• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lee collet die and shoulder bump die question

I've been using the Lee collet die in conjunction with a Redding body die for a few months now and so far I'm really satisfied with performance. Previously I was using Redding type s bushing dies. I've use the collet die combination on 308 and 30-06 and I always bump the shoulder first. Not really sure if it matters but my logic tells me that the last operation should involve the neck, that way no operation happens after neck sizing which could which could introduce variation into the case necks. I use a bench source annealing machine too and with this collet/body process I'm able to get consistent neck tension, no donut formation and stellar vertical performance at long range. I like the combo so much that I'm looking to have Lee make a collet die for my 6BR too.

In this article, Salazar tested 2 step neck sizing (sizing down the neck in 2 steps) using bushing dies. He found necking first, before F/L sizing produced straighter necks. I don't know if this would also apply in using the Lee collet die, but I use a Lee collet die and a F/L Redding body die. I neck size with the collet die first and then F/L body die. I haven't taken the time to do side by side tests to see if it makes any difference with the Collet die.

The Rifleman's Journal: Reloading: Two-Step Sizing and Concentricity