• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lee die sets compared to others manufactures

barryaclarke

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2012
Bourbonnais, IL
Looking at the different die set manufactures, the Lee die sets seem to be always priced a lot less than the other die sets from other producers. Even the Lee Deluxe “Carbide” die sets are very reasonable priced. I have never used Lee and have always used the more expensive sets. Does any have an opinion regarding Lee and why they are priced so far under the competition? Or is it the old saying, you get what you pay for?

The Lee dies have served me well. I can't complain about them. I have bought a set of forester dies for some of my rifle calibers to get mic seating dies, has my accuracy improved with the foresters? No. The forester dies are bushing dies so I can do more things with them. I think the interior finish on the Forster is better and makes for making 6xc out of 22-250 brass better than the Lee dies. I can't complain about the Lee dies at all.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I use Forester seaters and Redding bushing comp. and body dies. As a $25 experiment, I tried the collet die for a 223 bolt gun a few
years ago, It was the most accurate ammo for THAT gun. You do need to polish them to run smooth.
I just got a collet die for my 260 to see if it works. haven't compared it yet. Plus, you get the powder dipper included!

I use Lee dies for all my pistol loadings, I have a couple sets for rifle but mostly RCBS. I do like the collet Neck sizing die for 30/06 and the dead length bullet seater seems to be very repeatable. I definitely prefer the Green box FL Resizing dies as I seem to get less runout with them.

I also use Lee (carbide) dies for pistol, and have loaded thousands of rounds with zero issues and it's nice they come with the shell holder. For the money I am satisfied with Lee pistol dies. All the rifle dies I have are RCBS and again have no complaints. I'm no precision loader, but with care and patience I get darn good results from box stock RCBS rifle dies for 5.56 and 7.62 using a RCBS RockChucker.

Last edited:
They work just fine. I use them for handgun loading and rifle cartridges I don't use much. But Redding and RCBS are my choices for my high volume rifle loading dies. I've had a few rough rifle sizers from Lee and just have a lot more faith in green boxes, especially considering the benefits of a lifetime warranty.

Hello Big Z,

Thanks for your reply. I forgot about the lifetime warranty. I have used RCBS for over 40 years and anytime I've ever had a problem, they correct it on the spot.

Barry

I have had great luck with the Lee Collet dies in 308 & 260 and just ordered a 243 set. Using Lapua and once fired Rem brass without issues. On 5th reload with only minor neck trimming. Concentricity guage shows all bullets within 0.001-0.002 and have been shooting regularly less than 0.5 MOA. Have also had good results with Redding and Hornady competition dies, but more expensive and work the brass more. The Lee work fine for my purposes-primarily punching steel at distance.

I used to use them on a 308 and switched to Forster micrometer seater and redding fl bushing dies, no way I would ever use a lee die again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello sib1048

Thanks for the reply. Looks like many say the Lee is OK. I still wonder why they are so less expensive than the others?

Barry

Simple rule with Lee. If it's steel it's good, if it's plastic it's crap with the exception of their powder "dippers" (if that's what you want).

Lee dies are short on finish. Not as polished as the others but as far as operation, a Sizing die makes straight cases and their seating dies seat bullets pretty straight as well.

If all you want to do is size a case, charge with powder and seat a bullet, can't beat Lee. If you want to play with bushings, shoulder bumps, and need a micrometer on your seating dies then Lee is definitely NOT for you.

Love their collet die for just "neck sizing" and their Factory Crimp Die for .223 and 9mm. All my other dies are Redding, RCBS, or Forster. I might be getting a Whidden .308 die set soon but am still debating what more it will do for me.

I have loaded some very good ammunition with Lee dies, and have never had any problems with them. I started using a Forster Micrometer seating die, cause I think it will give me more accurate bullet seating, but I can really say it is any better than the Lee die.

I have tried all dies, but nothing beats the Lee sizing die in rifle dies. I have compared all brands, and found the Lee sizing die gives me the less runout.