenge. My guns will shoot and I can shoot fair on a given day, but learning to read and dope the wind is, IMHO what still separates me from the top shooters that can get first shot hits at 1000 yds in the wind.

If you are using you rimfire as a training tool for centerfire, be sure to shoot in the same conditions. As someone here with much more experience than I said, "You learn a lot more shooting a bad score on a windy day than you do shooting a great score with no wind".

Thanks to all of those here on the Rimfire Forum that freely and generously give of thier time and experience to help us new guys. Although I have been shooting here a few months, I still consider myself a "NEWBIE".

Aquabot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my bet is it's going to be you, (CARTER MAYFIELD), berga or aquabot that gets the elusive 25x.

if not it's still damn impressive what you guys do. </div></div>

I lost the bet, turns out it was NESIKABAY....100YP-TQ4...250-25X SEPT 2011

Sad thing was... it was in my grasp. I dropped one shot that was totally my fault outside of a 24-shot group that was well under an inch. Arrrrrgh! I am kicking myself.

I will get the elusive 25X one day.

Nesikabay is working on a 25X at 200 yds. I don't think it is possible, but we'll see. It took me 3 years to hit 250 points at 200 yds. I guess anything is possible if you work hard enough (or if you find the right ammo).

I don' t know if 25xat 200 is possible in wind. If you had an indoor 200 yard range then I think it is very possible. Personally shooting indoors just doesn't interest me.

Carter your 200 yard 250 18 x's and 100 yard 250 24 x's was just phenomenal. I assure you I would not be shooting the scores I am shooting now without Berga's help specifically and others as well. It is great when people with knowledge and experience are willing to share that with others.

Carter, your a Texas guy, where can I find some local, East Texas 22 matches to compete in? Carter take on the 200 yard 25 x challenge, I think you got it in you.

I miss Berga in the 300 yd match, a couple of you guys stretch on out here with me!! I promise it is a blast and a challenge.

Good shooting to all.

I need to try at 300. I haven't even attempted it yet.

I don't know about East Texas long range 22 matches, but If I lived anywhere near Houston, I would attend the Bayou Rifles F-class shoot once a month. Not RF, but a great opportunity to get some long range shooting in.

In fact, the reason that our long range 22 matches have been so successful is, I think, because of the lack of long range CF options here in central / south Texas.

If i had not been shooting indoors i dont think there is any way i could get a 25x25. I have been trying 200 with the ammo im using it wont happen. You guys that are shooting 250 with anything in the 20x range would clean it easly. Ive been able to get 15 to 17 x at 200. That is in prefect controled conditions. Im going to pull my scopes and put on sights. Until i can find the right 200 yard ammo. If you want to shoot 22 matches they shoot a monthly match in Mansfield, Tarrel and Davis OK

awefully admirable for nesikabay to note the 250 25x was indoors. he even asked that it be noted in his score - very big of him.

while an indoor range helps and is still is a factor, IMO it doesn't cheapen the achievement.

it's stuff like that that makes me think that if we all met in the "real world" that we'd all probably get along well. hell, i don't have relatives that honest.

I certainly did not mean to take anything away from Neiskabay's 25X score and I hope no one took it that way.

Indoors or out that is an awesome achievement. It is the first time anyone did it here and I am not sure if I could do it outside or inside.

Mansfield and Terrell, Texas?? Terrell is only about an hour and half from me and Mansfield 2 hours. Any information or contacts would be appreciated. Any idea what they shoot at each location?

Even indoors, your shooting has to be flawless to rack up 25 X's. It is no different than shooting in a calm wind, which is what some of us get to do from time to time, although there is really no such thing, in my experience, as a truly calm wind.

With these postal / Internet matches, we get to cherry pick our wind conditions, so it is not 100% fair. We had a stretch here in South Texas where the winds were 15+ mph for what seemed like two months straight. Obviously, I wasn't racking up a high x-count then.

For Mansfiels look up Arlington sportsman club. Terral i dont know who to talk to. Aquatic i took no offence i just wanted it to be known i shot it indoors. It is my feeling that if someone cleans a 100 yard outdoors it should be noted. I shoot rifle matches all over the US. There is no doubt that having an indoor range is an advantage. It also took 8 hours and i had to use a tuner. For some reason my rifle likes to throw shots at 4 to 5 oclock. A tuner cut it in half. It looks like ill be losing my indoor shooting soon its for sale. So if anyone has money to spend here ya go. All i can say is Carter made me do it. LOL

Not much to contribute to this thread so if you all want me to delete it I will. You guys mentioned an e. texas match. I am in Longview and would love to get one started along with a tactical match as well. Anyone near here that wants to get in on it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ITGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not much to contribute to this thread so if you all want me to delete it I will. You guys mentioned an e. texas match. I am in Longview and would love to get one started along with a tactical match as well. Anyone near here that wants to get in on it?

