• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LEARNINGS FROM SH SHORT RANGE RF COMPETITIONS

Re: LEARNINGS FROM SH SHORT RANGE RF COMPETITION

The new round 1 round 2 is cool with me. The combo class is also. I just think if you shoot that way, you should describe what you used (red dot, laser, irons, etc.). Different scope magnification settings also allow to show where you are skill wise. Even with the matches we shoot now I usually post what scope I used and what the magnification setting was.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new round 1 round 2 is cool with me. The combo class is also. I just think if you shoot that way, you should describe what you used (red dot, laser, irons, etc.). Different scope magnification settings also allow to show where you are skill wise. Even with the matches we shoot now I usually post what scope I used and what the magnification setting was. </div></div>

SBS, we do keep track of what they use in the Combo Class.

The guy that won that Class shot his first round with an original Peep on an old Mossberg training rifle, then went to his heavy barrel Ruger 10/22 that carried a Simmons 3-9x40 scope for his 2nd Round of targets.

In a way, the Combo Class is like an unlimited Class to shoot in with any combination of sights. We kind of figure that those that want to get in an equipement race to win a Class will either do it there (in the Combo Class), or in the Scope Class.

When you think about it, he probably would have been better off to stay with the Peep Sight Mossberg. At least he had a round under his belt with that. He did improve however with the scope in the 2nd round; 1st Rnd - 10/15, 2nd Rnd 12/15...
smile.gif

well as far as the 4p goes, i was generally happy with the regular side scores and groups - especially the sitting position. found something usefull by using more forearm on the inside of the leg and addressing the stock at the same upward angle that the leg is at.

4p support side - while still improving on the support side, still pulling to the right and low. at least the groups are not as erratic as they once were on the support side, and i am getting way more comfortable shooting support side and wouldn't hestitate to do so with high confidence of success.

50YD TRC

i think i "psyched" myself out. unable to have the time between holidays and hunting to try to weed out the bad rounds in the ammo issues i had going on, i let the misfires and failures to extract get me out of my rhythm, make me frustrated, and blew a few shots.

i noticed too on the 100 yard target that the rounds that where not ejecting landed in erratic POI from the ones that worked fine.

my scores are going to suck until i get this ammo issue cleared up, and hopefully will be soon.

Re: LEARNINGS FROM SH SHORT RANGE RF COMPETITIONS

I haven't shot outdoor rimfire, but competed for 6 years 3 and 4 position shooting indoor 50 ft, when in high school and college. I didn't drop many shots and was pretty decent.

Standard things such as cheek weld, a gun that fits etc are very important, but I had pretty good form, so after those I looked at other things that helped me.

Stretch and get loosened up a bit before a match, especially kneeling.

Follow THROUGH, I have lost many matches because of dropping a shot on offhand. It would land as a 6 directly below the bullseye.

Make sure everything is prepared and LEAVE EARLY. Its funny how the little things break your concentration. Thinking about running late always messed up my mind, or getting to a match late and then having to play the hurry up. Keep your routine the same, and match scores will go up, at least it helped for me.

Relax and have fun. Shooting is fun, but it became a job after awhile for me which is why I stopped competing in that discipline. For the first 5 years I had fun and scores were good, that last year, I didn't enjoy it as much and scores dropped because of it.

^^^ found those tips to be a big help with the 25 yd 4p

1. stretching helps (especially for the kneeling position as mentioned above)

2. time - make sure you have enough so you are not rushed = dropped shots. (as mentioned above)

3. follow through - i was doing the 25 yd and got confident both at the regular and support side, so am now doing the 50yd 4p as that extra 25yds reveals that there is more work to be done. shooting the july 2011 match definately shown i was dropping the muzzle when squeezing the trigger, not following through as much i should. hopefully i can get more consistant at 50 then do the support side at 50yds.

the support side at 25 definately brought back reminders of the fundamentals i was taking for granted or simply not employing - shooting "backwards" brought those glitches up pretty quick.

i'm also working on 1 or 2 eyes open, what works better for me -focusing on the crosshairs as it hovers over the bull (like a front site on a pistol) or focusing more on the bull and squeeze as the crosshairs cover it.

was also thinking of trying to put the crosshairs on the target at the 6:00 position and adjust the elevation .5", using the point of aim / sight picture just like a pistol.

I am completely new to the 4p shooting. me and my buddies just always paper punch and shot steel from prone bipod and bench. That got old so I wanted to try this. It was very challengeing. I definitlty need to do it more. I am all about a challenge and improving myself.
What brand of sling do you all use? i had ordered a triple K mmilitary sling from cabelas. Not the greatest im sure but seems to fair ok for a beginner such as myself.

As for my learnings. I feel that the holds will improve with time as well as the feel of the motion and knowing where the reticle will fall next. But it all seems to come down to the basic fundamentals of all shooting. Funadmentals must be good for you to start this. They need to be instinct instead of thought. that way you can focus on everything else instead of focusing on not slapping the trigger and such.

What did I learn?

1. Shooting these rimfires is the one of the best ways to develop your shooting form.

2. Getting your rounds in a quarter, nickle or a dime size target at 50yds requires concentration and focus.

3. To take my time, be aware of trigger control. and cheek weld.

Hi everyone. New Hide member here, been lurking for a month or two, trying to learn a bit. Shot the 25yd 4p using my S&W M/P 15-22 today with open A-2 irons. I don't think these count as a peep sight.
Thoughts - We always go to the range trying to see 'what'll she do?' we always want to see how awesome whatever new thing we just bought is. So, we shoot it from a bench, or sandbags, or whatever, to eliminate the 'human error', and validate our decision to buy a kick ass new gun. Shooting this 4p is for real. I tried it, and it amazed me how much harder it is to actually shoot a rifle, than just pressing the button on an expensive machine in a sandbag.
The M&P is actually a neat little rifle. I bought it as an AR trainer, because it's the only one of the '22 ARs' with all the buttons in the right places. I have been pleasantly surprised at what a great shooter it is. It's very light, and quite accurate, although I haven't scoped it to see just how accurate (yet). Thanks for the challenge, and I hope to challenge somebody else out there to improve their 'real' shooting skills.

