• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LED lights in my reloading press for about $20

lexluther

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2009
Redding, CA
The lights in the room where I reload are terrible for reloading. I have just a standard ceiling fan light in a small bedroom and I couldnt see what I was doing under the shadow created by me or the press. I should probably sell these, but I have decided to post it as the whole point of reloading is to save money...

Here are the pictures of the finished product
Improvedview.jpg

In this picture, there are no other lights on in the room.
RoomLightsoff.jpg

Viewofall15bulbs.jpg

Withatoolhead.jpg

Lightsonwithoutatoolhead.jpg

Here are the before (or at least lights off) pictures

Withatoolhead2.jpg

Before2.jpg

Here are some more details on how.
These are the lights, you can cut the string where marked, every 3rd light.

WW_LED_Stripe1.jpg

I ordered mine from a guy on ebay, not sure if the forum rules here will let me post his link, but you can pm me for it.

The rest is basically layout. the lights are adhesive backed, the connections are soddered and all the terminals / connections are covered in shrink wrap. You can run them from a battery pack of 8 AA batteries (available at Radio Shack for about $3. Mine run on an adapter that I found that puts out 12V (really any 12v adapter will work, so find an extra laying around and use it). I cut the end off the adapter and used its own wire for most of my project wire. I added an inline switch to the cord in back of the press (mostly because I had it on hand).

The lights are directional, but I am thinking of adding a strip down the closest arm of the frame. The nice thing about these, is that they stay with the frame rather than trying to shine down through the toolhead hole.

Enjoy.

Re: LED lights in my reloading press for about $20

Outstanding idea!

Would love to see some more details on how you attached it and some links on where to order this stuff. Heck, you should sell a kit
smile.gif

A guy on Enos' forum did something similar to solve the primer jumping out of the blue bin. He eventually sold a kit which was awesome!

I got the lights on ebay, seller name "ledlands"

The light strips are adhesive backed...I just cleaned the press with rubbing alcohol and peel and stick...the rest is zip ties to route the wires down safely.

I thought about selling a 90% kit so you could use your own battery pack from radio shack, or user your own power supply. If I did it, I think i could sell just the 9 lights for $10, but for now, I am just as happy to help you all DIY. There is a guy who sells a strip of 6 lights on THR with an adapter for $29.

Now that's a good idea. I have the same problem and I might try something loke this too.

Ha. That is probably the most practical LED hack I have ever seen. Looks great! I think I have some LEDS left from another project that I might be able to use. Thanks for the idea.

Chickenlites on a reloading press, I love it. Can't wait to see it on a red press!

Love this. I'm ordering mine now. What a great application!

Do you know if you got the 5050 or the 3528 brightness?

What exactly would one search for if they wanted to find lights like that?

For those who build from scratch,I have made 3 short videos:
1) How to measure the Voltage requirement of an LED
2) How to measure the Voltage of the power source.
3) How to calculate the ballast resistance to drive the LED.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zPW8C4ZNehY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zPW8C4ZNehY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1YXSszyQTWk"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1YXSszyQTWk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AWRwD7I_bas"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AWRwD7I_bas" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

You would search for "LED Strip Cool White 5M 3528 SMD 300" I think 300 is the number of leds on a 15' string, so id you eliminate the 300, you will get results for longer and theoretically shorter strings.

Clark - you are way advanced...I think I understand the application for stand-alone leds, I messed with them once making "led throwies"
http://www.instructables.com/id/LED-Throwies/

These leds are super small, like 3mm square which is partly what makes them perfect for this application. With the led strip, the resistor is built into the strip so the calculations are not needed. Every three lights on the strip is a complete unit with a resistor built in. The only thing needed to run these is a 12v power supply from an adapter or battery pack of 8AA batteries.

Regarding what to look for in a power supply / adapter (wall wort). I have used 3 wall worts and one battery pack to run anywhere from 3 to 300 of these leds on one run...they all seem to light these just as good as another. The battery pack of 8 AA batteries runs a full string 15' (300) led in my gun safe. One of the wall worts was a "Universal", the others where just lying around, one came from a garage sale....the only thing I looked for that they had in common was that the output was 12 volts. I would certainly say that its not worth going out and purchasing an adapter unless you get it at a garage sale for a buck. If you are concerned, you can always clip the plug off and leave a few inches so that it can be put back on if necessary.

