• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lee breech lock system

KE5MUJ

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2009
New Waverly,TX
I see now that Lee has the breech lock system on their Classic cast single stage press. I have the regular classic cast press and am thinking of a way to help speed up die changeout/setup. I have had zero complaints on it and it seems to be built like a tank.

I have read not so good things about the anniversary presses that use the breechlock system, but they mostly have been related to the press build quality.

Is this worth a look? I am concerned about how precise the dies remain after being changed out a few times and the strength of the breech lock system.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/...ockclassic.html

Re: Lee breech lock system

I have one. I use it exclusively for rifle round production. It is built like a tank and very accurate loads can be made with ease. I have mine mounted on 2x4s so I can C-clamp it to the dining room table and reload as needed. No wobble noticed in using this system when operating the press.

As for the dies changing when being taken out, it doesn't happen. They stay nice and tight in the breech lock bushings. I have had mine for about 3 years and haven't had any issues.

Hope this helps.

I use one and it is a good press and i like the breech lock system my only complaint is that the bushing lip is so short when removing i always seem to twist my dies and i have to reset them. I am about to just use a wrench to tighten them down and call it good. other than that it is a solid press

edit: also for the primers to feed right into the tube as shown you have to have the auto primer insert installed on the ram or it throws primers everywhere. but its not a big deal

The Lee Classic Breech-lock has the same spent primer system as the original (aluminum) breech-lock press, and is not as effective as the Lee Classic Cast or Classic Turret's system that routes primers all they way down through the ram and into a tube.

If you already have the Lee Classic Cast, just get Hornady's LNL press conversion kit. Then you can use the LNL bushings instead. They've been around and proven a lot longer than the breech lock bushings, and are compatible with other presses too, including the RCBS RC, Redding Big Boss, Big Boss II, Ultramag, and of course Hornady LNL classic and LNL AP progressive. The breech-lock system is not compatible with any non-Lee presses.

Andy

I bought the BR press after trying one out at a friends house.We mounted the press,adjusted the die and had some .260 rem rounds loaded in about an hour's time.Then we set the press up for 308 and 300 WM.The primer feed system works good,except for the last primer.I drop it into my hand and put it into the primer cup.I don't size and prime in the same step.When I FL size/deprime,I use a modified(IE:I broke it) primer seating arm that I cut the primer cup off of.If you size/deprime without the primer arm in place,the ejected primers won't be diverted into the tube and will fall all over the place.
I use the press for .223,260,308,30.06,300WM and.338LM.The only parts you'll have to change for each caliber change,is the shell holder and the primer feed system/primer seating Arm for LR or SR Primers.With the die all dialed in already,it takes less than 2 minutes to be ready to load for another caliber.Buy enough BL bushings for all of the die that you plan to use.Without enough bushings,you might as well get a single stage press.All of my turret and single stage presses have been collecting dust since I got the BL press.I bought a spare press from Natchesz last year.They had the best price for the press,but they didn't have any bushings in stock.Good Luck,
STEVE