</div></div>

They shoot in Terral every month its a 160 shot match. I dont have the info but i can get it if you want. Send me a PM.

i pose this to you guys:

shall we reduce the round count in the long range comps from 25 to 10?

just 2 thoughts of why i ask:

after the 15th shot, the last 10 seems to get "old"

with the addition of the lucky 7 targets, this will give a person the usual 100 yd target, the lucky 7 100yd target, the usual 200 yd target and lucky 7 200 yd target able to be shot for 40 rounds + 10 sighters = 4 matches, only 1 box of ammo.

this is the first time trying to add a poll, it may not come out right. first pass will end DEC 31 2011 1159pm

I would not mind going to 20 round COF for the LR matches. Then if one wants to shoot all of them he could get it done with 80 rounds plus 20 sighters or two 50 round boxes.
10 rounds is not long enough to "suffer" in position. I voted for no change but would support 20 round matches. When I shoot the LR High Power Matches it's 20 round COF, so it would still be good practice.
Having said that 25 rounds is the standard for RF NRA matches.

only 6 votes on it, but twice as much for "NO" so with that sampling with the above input, unless it's brought up later in the year when more folks tend to shoot these comps more, it'll stay at 25, i just thought i'd throw it on the table.

might as well carry the 25 round COF over to the lucky 7 target, unless y'all want that one at 10 rounds.

What i have learned so far shooting the targets is that shooting from shoulder i am more consistent with my hits if i acquire my target, get my aim point and send the shot, vs trying to maintain the sight picture for a couple breath cycles. Seems i am able to get more consistent results this way. I am sure if i was shooting with bags all the time in the world could be taken as the aim barely moves, but shooting from shoulder is a different beast.

one thing i noticed over the last 2 months both at 100 and 200 going from the TQ4 and A21 to the L7 targets is that the groups got bigger.

the more defined aiming point center bullseye on the TQ4 and L7 seems to have my focus more than the L7 targets w/o a well defined bullseye center.

"aim small, miss small"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">one thing i noticed over the last 2 months both at 100 and 200 going from the TQ4 and A21 to the L7 targets is that the groups got bigger.

the more defined aiming point center bullseye on the TQ4 and L7 seems to have my focus more than the L7 targets w/o a well defined bullseye center.

"aim small, miss small" </div></div>

Agreed. When shooting 100 yards on a small target i can print under 2" for 20 rounds. put that L7 target out and i can not see the target center so the shots open up to close to 4-5"

Here is a good video on fitting the shooter's scope to their rifle and to themself.

Low Rings, as well as an adjustable cheek rest is all so important. I watched this video last night and realized just how much un-needed neck strain I was putting on myself from the prone position.

Fortunately I had a couple of low scope rings to change out my medium scope rings on my Savage MKII FVT. I also built my check rest up on my stock for a better "natural" alignment of my eye and scope.

Many of you are no doubt already aware of all this, but this video can sure be helpful to those who are not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COoXVpGfXQE&feature=related

TP,
Wondering what the diameter is for the Lucky 7 X and 7 ring is.I assume 1" for the X and 2" seven ring.If correct mine printed smaller and will affect the score.
Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heydogman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TP,
Wondering what the diameter is for the Lucky 7 X and 7 ring is.I assume 1" for the X and 2" seven ring.If correct mine printed smaller and will affect the score.
Thanks.</div></div>

i edited the printable target section to include the lucky 7's dimensions that are measurable and copied them below too.

RING SIZES:

100YD TQ-4
X Bull =1"
10 Ring =2" (.5" on each side from X)
1" space between the rest.
9 Ring = 4"
8 Ring = 6"
7 Ring = 8"
6 Ring = 10"
5 Ring = 12"

200YD A-21
X Bull = 2"
10 Ring =4" (1" space on each side from X)
2" Space between the rest)
9 Ring =8"
8 Ring = 12"
7 Ring = 16"

300YD MR-63
X Bull = 2.85"
10 Ring = 5.8" (1.5" space on each side from X)
1.5" Space from 10 to 9
9 Ring = 8.85"
1.5" Space from 9 to 8
8 Ring = 11.85"
3" Space from 8 to 7
7 Ring = 17.85"