One more tip...if you need some suitable wire, take a look at that string of christmas lights you just tossed in the trash...

That's cool. I dunno why, but when I saw the title of the post I was imagining your press dun up with those gay neon lights that kids put under their rice burner cars.

Works like a charm. I also did the inside of the safe with the left-over string and battery pack from RadioShack.
IMAG0164.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

IMAG0165.jpg

Wow that looks great. It looks like by " folding" the corners
You were able to cram a lot more lights Up there. Thanks for
Sharing the pics!

You guys should post your pics, or at least a link, over in the Reloading section on AR15.com.

I'll link this post there, if you want?

There are a lot of good guys over there that would love to see both of yours' work.

Chris

Yes we should post this there but the mods on arfcom are total jerks so screw those guys! We would probably be violating some vendor on their form and that's all they're about is the vendors

led1.jpg

Gun safe is next.

Terry

Tbone40x, did you use the 8 AA pack?

led2.jpg

This will be a very useful addition to my Dillon 550B - that and a small mirror will allow me to insure that I didn't have a senior moment and neglect to drop a powder charge. I've only done that <span style="font-style: italic">once</span> in <span style="font-style: italic">many</span> thousands of rounds, but that was once too many!

I see how this is useful, but I can't help but thinking of neon lights under the chassis of a Ford Ranger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see how this is useful, but I can't help but thinking of neon lights under the chassis of a Ford Ranger. </div></div>

This guy started it, I was thinking hanging some fuzzy dice over it would be cool also.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see how this is useful, but I can't help but thinking of neon lights under the chassis of a Ford Ranger. </div></div>
Awe come on! I bit my tongue and didn't say anything!
smile.gif

Here is what I was thinking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro4yhp9L6Ok

Merry Christmas all!

Great thread. I got a reason to go to radio shack now.

Finally had a chance to play around with these LEDs. I got the battery pack from RS and also found a power supply plug with a 12V 750mA output laying around the house. I did notice that there was a pretty big difference in brightness between the two, but that may be due to one of the batteries being a little low. I'll have to get some fresh ones to confirm. Great inexpensive product with a multitude of uses.
smile.gif

Just put some on my Hornady LNL. Went on pretty easy. Nice addition.
HornadyLNLLEDLights3.jpg

HornadyLNLLEDLights-Copy.jpg

HornadyLNLLEDLights2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lex Luther</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The lights in the room where I reload are terrible for reloading. I have just a standard ceiling fan light in a small bedroom and I couldnt see what I was doing under the shadow created by me or the press. I should probably sell these, but I have decided to post it as the whole point of reloading is to save money...
Here are the pictures of the finished product
waterproof led spot
12vdc dimmer
inline led dimmer
In this picture, there are no other lights on in the room.

Here are some more details on how.
These are the lights, you can cut the string where marked, every 3rd light.
I ordered mine from a guy on ebay, not sure if the forum rules here will let me post his link, but you can pm me for it.

The rest is basically layout. the lights are adhesive backed, the connections are soddered and all the terminals / connections are covered in shrink wrap. You can run them from a battery pack of 8 AA batteries (available at Radio Shack for about $3. Mine run on an adapter that I found that puts out 12V (really any 12v adapter will work, so find an extra laying around and use it). I cut the end off the adapter and used its own wire for most of my project wire. I added an inline switch to the cord in back of the press (mostly because I had it on hand).

The lights are directional, but I am thinking of adding a strip down the closest arm of the frame. The nice thing about these, is that they stay with the frame rather than trying to shine down through the toolhead hole.

Enjoy. </div></div>
grin.gif
sick.gif
led strip!

suburb idea. i will check all electronics.com for there price there. there good people to deel with.....

I got them from this guy seller name "ledlands"
I used him because he was U.S. based, and I didnt want to wait for shipping from the orient. I have used Ebay to get stuff from hongkong or china many times without any trouble.

I used the same lights with a battery pack and roller switch for my gunsafe.

Here is a link to one of his auctions

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Strip-Cool-W...=item3f0bea27ea

Solid deal. I just purchased the strand of LEDs off Ebay and will add to the interior of my safe and most likely to my press as well. Thank you for the idea Lex

I checked all electronics. Don't bother with them. Their prices are higher than camel cock...