Hi everyone. New Hide member here, been lurking for a month or two, trying to learn a bit. I've mostly been an action shooter, pistol/carbine/LE type stuff, and LR game is pretty new to me. Shot the 25yd 4p using my S&W M/P 15-22 today with open A-2 irons. I don't think these count as a peep sight.
Thoughts - We always go to the range trying to see 'what'll she do?' we always want to see how awesome whatever new thing we just bought is. So, we shoot it from a bench, or sandbags, or whatever, to eliminate the 'human error', and validate our decision to buy a kick ass new gun. Shooting this 4p is for real. I tried it, and it amazed me how much harder it is to actually shoot a rifle, rather than just pressing the button on an expensive machine in a sandbag.
The M&P is actually a neat little rifle. I bought it as an AR trainer, because it's the only one of the '22 ARs' with all the buttons in the right places. I have been pleasantly surprised at what a great shooter it is. It's very light, and quite accurate, although I haven't scoped it to see just how accurate (yet). Thanks for the challenge, and I hope to continue playing, and challenging myself to improve my 'real' shooting skills.

Welcome to the competitions TenZero. I will be looking forward to seeing your scores posted, regrets here for not checking in more often.

Last summer a used anschutz 64 became avaliable for a nice price.
It has the sporter stock, handstop rail, adjustable trigger, and oversize bolt knob.
After the finacial shock of the rifle purchase it was December before funds were there for a DIP 20 MOA rail and Vortex viper 6.5X20 scope.
Really want Burris signature rings but the 30mm ones all seem to have become extinct.
Finally fired a few shots to verify the crosshair and bore are square.
Now dealing with home made sliding handstop/harris bipod interface.
All indications are that this is going to be a real shooter.
Giving some serions thought to cutting the barrel back from somewhwere around 22" to something just over 16" and stippling the stock on the bottom of forend and pistol grip
Look for some scores to be posted in the 25Y 4P and 50 Y TRC in the next couple months.
Look out guys, this thing has cold bore reliability that my 10-22
just does not posses.

not good news for me, you and i are always neck and neck every month.

congrats on the obvious upgrade, i too am now looking to get an upgraded rifle from the MKII (probably a CZ 453 or 455 and considering biting the bullet and building a 40x as funds allow) but also considering another cheapie (22XTVR).

much like yourself, i think i'm limiting myself with the present equipment.

I really do want to start working on support side with the bolt gun. But I still suffer from the inability to buy high quality 22 ammo, it's not that I would loose my home or go hungry from the expense, I'm just to damm cheap.

First shots for competition fired today with the new rifle.
I have every intention of pulling the scope off again so did not want to waste good ammo.
The bipod still is wobbly and gets worse with use.
I fired the match anyway because I was at the range the temp was decent, might not get that again in January this year.
First three stages went well when I got to the know your limits, I was thinking that there were none!
Sadly mistaken here!
Then those darn hostages, two of them have 22 cal ear peircings,
The bad guy got it in the eye too, but touching the line is touching the line.
Finally found a set of burris signature zee rings today, they will be installed before next trip to the range.

well over the last few months, i just plainly didn't have enough time to do the 4P comps. today i found out how much i forgot while shooting the 4P and 4PSS, and was very let down with myself, especially with the offhand and silhouette season opening up locally next month.

muscle memory and little position nuances are HUGE (especially offhand, kneeling, and sitting, and easier (at least for me) to forget as compared to prone.

toward the fall of last year i thought i had it licked, now it seems i'm starting from scratch.

so keep up on ALL of your shooting positions, it's easy to get rusty at them even after a short break.

Those scores are not so bad when compared to other 50 yard scores.
They do tend noticeably lower than 25 yard scores.

much like back in february, i got away from the 4P for awhile and did 25 yards instead of 50 for a confidence booster and to get back on track with the 4P.

noticed my support side scores the last 2 months where higher than my strong side. possibly due to paying more attention to what i'm doing and double checking the fundamentals on the support side as it was a little awkward.

next month going to try less for bonus points, either hit or clean miss the target either on TRC or WBM. getting greedy costs if the hit doesn't land right. rather have 0 points on a stage than negative points on a stage.

I've been shooting 25yd 4psn almost exclusively lately. The biggest thing I've learned is to stop and breathe if I'm wobbling too much, if I don't settle the crosshairs down soon enough, to not push the shot, basically. IOW, don't shoot just to stop having to concentrate on a particular shot.

Take a few breaths, close my eyes, blink a few times. And do that between every couple of shots, too. Then, get my head back in position, position basics, and put the shot where it goes.

Been experimenting with timing, also - breathing mechanics, crosshairs creeping up the bull, break the shot as it hits the x ring.

One thing I learned was that I would have been much better off starting with .22 comps to get my skills up, them move to high power, cost a lot less and I think the end result is better. Spend the money on your .22, compete with it, and then see if you need to burn more powder.

Gruff

My sons and I shot the TACTICAL RIMFIRE COMPETITION target this morning for the first time. It was very humbling! We are coming over from USPSA shooting for the last several years so this is all new. We got a Savage FVSR and put it in a Boyd's Hunter stock with a Harris BP. We shot off a make shift bench (workmate with plywood screwed the top)Of course the boys out shot me, but we've all got a lot to learn. Tomorrow we'll try prone and see how it goes.

I definitely have to spend more time in this thread. You guys have a wealth of knowledge.