• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leave powder in the thrower

HotIce

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2006
USA
After you done reloading a caliber, do you leave the powder in the thrower?

Re: Remove powder from thrower

I never leave any powder in the thrower. I don't know if I'm just paranoid or what, but I don't feel comfortable leaving any powder just sitting out.

It depends on the powder type. Try leaving Titegroup in a powder dumper for a week, and tell me what you think! It will be stuck on all surfaces inside and very difficult to get off.
And, your question doesn't specify a time limit. Sometimes I'll leave a powder in the hopper for several weeks, if it's a good ball powder. But eventually change it out.

Actually, it doesn't take weeks for TiteGroup to stick into the plastic cylinder. It sticks immediately!
smile.gif

But IMO that's static electricity, no?

Always remove powder from thrower. That way there is a minimal chance of contaminating powder with other powders.

Did it once a long time ago. I think it pressed ball (WW 452AA back when I was using shotgun powder for .45ACP), returned a week later to find it adhearing to the plastic of the hopper. Tough to clean. Now it goes back into the jug when I'm through.

RT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After you done reloading a caliber, do you remove the powder from the thrower?
</div></div>

This is trick question HotIce. In the box where you vote it asked if you leave powder in the measure. Which question are we supposed to vote on? You are just testing us to see if we can follow directions, right?
wink.gif

Back in the can it goes. I don't have a whole lot of powders and I make sure that the can for the powder in the hopper is the ONLY one on the bench. However if I am going to be done loading for that load, then I break everything down and put it away. I load in my garage and I don't really want the powder exposed to the environment longer than necessary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg264</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After you done reloading a caliber, do you remove the powder from the thrower?
</div></div>

This is trick question HotIce. In the box where you vote it asked if you leave powder in the measure. Which question are we supposed to vote on? You are just testing us to see if we can follow directions, right?
wink.gif
</div></div>
Whoops, just realized that
blush.gif

Fixed it, but now we don't know where the votes went.

I prefer to keep my powder in a sealed can/jug, and expose it to atmospheric humidity no longer than is absolutely necesary for actual handloading.

Greg

I will when making loads using the same powder for up to a week at a time.
have not had any issues.
Bill

The first time you dump the wrong powder you might decide its best not to do that anymore. To many powders that look alike and no reason to risk dumping the wrong one. Every single time i use it it goes right back in no matter how busy i am. Now if you only own one type of powder then there is probably no reason to dump it if you use it enough. But greg has a good point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer to keep my powder in a saled can/jug, and expose it to atmospheric humidity no longer than is absolutey necesary for actual handloading.

Greg </div></div>

+1... Again I agree with Greg. Also the longer it's open to the air the more of the solvents evaporate from the powder. It will also change weight if left open.

Not only will powder eventually discolor the measure's clear plastic hopper tube it's against the "rules", the rules of safety!

None of us know when we leave for work if we will ever return or how long it may take. One clear day it took me a full month to get home (bad auto accident) and more months before I got back to the bench; that had NOT been my plan for that day!

Clearing powder from the measure is easy, inexpensive and insures that you and anyone else with access to your loading bench has a clear field and clean powder to work with next time. Meaning, it's safe.

The interaction of the powder and the plastic of the hopper can contaminate the powder to the point that the burn rate can be affected. Might take a while, but I take no chances. Back into the original container it goes.

Light exposure, I can obviously agree (unless not properly covered).
Humidity can be definitely a problem, in areas when humidity is indeed a problem.
But you'd think that the plastic with which a <span style="text-decoration: underline">powder</span> measure container is made, would be inert to powder in the same way the plastic of the original jug is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer to keep my powder in a saled can/jug, and expose it to atmospheric humidity no longer than is absolutey necesary for actual handloading.</div></div>

This is the only correct answer.

Always back in container for all the reason listed.

You hear about experienced reloaders using the wrong powder and blowing stuff up, Not a risk I am willing to take. One powder at a time on the reloading bench. After 15 years of reloading, it still get have to double check everything before I seat a bullet.

To easy to make a small mistake at the reloading bench to become a VERY BIG mistake at the shooting bench!

