• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leave AICS Mags Loaded?

kmc0929

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2009
North Carolina
Any reason why AICS 5rd/10rd mags would be any different than standard ar/ak mags, i.e.) can they be left loaded for extended periods of time?

Re: Leave AICS Mags Loaded?

my thoughts are no , i rotate my carry pistol mags. and i see no reason to leave prec.rifle mags loaded. if you actually NEEDED a round chambered that fast,you should single feed like you would in a match if all mags run dry

again just my opinion

I do leave AR and pistol mags loaded for years at a time and have never had a problem. I don't have the need to do that in an aics or aw mag so I don't. I don't see why you couldn't though. What is your idea of extended?

Stacey Blankenship would be a good one to ask.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kmc0929</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any reason why AICS 5rd/10rd mags would be any different than standard ar/ak mags, i.e.) can they be left loaded for extended periods of time? </div></div>

I have not noticed any issues in the duty mags for my AI. I can't imagine why a system designed as a combat rifle would have problems with leaving magazines loaded.

I always have one magzine loaded in the rifle bolt open safety on.
To many foxes/coyotes/varmints around not to.
But i do rotate the magzine once a month.

I've been using the same 10rd AICS magazines for four years. It's been kept loaded with 10 rounds, in the rifle, bolt closed and I've never had an issue with it feeding reliably.

I wouldn't worry too much about leaving them loaded all day at a match, or even all weekend.

But why leave them loaded while they're sitting at home? If your bolt gun is your home defense weapon you may want to buy a Glock
wink.gif

If you have a need to leave them loaded, do it and don't worry about it.

If you have no need, why do it?

I've left mine loaded for a month at time before, no issues.

Like LoneWolf said; if it's designed for combat, I wouldn't think there would be an issue.

I leave a loaded 5 round mag in my 6.5x47 which sits right next to my bedroom window, which overlooks the field behind my house.
I only put 4 in it to not stress the springs as much, actually I do that with all my mags, I put 25 in my 30 round AR mags and 7 in my 8 round 1911 mags.
Like it was said earlier thier's way too many coyotes running around here to not leave it loaded.
Quite a few times I've woken up to let the dogs out and seen a coyote trotting across the feild.

I keep a 5 rounder loaded all the time, never an issue. I'd question any mag spring that couldn't handle being loaded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kmc0929</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any reason why AICS 5rd/10rd mags would be any different than standard ar/ak mags, i.e.) can they be left loaded for extended periods of time? </div></div>

I have not noticed any issues in the duty mags for my AI. I can't imagine why a system designed as a combat rifle would have problems with leaving magazines loaded. </div></div>

WHat he said. They are meant for a combat system. Should be pretty damn reliable.

As for recommendations, I don't know of any manufacture which would recommend leaving a magazine or weapon loaded. However, as many have stated, these magazines are designed for combat and tactical applications. Loading a magazine means the obvious, you are ready to for the good fight on whichever front it may be. For military and LE, loaded magazines are a way of life and second nature. They can be called up for action at any time any place. Even these professionals will unload and swap out magazines on a regular basis for relax the magazines to prolong life and reliability. If you are the weekend, competition or hobby shooter, then obviously this does not apply and most would always recommend loading magazines when required, unloading magazines when not required and always maintain safe/clear and clean weapon systems. The one thing to remember as well is that a "magazine" is a detachable device for loading ammunition into the host weapon not a storage device. Hope this helps and have a great weekend to all.

This issue comes up regularly on pistol and semi-auto rifle forums. In terms of metallurgy what wears out a spring is cycling (i.e. loading and unloading) in other words...use. Leaving a mag loaded (spring compressed) will have no more effect on the life of the spring than leaving it unloaded (spring relaxed) since neither condition involves cycling. There is no reason, in terms of spring life, to short load by a round (or more) as again no cycling is involved; the spring will be equally happy (and have equal lifespan) whether the mag is kept empty or fully loaded.

FWIW rotating mags also does nothing to extend spring life and may actually decrease it if the mags are loaded and unloaded more often than they otherwise would be.

+1 Prolonged static compression on a quality tempered spring has far less fatique or wear on the spring VS the repeated action of compression and relaxation.

In the case of any mag, I would worry more about the integrity of the feedlips vs. leaving the mag spring compressed.

in my experience not cleaning magazines can cause more problems, on tour we had more problems with sand and dust getting in magazines.