<span style="font-weight: bold">Lucky 7 100 yard sizes </span>

7X ring....1"
7 ring.....2"
6 ring (oval) 3" wide x 3 1/4" high
5 ring (oval) 3.75" wide x 5" high
4/2 split ring (oval) 4.5" wide x 6" high

<span style="font-weight: bold">Lucky 7 200 yard sizes </span>

7X ring....2"
7 ring (oval) 3" wide x 3 1/4" high
6 ring (oval) 3.75" wide x 4.5" high
5/2 split ring (oval) 4.5" wide x 6" high

Heads are 8 3/8" high, 6 1/2" wide

A few of the lucky 7's rings (ovals) may be off less than 1/16" of an inch due to the resizing that goes on from the template, to the image hosting site, then to SH, then to your printer. It's hard to get them 100% exact.

New member here, and shot the TRC match today. I also shot the WBM50Y last weekend.

1.)The biggest problem that I have during these matches is developing "tunnel vision", staying in my scope and forgetting to pay attention to the wind. I find that when I put 5-7 rounds in my magazine, I tend to stay on the rifle and move on to the next target. It burned me twice on the What Bugs Me target. Both flies that I missed were due to not catching wind pick-ups. I was lucky, thinking back I didn't look at the flags, or pay attention to the wind at all during that magazine. It wasn't untill AFTER I lost points that I started to pay attention a little bit more. On the second stage of the TRC, number 14 (the last round of my first magazine) I almost missed because I was starting to do the same thing... ignoring the conditions. I was lucky that it cut the line, and I got 5 points for it, but it was almost out. After that I was watching the conditions before and after every shot. On stage 3 my group was pretty tight, by no means am I despleased with it, but it's horizontal spread is twice the vertical spread. This tells me that I'm not quite where I need to be at determining a consistent wind condition to shoot during. With a .22 LR, a 5 MHP wind at 3 or 9 will move the strike of the round 1/2 inch at 50 yds. If you're not on top off the wind, it's pretty easy to miss these tiny targets.

2.) Not really from these matches, but it is really easy to get spoiled using a bench/prone with a rear bag. That is the way that I've shot rifles exclusively in the past two years... mostly because I've been lazy. I shot a box drill on monday, trying to confirm scope issues, prone without the rear bag... and my groups were easily double what they normally are with a rear bag. That was pretty embarassing considering I hold an NRA XC High-Master card. I definitely need to get off the bench and practice the different positions.

3.) It helps to have good equipement. The rifle I've been shooting was a project rifle. The rifle itself is quite capable even though I have less than $200 in it. I decided to chance a BSA sweet 22 scope... I should have known better. Here is a box drill I shot today with it.

c058b8ef.jpg

I was having issues with my 50 yd zero wandering after shooting at 100 yds. Everytime I dialed "down" on my elevation turrent, my zero would be off quite a bit. If I don't touch my turrents it seems to hold zero ok, but that is far from a confidence builder. Everytime I pulled the trigger today I wasn't real confident in where that round would land. In the back of my mind I was thinking, "where is this one going to go?" I've got a new scope on the way. Hopefully I can get it mounted and sighted in expeditiously so that I can shoot some of the long rang comps this month.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i pose this to you guys:

shall we reduce the round count in the long range comps from 25 to 10?

just 2 thoughts of why i ask:

after the 15th shot, the last 10 seems to get "old"

with the addition of the lucky 7 targets, this will give a person the usual 100 yd target, the lucky 7 100yd target, the usual 200 yd target and lucky 7 200 yd target able to be shot for 40 rounds + 10 sighters = 4 matches, only 1 box of ammo.

this is the first time trying to add a poll, it may not come out right. first pass will end DEC 31 2011 1159pm </div></div>

I would kind of like for us to take another look at what Top Predator proposed (above) earlier. The more I think about this, the more I like it. 10 rounds on each target above seems reasonable to me. I don't shoot the Luck 7 targets, but I do like the idea of shooting 10 shots at 100 yards, 10 shots at 200 yards, and then if I were (or someone else as well) was to shoot - 10 @ 100 yds (TQ4) prone, then 10 @ 100 yds (TQ4) bench, and the same with the 200 yard (A21) 10 shots prone, 10 shots bench,,, for me this works for those 40 shots as well as practicing from two shooting disciplines. I'd probably be more apt to throw another rifle into my van for shooting the 25 shot 25 yard 4 position target on the same day as I shoot the long range stuff.

Winter's coming on so maybe doing a re'think on some of our comps heading into 2013, may not be a bad idea?