I only load with varget and bullseye. So mixing powders up won't happen. But I used to leave bullsye in my Dillon. But now all my componets get locked up in a old VHS tape cabinet. Too Many little hands around the house lately and I remember my actions as a kid....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It depends on the powder type. Try leaving Titegroup in a powder dumper for a week, and tell me what you think! It will be stuck on all surfaces inside and very difficult to get off.
</div></div>

Power Pistol eats into the green plastic hopper of an RCBS Uniflow powder measure.
Once it is scraped off, the clear green is then translucent green.

back into the container always.. keeps moisture and other crap out and just a safer feel good thing

I only have one thrower so I dump it right after Im done, I reload another and repeat till I have no brass to load

For all my rifle and precision reloading I always put my powder straight back in the box when I'm finished.

I have a Dillion which is just setup for my 9mm and I never worry about putting it away but that is all I load on it and accuracy isn't too much of a concern. I often wondered if the powder would be affected but I've had it sitting there for months and never noticed any difference in the performance of the loads.

I use a lot of powders with a lot of different calibers. Having the wrong powder go into a case is very, very bad. I got in that habit just so I wouldn't make that mistake. I have had to dump the last of a powder out because I didn't put the powder back and forgot what I put in there. And, I put the dies away so I couldn't track what I put in.

Now, I not only put the powder back when I'm done, but I have the can of powder up where I'm throwing/weighing powder so I specifically remember which powder it is.

Edit:

Anytime your powder is going to be exposed to heat and especially humidity, you should get it back into it's sealed container as soon as possible.

When my reloading set-up was out in my garage, I could really tell the difference in powder when I loaded in high humidity. Those loads will continue to break down over time even when loaded. Now I load in one of the downstairs rooms (kids moved out) where the humidity is low and so is the temperature. Makes it really nice to load now.

Good practice to replace it to its original and properly labelled container.

This should prevent any hassles/injuries/explosions/deaths in the future

laugh.gif

Never, never, never, ever, ever, ever, keep more than one type of powder and its associated container(s)on your loading bench at any one time. After decades of handloading, I still managed to screw up with this one in just this past month.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never, never, never, ever, ever, ever, keep more than one type of powder and its associated container(s)on your loading bench at any one time. After decades of handloading, I still managed to screw up with this one in just this past month.

Greg</div></div>

It probably won't be my last screw up either...I'm really hoping I don't get dialed on something and cause "The big one". The fear keeps me honest.

Re: Leave powder in the thrower

Depends on how long of a break I'm taking. If I'm done loading for a while (ie I'm out of brass or other components) I put everything away in the proper containers. If I'm just stopping for the night or so I'll leave it sit. Our house is a child free zone so there is no one around to get curious about playing with the explosives.

I actually throw/weigh my charges in a different room from the press which is in a different place from where I store the bulk primers and powders. I've got a portable setup on a sheet of wood I carry into the living room and setup on the coffee table. I weigh out powder charges and put them in the cases while 'watching' TV with the wife. When I've got 40 or so rounds ready I go into the other room where the press is and set the bullets and bring the empty loading block back. I get ammo loaded and get brownie points with the wife for spending 'quality time' with her. Good setup if you can get it.

Also as a psuedo-safety measure I never move the 8 lb jugs of powder around or keep them around the loading area. I've got 1 lb jugs of the various powders I use and I just half fill those from the 8 lb jugs so if there is ever a spill (or explosion) due to some incident in the loading area it's going to be 1/8th the size it could be and there aren't other things around that could go up with it.

Greg has got it. After 55 years of reloading, I think I've got it...never more than one can on the bench. Ever. I have some blue masking tape that I write the powder name on and stick it on the jug...when using that powder, I stick it from the jug onto the measure. The Idea of half pint powders is a good one. I think I'll implement that suggestion. Thanks, Jayne. I also store my big containers in an approved wooden box out in the dog pen. Doesn't worry the firemen that way. JMHO

If I happen to leave my powder in the thrower I try to leave the powder can out and next to the reloader. I made the mistake of dumping in new powder on top of what I though was an empty thrower only to find out there was still a little bit of different powder in the bottom in it. Not only did I feel like an ass it was a pain in the ass.

I voted NO.

A friend left the powder in the measure and when I showed her how to change calibers, the powder was a brick. I had to use a piece of dowel to loosen it up.

I generally put the powder back in the proper container, so that I don't forget what it was.
That Being said, I am currently sitting on some powder in my pistol reloading set-up that I didn't remove (been there a year) I will throw it out the next time I reload with that station. SScott