• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lee Factory Crimp Die

Chinga

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2021
Australia
Hi everyone Just wondering if anyone is using the LFCD on their rounds. I currently reload 308 and was wondering what effect on velocity crimping my bullets will do. I currently run 2980fps and if I crimp will my velocity increase. Also will it effect my pressures? And the big question....will it improve my SD and ES results?
Thanks in advance

I use it because I'm a stubborn old poor and I want my SHTF ammo crimped. It hasn't hurt my accuracy on the ammo I crimp, FMJs. As far as affecting all those other things I think you'll just have to test it yourself with your components and your gun. Just MHO.

I use it on just about every handgun and lever action round. I use it on most semi auto rounds for rifles. I've never velocity tested with and without, and I've never seen pressures that look odd. Basically, if I load it on a Dillon, I use an FCD. If I load it on a Forster, I don't crimp. I find them superior, in every way, to other crimp dies.

What 308 load are you running at that speed?

I use the FCD on just about everything I load for. I usually set it so that it just puts a very slight crimp on the brass.
It may cause your pressures and possibly velocities to go up slightly. I have found it to also make my loads a bit more accurate.

Reactions: Dstoenner
I'm using 45.7gr of varget to get the 2980fps with 155gr hybrid projectiles in lapua brass. I wanted to try crimping but don't own a chrono so didn't want to keep borrowing one and then crimp and increase my pressures as I'm already close to my limits. Do you find that you only get 10 firings out of the shell because you have to keep trimming the crimp off the brass each time you reload?

No need or benefit to crimp a bullet that has no cannelure, especially on precision loads. Use proper neck tension. I load for a few precision gas guns. I never crimp non cannelured bullets, no need to.

The only time I'll consider crimping is on cannelured bullets to be stored for SHTF use.

Reactions: sawgunner2001